The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On the Road - Initial Thoughts

Simon C

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone advise how you set the climate control to a specific temperature and where this might be displayed or is it just by the temp wheel with no digital readout?
Set to Auto works best - you can see the set temperature in the top of the display as you turn the knob - was 30c here today and worked fine to keep at 22c - set and forget

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
12) Rear loading bay - would have preferred rubber matting to slippy tray where anything lose slides around
You're the first person I've seen who's mentioned this. It bugs me because the dogs slide around on it without extra matting (which I've added). Some of the plastics in the interior are a bit disappointing. The internal materials and configuration/storage is not a patch on that in the ND, except that it's larger which is something.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Took delivery Saturday of a Grenadier Utility Petrol and have now driven 170 miles home plus 30 miles locally. Key points:

1) Very smooth on the road - relaxing, quiet (no rattles and little wind or road noise) and easy to drive.
2) Steering as expected with its rugged old school design is in my view ‘spongy’ and requires concentration at high speed. Cornering is very good compared to G-Wagens and Landrovers. This doesn’t feel like driving a shed when you come to a chicane. I’ve yet to test the limits though.
3) Brakes are excellent
4) Vision is good through mirrors and side windows. Rear vision via door is poor as expected.
5) MPG of 24 on run of 170 miles at between 50 and 70 mph
6) “The Bulge under my left foot” - At over 6ft once I’d adjusted the steering and seat was fine - perhaps not perfect but not worth worrying about
7) Windscreen wipers - Not an issue
8) Engine - terrific - quiet, powerful and always responsive. Surprisingly nippy at overtaking (can’t believe I am saying that).
9) Door closure - these do not close gently and require a fair degree of effort as does the bonnet. As I discovered failure to close the door will prevent you from driving away
10) Warnings - the number of warnings appearing on central display is alarming at times.
11) Lack of central speedo - I think this is an improvement as your eyeliner is less cluttered. Speed is easily seen in central display
12) Rear loading bay - would have preferred rubber matting to slippy tray where anything lose slides around
13) Quality - I’m not into fine detail like some but panel gaps all look fine to me.

I am delighted with the vehicle although some of my options remain outstanding so will have to have these fitted at a later date. Given the Ineos story I can accept this especially as they seem to have created something special.

NB. My tips for the doubters, sign the contract, don’t change your order, pay when asked and be patient. You will ultimately be very very happy with your decision.
How is the vehicle ~30 days later?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:19 AM
Reaction score
Further to my photos posted earlier, my random impressions after first 24 hrs, 321 miles and av. mpg (imp) 23.5, & still running-in

Seating position – commanding and very comfortable, armrest on window cill a pleasure

Pedal positions - very convenient

Left leg / hump – absolutely no problem. what’s all the fuss about?

Brakes – very reassuring

Visibility – excellent forward vision, able to judge width and front corners of vehicle with ease, rear view mirror – limited but to be expected, side mirror very good – would have been even better with blind-spot illumination

Steering – took a little adjusting to (took me back to my days now long ago driving/rallying a SIIA), -motorway/dual carriageway a doddle (speeds up to 85), - narrow winding country roads (up to 70) – definitely 2 hands, you soon adjust to “load & go” feedback through the steering, having regard to the weight of the vehicle and speed so progress is very similar to my previous about-to-be-sold car – single track roads, car parks – steering slightly on the heavy side, requires care to get the lines right

Cabin noise – remarkably quiet at all speeds even with safari windows always open/on tilt, well able to converse normally

Radio – sound more good enough for me, volume in town set at 6 on the open 7 (goes up to 14), reception on all 3 bands (dab, fm & am) in urban areas very good, however in more remote areas the reception varies between poor to non-existent ( no reception of any sort on A9 north of Pitlochry right through to the entire Fort William area) – I had hoped for a superior aerial system

Lights – interior cabin very pleasing and fully adjustable, main beam (incl auxiliary) impressive and better than xenons – dipped beam disappointing, definitely in need of additional front fog lights – haven’t tested the auto lights function properly yet, more concerned with seeing and being seen

Speedometer – just not an issue, central speedo remains firmly in sight at all times – anybody bumping their gums either needs Specsavers or it’s a vanity issue

