The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On the Road - Initial Thoughts

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score
Or a pre 1980s Land Cruiser?

Slop doesn't even begin to describe the excess play in half a dozen ball joints between the steering wheel and the tires.
Even when all are replaced with new ones!
Our old cars are wizard's sleeves for sure. You never quite know what magic they are going to spring on you.

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Or a pre 1980s Land Cruiser?

Slop doesn't even begin to describe the excess play in half a dozen ball joints between the steering wheel and the tires.
I never understood why some new drivers were nervous crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Then I got an FJ40 from back then with a worn out steering box and stupid-huge mud terrains. I took it over the Bridge and was absolutely terrified.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
I never understood why some new drivers were nervous crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Then I got an FJ40 from back then with a worn out steering box and stupid-huge mud terrains. I took it over the Bridge and was absolutely terrified.
While not quite on task, this bridge terrifies me!

1692153702184.jpeg

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
It's part of the Atlantic Road in Norway.

atlantic-road-drone-image-1536x864.jpeg

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
Love it, is that for real.
It's the retired civil engineer in me 👍
Yes, as others have shown. I’m not sure what the meaning is, but I have recurring “unpleasant dreams” that involve bridges. This one has appeared multiple times.

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
Steering. Oh my, steering.
Late last night I had one of the drives of my life. Great fun but needing more concentration than the usual run on this route. 80 miles (130km) on roads I have driven since the early 1960’s – so I know ‘em fairly well. Except this time it was 22.00 and in the mother and father of an English thunderstorm. The rain was bouncing off the road high enough to deaden the low spot lights of the oncoming traffic. And the lightning… almost continuous, lit everything up, nearly as good as street lights except for the dark bits between the flashes.

I found out three things with the Gren that I wasn’t aware of previously.

1. Flood water on the tarmac can cause the Gren to swing asymmetrically. 20 to 30mm is no problem, deeper than that at 40mph (65kph) WILL cause a swing unless both wheels are dunked and then the Gren just slows a bit. Aquaplane? Didn’t dare go that fast! Because..
  2. Wipers. That volume of rain at 40mph was more that the wipers could cope with even at full batt.
  3. Steering. Absolutely no problem. Accurate, controllable even with the flood water ‘throw’ to the left. Using a VW Golf ahead as pilot for the duration of the storm – he was a ‘local’, knew the road and was in a hurry – it was easy to keep up with him even on reduced visibility.
  4. Power? My N1 diesel could have overtaken him if I’d been brave (or daft) enough. For most of that chase I was only tickling the throttle and getting 22.5mpg (according to Ineos!) and keeping up with him. Yes, 'him'; I saw him clearly as he turned off and looked to see what had chased him.
  5. Eventually the storm ran out of wet to throw at me and the wipers could have a rest. Or so I thought. It took a short while to realise that vision forward was getting poor and then a bit longer to realise that it was misting on the windscreen. Outside, not inside! Flick with the wipers and we had vision again. Repeat for the last 40 miles of the journey, some on pause, some manual. I eventually worked out what the cause was – humidity, noted at 80% at home. The aircon blowing on the screen had reduced it temperature to the point where the great sweaty outside was condensing on the screen. I’ve had it happen in small amounts near the screen vents, but this was across the entire driver vision area. Irritating. Anyone else noticed this?
I’m now at 1450 miles and all the usual ‘faults’ but the Gren grin has not abated one little bit.

Smarty24

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
Late last night I had one of the drives of my life. Great fun but needing more concentration than the usual run on this route. 80 miles (130km) on roads I have driven since the early 1960’s – so I know ‘em fairly well. Except this time it was 22.00 and in the mother and father of an English thunderstorm. The rain was bouncing off the road high enough to deaden the low spot lights of the oncoming traffic. And the lightning… almost continuous, lit everything up, nearly as good as street lights except for the dark bits between the flashes.

