The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Now Defenders want to look like Grenadiers 😁

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
To my mind... the "MeToo utility belt" is located in the wrong place on the JLR product...wait for broken windows etc!
It can only be used as the lower of two rails. As the upper rail - because of the bulge underneath - you can not hang anything without spacer bolts, which renders it useless to hang anything there.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
Hmmm, most Monday’s to Friday’s I’ll be driving my Iggy into a CBD carpark wearing business clothes, and a lot of weekends it’ll just head around town taking me on non 4wd adventures. Maybe even to a cafe for brunch.
I suppose I’ll fit in with all these daddy’s boys in their Defenders. 😉
Haha but will you actually use it off-road once in a while? Because Defenders drivers in SEQLD do not!!! You need to be in real-estate to drive one here!!!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
Haha but will you actually use it off-road once in a while? Because Defenders drivers in SEQLD do not!!! You need to be in real-estate to drive one here!!!
My mental image of Qld real estate dealers

Attachments

• a489d7c6d570b6d97bafa9b0cbd0622a.jpg
    a489d7c6d570b6d97bafa9b0cbd0622a.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 38

tnkatoy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with you but
You have just described 95% of the SUV's and 4WD's
  • Every Ford Ranger Raptor
  • The tricked out 35" tyres, lift kits, waste gate blasting, exhaust replaced piece of crap
  • Most dual cab utes
  • Any SUV on the roads at school pickup/dropoff times
Agreed, and my Grenadier will be on bitumen most of the time too, even at school drop offs, unfortunately that's just daily life ... but it is also being bought with the intention of being able to have the freedom to continue our enjoyment of going bush camping for a few weeks, fossicking, exploring and on the beach for a bit of surf fishing … basically all the things you would have bought a Defender for, if it was still true to the car it used to be.

I haven't seen many current model defenders doing more than a tentative explore on tame unsealed roads for a bit of a giggle, maybe even something a bit more challenging, but then they quickly scurry back to suburbia for a spit and polish the same day. The idea of using is as an actual 4x4 is more of a novelty than reality, which isn't what Defender was.

RIP Defender ... long live the Grenadier ... king off the road (too soon?)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If he lived in Queensland he wouldn't have legs like a Taswegian or Scotsman (i.e. never seeing the sun)
If you';d attended the Hobart Red Hot Summer rock show on Sunday you'd have seen things have changed in the past 50 years.
Prolly all those mainlanders escaping unliveable summer conditions!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you';d attended the Hobart Red Hot Summer rock show on Sunday you'd have seen things have changed in the past 50 years.
Prolly all those mainlanders escaping unliveable summer conditions!
We just had a few days in a row of 35 but with 2,476% humidity! Sweating whilst getting dry after your nightly shower is bollocks... felt like 40 during the day and what's the point of antiperspirant, when your sweating beads from under your eyes!

Saw another 'well used' New Defender last night... they must have spent $25K on mods and there is not a skerrick of dust on it, the tyres are gleaming black, the fella was wearing boat shoes and linen, the wife had a well presented half poodle!!! Yeah, I know, I am being that guy - but it gets me my daily giggle and I feel better about not having my GREN YET!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Saw another 'well used' New Defender last night... they must have spent $25K on mods and there is not a skerrick of dust on it, the tyres are gleaming black, the fella was wearing boat shoes and linen, the wife had a well presented half poodle!!! Yeah, I know, I am being that guy - but it gets me my daily giggle and I feel better about not having my GREN YET!
Funnily enough I don't give a rats about image and can never wait to get remote enough so as not to see another coiffed human.
Sadly it gets harder, but at least if you have a 4wd and you don't care about scratches, and/or you are prepared to walk away from the gravelled/duckboarded/signed tracks
you can find a dingbat free zone.

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
So they're not attempting to patent the rails, just the idea of using them on a vehicle in the way that they illustrate.
At work we have many patent applications (and patents granted) which use commonplace components in novel ways.
What about bending some L track and inserting it around your King Gee shorts?
"Any tougher m they'd rust."

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
So they're not attempting to patent the rails, just the idea of using them on a vehicle in the way that they illustrate.
You're right, I think. That's what we call a "Gebrauchsmuster" (use pattern?) in Germany, not a patent. The result is then a "Gebrauchsmuster Schutz" - a "use pattern protection".

Back
Top Bottom