12v & usb outlets – locations designed by an idiot, certainly lacking everyday practicality – in need of additional outlets either above or below front dash

Motor & transmission – very smooth seamless gear changes, a fraction sluggish from standing start (but then it’s 2.7t and I’m running-in gently), excellent acceleration from 50 – 80

Stop/start – not an issue, a slight tweak of the steering wheel …

Winch – not tested – too early

Towing – not tested, too early

Fuel consumption – in line with expectations, expecting a further 4/6mpg on full loosening up

Finally my sincere thanks to my dealer – Grange in Edinburgh – who have had to put with my twice weekly visits over the last 4½ months (fed up with CS BS, and being a white of the eyes man), and moved mountains to get my vehicle to me so beautifully prepared

The “Gren GRIN” is there and well worth the wait, I doubt it’ll be fading for years …
After over another month are you still have to two hand it when driving on the highways?

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After over another month are you still have to two hand it when driving on the highways?

Absolutely not, that was just in the first 24 hrs whilst adjusting to steering a rather larger and heavier vehicle! I've now covered over 4,000 miles and drive in my usual completely relaxed style.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone advise how you set the climate control to a specific temperature and where this might be displayed or is it just by the temp wheel with no digital readout?
When you rotate the temperature control a bar display appears at the top of the display but only briefly.
I have not had much chance to try it out yet.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
After a while, you get a feeling for the dial and turn it by estimate.

My default setting is upper-center, which feels comfortable to my taste - unless it's very hot, in which case I give it a push for a few minutes, but then go back to my default setting.

Yes, the Grenadier has/needs more manual control than most other cars. :)

The nice thing is that you therefore always know what's going on. :cool:

Last edited:

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Took delivery Saturday of a Grenadier Utility Petrol and have now driven 170 miles home plus 30 miles locally. Key points:

1) Very smooth on the road - relaxing, quiet (no rattles and little wind or road noise) and easy to drive.
2) Steering as expected with its rugged old school design is in my view ‘spongy’ and requires concentration at high speed. Cornering is very good compared to G-Wagens and Landrovers. This doesn’t feel like driving a shed when you come to a chicane. I’ve yet to test the limits though.
3) Brakes are excellent
4) Vision is good through mirrors and side windows. Rear vision via door is poor as expected.
5) MPG of 24 on run of 170 miles at between 50 and 70 mph
6) “The Bulge under my left foot” - At over 6ft once I’d adjusted the steering and seat was fine - perhaps not perfect but not worth worrying about
7) Windscreen wipers - Not an issue
8) Engine - terrific - quiet, powerful and always responsive. Surprisingly nippy at overtaking (can’t believe I am saying that).
9) Door closure - these do not close gently and require a fair degree of effort as does the bonnet. As I discovered failure to close the door will prevent you from driving away
10) Warnings - the number of warnings appearing on central display is alarming at times.
11) Lack of central speedo - I think this is an improvement as your eyeliner is less cluttered. Speed is easily seen in central display
13) Quality - I’m not into fine detail like some but panel gaps all look fine to me.

I am delighted with the vehicle although some of my options remain outstanding so will have to have these fitted at a later date. Given the Ineos story I can accept this especially as they seem to have created something special.