1. Flood water on the tarmac can cause the Gren to swing asymmetrically. 20 to 30mm is no problem, deeper than that at 40mph (65kph) WILL cause a swing unless both wheels are dunked and then the Gren just slows a bit. Aquaplane? Didn’t dare go that fast! Because..
  2. Wipers. That volume of rain at 40mph was more that the wipers could cope with even at full batt.
  3. Steering. Absolutely no problem. Accurate, controllable even with the flood water ‘throw’ to the left. Using a VW Golf ahead as pilot for the duration of the storm – he was a ‘local’, knew the road and was in a hurry – it was easy to keep up with him even on reduced visibility.
  4. Power? My N1 diesel could have overtaken him if I’d been brave (or daft) enough. For most of that chase I was only tickling the throttle and getting 22.5mpg (according to Ineos!) and keeping up with him. Yes, 'him'; I saw him clearly as he turned off and looked to see what had chased him.
  5. Eventually the storm ran out of wet to throw at me and the wipers could have a rest. Or so I thought. It took a short while to realise that vision forward was getting poor and then a bit longer to realise that it was misting on the windscreen. Outside, not inside! Flick with the wipers and we had vision again. Repeat for the last 40 miles of the journey, some on pause, some manual. I eventually worked out what the cause was – humidity, noted at 80% at home. The aircon blowing on the screen had reduced it temperature to the point where the great sweaty outside was condensing on the screen. I’ve had it happen in small amounts near the screen vents, but this was across the entire driver vision area. Irritating. Anyone else noticed this?
I’m now at 1450 miles and all the usual ‘faults’ but the Gren grin has not abated one little bit.
Ja das Problem mit den beschlagenen Scheiben habe ich auch. Die Feuchtigkeit ist auch bei mir außen auf der Scheibe.

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
I disagree, totally. 80 miles in 135 minutes and arrive fresh enough for a read of the papers & a pint at nearly midnight..... couldn't possibly be called anywhere near horrible.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
I disagree, totally. 80 miles in 135 minutes and arrive fresh enough for a read of the papers & a pint at nearly midnight..... couldn't possibly be called anywhere near horrible.
Cool, I'm glad you like them. I was attributing the hydroplaning to the KO2. Their have been many individuals that have commented on the BFG in rain since they changed their compound. I know I will be getting rid of them when they arrive for my standard tire Falken Wildpeaks AT3W.

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
i think I answered this earlier but my erroneous warnings were on the central display. I have to admit to driving a few miles with a red bonnet signal repeatedly appearing. It was starting to annoy me as I thought it meant I was driving too close to the car in front. So I stopped and lo and behold the bonnet wasn’t fully closed - it also requires a good thump to close!
Haha. I did that too from the agent. Got out to have a look and spotted it before I got to the end of their car yard door thank goodness.

Reactions: PBD

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Windscreen outside steaming seems to happen far more in the Aussie humidity when I have a/c controls set on recirculate rather than fresh air. Seems to push more air to windscreen perhaps on this setting?

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
'Play in the steering'is being cited a fair bit in reference to the Grenadier. I'm not sure 'play' is the term I would use to describe the lack of response felt around the centre position. I would say there is near zero play in the steering on my own vehicle but that doesn't mean it's a responsive system to use. Correctly adjusted, a power assisted recirculating ball steering box has internal preload which is the opposite of play. Perhaps what is being described as play is a dead zone in the steering where there is little to no response felt at the road wheels after turning the steering wheel a small amount. This is an artifact of recirculating ball steering over a live axle. Quite a bit of motion is taken up in the conversion of rotary input of the steering wheel plus linkage movement due to travel of the suspension before a linear output is produced at the steering knuckles. Rack and pinion steering (on IFS vehicles) is a far more responsive system with fewer components.
Not saying there aren't Grenadiers on the road with poorly adjusted or even faulty steering boxes, but 'play', also known as 'slop' or 'backlash', would be exceptional.
I agree totally, it’s a feel thing, not excess movement or looseness. You get used to it and it feels easier/natural within a few days to return steering to centre manually. And my steering feels rock solid - definitely no play in it.

Back
Top Bottom