The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On the Road - Initial Thoughts

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone advise how you set the climate control to a specific temperature and where this might be displayed or is it just by the temp wheel with no digital readout?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone advise how you set the climate control to a specific temperature and where this might be displayed or is it just by the temp wheel with no digital readout?
My understanding is that you get it to a comfortable temperature and then press auto and it will maintain that temperature 🤔

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
With the Grenadier, even though the selector shows the same three options (Drive, Sport and Manual) there is no Sport mode, only Drive and Manual
If you just flick the lever across to S and leave it there does it change the gearing at all, e.g, hold the gears longer when accelerating?

Last edited:

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Further to my photos posted earlier, my random impressions after first 24 hrs, 321 miles and av. mpg (imp) 23.5, & still running-in

Seating position – commanding and very comfortable, armrest on window cill a pleasure

Pedal positions - very convenient

Left leg / hump – absolutely no problem. what’s all the fuss about?

Brakes – very reassuring

Visibility – excellent forward vision, able to judge width and front corners of vehicle with ease, rear view mirror – limited but to be expected, side mirror very good – would have been even better with blind-spot illumination

Steering – took a little adjusting to (took me back to my days now long ago driving/rallying a SIIA), -motorway/dual carriageway a doddle (speeds up to 85), - narrow winding country roads (up to 70) – definitely 2 hands, you soon adjust to “load & go” feedback through the steering, having regard to the weight of the vehicle and speed so progress is very similar to my previous about-to-be-sold car – single track roads, car parks – steering slightly on the heavy side, requires care to get the lines right

Cabin noise – remarkably quiet at all speeds even with safari windows always open/on tilt, well able to converse normally

Radio – sound more good enough for me, volume in town set at 6 on the open 7 (goes up to 14), reception on all 3 bands (dab, fm & am) in urban areas very good, however in more remote areas the reception varies between poor to non-existent ( no reception of any sort on A9 north of Pitlochry right through to the entire Fort William area) – I had hoped for a superior aerial system

Lights – interior cabin very pleasing and fully adjustable, main beam (incl auxiliary) impressive and better than xenons – dipped beam disappointing, definitely in need of additional front fog lights – haven’t tested the auto lights function properly yet, more concerned with seeing and being seen

Speedometer – just not an issue, central speedo remains firmly in sight at all times – anybody bumping their gums either needs Specsavers or it’s a vanity issue

12v & usb outlets – locations designed by an idiot, certainly lacking everyday practicality – in need of additional outlets either above or below front dash

Motor & transmission – very smooth seamless gear changes, a fraction sluggish from standing start (but then it’s 2.7t and I’m running-in gently), excellent acceleration from 50 – 80

Stop/start – not an issue, a slight tweak of the steering wheel …

Winch – not tested – too early

Towing – not tested, too early

Fuel consumption – in line with expectations, expecting a further 4/6mpg on full loosening up

Finally my sincere thanks to my dealer – Grange in Edinburgh – who have had to put with my twice weekly visits over the last 4½ months (fed up with CS BS, and being a white of the eyes man), and moved mountains to get my vehicle to me so beautifully prepared

The “Gren GRIN” is there and well worth the wait, I doubt it’ll be fading for years …

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Further to my photos posted earlier, my random impressions after first 24 hrs, 321 miles and av. mpg (imp) 23.5, & still running-in

Seating position – commanding and very comfortable, armrest on window cill a pleasure

Brakes – very reassuring

Visibility – excellent forward vision, able to judge width and front corners of vehicle with ease, rear view mirror – limited but to be expected, side mirror very good – would have been even better with blind-spot illumination

Steering – took a little adjusting to (took me back to my days now long ago driving/rallying a SIIA), -motorway/dual carriageway a doddle (speeds up to 85), - narrow winding country roads (up to 70) – definitely 2 hands, you soon adjust to “load & go” feedback through the steering, having regard to the weight of the vehicle and speed so progress is very similar to my previous about-to-be-sold car – single track roads, car parks – steering slightly on the heavy side, requires care to get the lines right

Cabin noise – remarkably quiet at all speeds even with safari windows always open/on tilt, well able to converse normally

Radio – sound more good enough for me, volume in town set at 6 on the open 7 (goes up to 14), reception on all 3 bands (dab, fm & am) in urban areas very good, however in more remote areas the reception varies between poor to non-existent ( no reception of any sort on A9 north of Pitlochry right through to the entire Fort William area) – I had hoped for a superior aerial system