NB. My tips for the doubters, sign the contract, don’t change your order, pay when asked and be patient. You will ultimately be very very happy with your decision.
My commentary (at 2700, petrol, until now, just city and road):
1) absolutely agree. The sensation i s to drive a very strong vehicle, very tight and perfectly put together. Very different from the 'part assembly' sensation of a Defender (that was not bad, but different). The plus of that is that, combining also tha gas consumption, that drives you to drive as a gentleman and not spirited as I was used...
2) being 'really' old school, I find the Grenadier steering precise if not direct, the effecyt of a good steering damper is evidenti. Concentration at high speed, in my opinion, is more needed because weight and dimensions than because the steering. In the not too large roads of my island, teh first times, to pass a TIR in a bend is not very relaxing!
3) Fully agree. Powerful and well balanced.
4) Agree.
5) On the road, that is a possible mileage, but you have to be very careful in taking advantage of the inertia of the transmission. Never add gas when is not needed. Sooth ride, foot on the egg...In the city it is incredible that the official Ineos data is practically always confirmed (14.4 l/100 km). BTW, I'm quickly learning the secrets od an economy run with an automatic...
6) Left drive. Also left drive has a left foot support. As in my old 911 turbo, very comfortable.
7) Burning sun, here, and until yesterday, temperature around 40°C. Wipers tested to sweep bugs, perfect.
9) My top favorite in the Grenadier. The doors close as in a aged Mercedes Benz,also when everything is sealed. A very consistent and fool proof thump. Sometimes I repeat the closure just to listen that thump...
10) Warnings. By now, with 95% certainty, the following errors come on in succession, with each repetition of the ignition procedure (pre-starting) that I have developed: parking sensor, gearbox, airbag, e-call. Two or three cycles and they disappear. Only then start the engine. It's not a big deal but they promised me that the update is on the way. Let's hope so.
11) Agree, fully agree.
12) Could be, not very relevant for me. Easier to clean.
13) Coming from a Defender, but used to Porsche, it is outstanding for the kind of vehicle....

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
9) My top favorite in the Grenadier. The doors close as in a aged Mercedes Benz,also when everything is sealed. A very consistent and fool proof thump. Sometimes I repeat the closure just to listen that thump...
+ 1 😂

Local time
Reaction score
OK, so some further initial thoughts. I've only done about 50 miles in it so far. The steering on the road is fine, but the turning circle for close quarters is not that tight. This is probably exacerbated by the number of turns lock to lock so you have to be quicker off the mark. I was warned to expect random spurious error messages and I have had three so far. Transmission warning, TPSM error and loss of signal to the tyre pressure sensors. Apparently these should be addressed with future software updates. I have also noticed there is vibration through the transmission at about 1900rpm. Has anyone else experienced this and does it ease off with more miles on the clock? Hoping once it is run in it will reduce a bit. Apart from that everything else is great.
Just back from a trip to Mozambique from Cape Town. Significant buzzing/ vibration at about 2000 rpm on both acceleration and deceleration through this range.

MRO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My commentary (at 2700, petrol, until now, just city and road):
1) absolutely agree. The sensation i s to drive a very strong vehicle, very tight and perfectly put together. Very different from the 'part assembly' sensation of a Defender (that was not bad, but different). The plus of that is that, combining also tha gas consumption, that drives you to drive as a gentleman and not spirited as I was used...
2) being 'really' old school, I find the Grenadier steering precise if not direct, the effecyt of a good steering damper is evidenti. Concentration at high speed, in my opinion, is more needed because weight and dimensions than because the steering. In the not too large roads of my island, teh first times, to pass a TIR in a bend is not very relaxing!
3) Fully agree. Powerful and well balanced.
4) Agree.
5) On the road, that is a possible mileage, but you have to be very careful in taking advantage of the inertia of the transmission. Never add gas when is not needed. Sooth ride, foot on the egg...In the city it is incredible that the official Ineos data is practically always confirmed (14.4 l/100 km). BTW, I'm quickly learning the secrets od an economy run with an automatic...
6) Left drive. Also left drive has a left foot support. As in my old 911 turbo, very comfortable.
7) Burning sun, here, and until yesterday, temperature around 40°C. Wipers tested to sweep bugs, perfect.
10) Warnings. By now, with 95% certainty, the following errors come on in succession, with each repetition of the ignition procedure (pre-starting) that I have developed: parking sensor, gearbox, airbag, e-call. Two or three cycles and they disappear. Only then start the engine. It's not a big deal but they promised me that the update is on the way. Let's hope so.
11) Agree, fully agree.
12) Could be, not very relevant for me. Easier to clean.
13) Coming from a Defender, but used to Porsche, it is outstanding for the kind of vehicle....
Agree with all except steering. I have driven 735 miles today (passed 2 broken down current gen Defenders and 4 running grenadiers).

The steering is just too vague, particularly in a wind. There are a couple of inches of play which can hopefully be adjusted out, and it really could do with more self centring for better location of straight ahead at speed. Not a problem at lower speeds, in fact it handles surprisingly well although gets thrown off line a bit on broken roads.

Other than that, very comfortable and fast enough, too thirsty (but only crossed 2,000 miles today) and really pleased with it.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just back from a trip to Mozambique from Cape Town. Significant buzzing/ vibration at about 2000 rpm on both acceleration and deceleration through this range.
Others have reported that getting under and looking where heat shields are contacting other components and bending them out a bit can help.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Check these 2 threads

Local time
6:19 PM
Reaction score
I took a diesel Fieldmaster for a long test drive approx 270 km over a variety of roads,motorway,a weel used rough local road,two lane road ,mountain range,plains then a back road (ussually gravel but this time mostly mud
I was impressed. I am 190 cm but without any steps its kinda alward to get in,my Toyota Fortunr has a side step and a handle on the a pillar. I am sure you get used to it.
The left hand footrest(we are RHD in NZ) is not an issue. It sure felt weird at first compared to the Fortuner which has high pedals compared to the IG. It felt like my right foot was stretched way out and my left knee was up round my chin. But you very quickly get used to it. Visibilty is superb except out the back. I seemed to run out of adjustemnt in the side mirrors couldnt get them out quiite wide enough.
This thing is comfortable! The seats are superb and the ride is really good.
The steering is also not an issue.I really did not notice it until i got into some tight turns where i had to turn the wheel back.This takes no mental effort,after years of driving the body just does it. .
I was really looking forward to the back road as i wanted to see how it behaved on a rougher surface. It handled it all with ease. The mild corugations had no unseetling effect at all. The fortuner tends to skip and slide a bit on corrugations.
It was quite muddy and slippery in places but the Grenadier was very sure footed. At one point i stopped and put the centre diff lock in. Didnt seem to make any difference.(I know you dont have to stop but i wasnt sure then) I wanted to get a feel for the gearing of low range but i could not select low range(yes i was stopped and it was in neutral) The agent had already told me this.
Brakes were ok,was a little bit disapointed(the odo was 4500km).Motor really nice and gearshifts almost inpercebtible. Average consumption was 12 l 100k,but there was a fair bit of climbing. The safari window rattled if it was open.
On the way back stopped at traffic lights there was a slight rattle/vibration,seemed to be fron the transmission? There were also times that there was a slight vibration at approx 100 km/hr. I later had trans mission error show on middle screen but it went way after a couple of minutes.The doors a easy to shut if you a have safari windows or any window open.
I now have to make a desicion. The prices have really gone up here.At ordering time a trial master started at NZ$107225.A trialmaster is now NZ$134500.There are significant on road costs too. I reckon they are worth it but now I am retired....thats a pile of cash.
Sorry for the slightly disjointed ramble

Attachments

• gren1.jpg
    gren1.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 58
  • gren2.jpg
    gren2.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 58
  • gren3.jpg
    gren3.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 57

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agree with all except steering. I have driven 735 miles today (passed 2 broken down current gen Defenders and 4 running grenadiers).

The steering is just too vague, particularly in a wind. There are a couple of inches of play which can hopefully be adjusted out, and it really could do with more self centring for better location of straight ahead at speed. Not a problem at lower speeds, in fact it handles surprisingly well although gets thrown off line a bit on broken roads.

Other than that, very comfortable and fast enough, too thirsty (but only crossed 2,000 miles today) and really pleased with it.
I think there has to be variance in how Ineos are setting up steering. You mentioned a play of 2”. I have play in the region of 1/2” and my steering does self centre although a bit on the slow side. My experience of steering is very positive. Equally, there are plenty of comments similar to yours. Hopefully, your steering can be adjusted and make for a more enjoyable experience.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think there has to be variance in how Ineos are setting up steering. You mentioned a play of 2”. I have play in the region of 1/2” and my steering does self centre although a bit on the slow side. My experience of steering is very positive. Equally, there are plenty of comments similar to yours. Hopefully, your steering can be adjusted and make for a more enjoyable experience.
It would be interesting to know where and what the adjustments are.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I took a demo car for a drive today - and it had at least 1 inch of play either side of center before you could feel the steering take effect.
What seems to be the general consensus on this?

Back
Top Bottom