Lights – interior cabin very pleasing and fully adjustable, main beam (incl auxiliary) impressive and better than xenons – dipped beam disappointing, definitely in need of additional front fog lights – haven’t tested the auto lights function properly yet, more concerned with seeing and being seen

Speedometer – just not an issue, central speedo remains firmly in sight at all times – anybody bumping their gums either needs Specsavers or it’s a vanity issue

12v & usb outlets – locations designed by an idiot, certainly lacking everyday practicality – in need of additional outlets either above or below front dash

Motor & transmission – very smooth seamless gear changes, a fraction sluggish from standing start (but then it’s 2.7t and I’m running-in gently), excellent acceleration from 50 – 80

Fuel consumption – in line with expectations, expecting a further 4/6mpg on full loosening up

Finally my sincere thanks to my dealer – Grange in Edinburgh – who have had to put with my twice weekly visits over the last 4½ months (fed up with CS BS, and being a white of the eyes man), and moved mountains to get my vehicle to me so beautifully prepared

The “Gren GRIN” is there and well worth the wait, I doubt it’ll be fading for years …
Great feed back, but how did you manage to acquire it so early with only signing the contract very recently. I signed 4 months before and its still an invisible car?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Brakes – very reassuring

thanks for the great summary. a couple of posts have mentioned transmission vibrations at 1900rpm. incase can comment/check out next time.

enjoy

CB

Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
Collected mine this afternoon from Northampton and am absolutely delighted with it.

For me, the steering is no issue at all - it’s just like my G Wagen, but better. Road holding surprised me in how good it is (there is very little body roll) and the suppression of road surface bumps and potholes is outstanding. Given it’s off-road capabilities, on road it’s quiet enough and it’s fast enough. Quieter and faster than my G Wagen.

I found it very easy to drive immediately. It’s easy to see all four corners, it’s not too big, although it is tall. I’m delighted.

Like all new cars, the dash system will take a bit of getting used to, but it seems intuitive enough - Android Auto only took a couple of clicks once the phone was connected and it worked first time.

Seats are very comfortable - driven about 2 hours so far. The left leg position is different, but not a problem And I’ll get used to it.

Engine and gearbox are as expected - superb (I’ve had a more highly tuned version of this combination in a BMW X5). One thing that is different is the lack of gearbox sport mode. On the BMW, leaving the selector on the right gave Drive, with relaxed gear changes and changing up as soon as possible. Moving the selector to the left gave Sport, where the engine held the gear for longer before changing up (typically 2,000 rpm) and also provided much more engine breaking. In Sport, it was then possible to select Manual changes. I used to drive around in Sport most of the time, as keeping engine revs up helped with preventing soot build up and I hardly ever had the X5 go into regeneration mode.

With the Grenadier, even though the selector shows the same three options (Drive, Sport and Manual) there is no Sport mode, only Drive and Manual. I’ll just need to remember to manually hold gears now and again.

The sound system is OK, but I’ll probably have a look at this going forward. That being said, I’m going to leave it for a month and then decide.

I should get a better idea after the weekend with a trip to Anfield on Saturday and Badminton on Sunday. Can’t wait!
Is Android Auto wireless? At the drive event I attended, no definitive answer was given by the rep.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Highwayman Is the phone connection wireless or is a cable required for Android Auto to work?
To use Android Auto, you need to connect via either of the USB posits (1A and 1C) inside the central cubby box. That triggers an additional option on the central screen. Press that and you’re up and running.

In addition, you can pair your phone via Bluetooth without using a cable - but that doesn’t get you Android Auto.

Hope that helps

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you just flick the lever across to S and leave it there does it change the gearing at all, e.g, hold the gears longer when accelerating?
Flicking the lever puts the gearbox into Manual mode - so it holds gears unless you decide to change them

There is no “Sport” option

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s the latter. Press Auto, adjust the temp wheel, and it keeps to it - seemed to work yesterday, but not really stress tested it yet

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great feed back, but how did you manage to acquire it so early with only signing the contract very recently. I signed 4 months before and its still an invisible car?
thanks for the great summary. a couple of posts have mentioned transmission vibrations at 1900rpm. incase can comment/check out next time.

enjoy

@Nomad pure luck! Someone must love me!

@ECrider Fingers crossed, not applicable in my case - long may that continue.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
no. a compromise between a new car and some reliability test for the project i guess.

80k or 8k? As your vid today on infotainment had the odometer at 9127 km

Local time
8:47 PM
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom