The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas No Two-Seater in North America

Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score
The two-seater Grenadier cannot be ordered in North America. This is a shame, for two reasons:

(1) While the Grenadier is considered a big vehicle in Europe, to many Americans, it is sort of small. Perhaps we shouldn't be super-sizing everything, but that is our reality for now. In any case, for many of us who are into "overlanding" or otherwise just want to maximize both room for gear, and payload, the absence of the two-seater option is a shame. The flat floor in the two-seater is great (see photo below):

Two_seater_2.jpg

But for those in North America, if you want a two-seater, you will have to order a station wagon, pay for the second row of seating, and then pull out the seats yourself, and come up with a solution as to how to cover the battery and other electronics that live under the second row seats.

In addition...

(2) The second row just isn't all that useful as a seating option. A couple in the UK posted a "first impressions" review. Here is a screenshot of the legroom in the second row. The guy is 6' tall, and he set the driver's seat to his preference, and then got in the back seat behind the driver's seat. You can see that his knees are pushed into the back of the front seat. Not fun for a trip of more than twenty minutes.

second_row.png

The second row is only useful for seating if it is for smallish children, or if everyone in the car is 5' 10" or less.

Here is their full review, for anyone interested. Apart from the second row seating, they are quite keen on the vehicle:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krijIWkYn_g

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
The two-seater Grenadier cannot be ordered in North America. This is a shame, for two reasons:

(1) While the Grenadier is considered a big vehicle in Europe, to many Americans, it is sort of small. Perhaps we shouldn't be super-sizing everything, but that is our reality for now. In any case, for many of us who are into "overlanding" or otherwise just want to maximize both room for gear, and payload, the absence of the two-seater option is a shame. The flat floor in the two-seater is great (see photo below):

View attachment 7813705

But for those in North America, if you want a two-seater, you will have to order a station wagon, pay for the second row of seating, and then pull out the seats yourself, and come up with a solution as to how to cover the battery and other electronics that live under the second row seats.

In addition...

(2) The second row just isn't all that useful as a seating option. A couple in the UK posted a "first impressions" review. Here is a screenshot of the legroom in the second row. The guy is 6' tall, and he set the driver's seat to his preference, and then got in the back seat behind the driver's seat. You can see that his knees are pushed into the back of the front seat. Not fun for a trip of more than twenty minutes.

View attachment 7813704

The second row is only useful for seating if it is for smallish children, or if everyone in the car is 5' 10" or less.

Here is their full review, for anyone interested. Apart from the second row seating, they are quite keen on the vehicle:

I have ridden in the back seat, I am only 5'10" and my knees were nowhere near th back of the seat.
I noticed in this review that he has the drivers seat fairly low and reclined as if he is driving a car not a 4WD.

Local time
Reaction score
It is also a commercial spec so the back seat is further forward.
What makes you say that it is a commercial spec? He describes it as a 5-seat station wagon, and it has windows in the back, not panels. I think you can order a commercial with windows, so that is not definitive, but I don't see where it is described as a commercial variant. Could you point that out? Thanks.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What makes you say that it is a commercial spec? He describes it as a 5-seat station wagon, and it has windows in the back, not panels. I think you can order a commercial with windows, so that is not definitive, but I don't see where it is described as a commercial variant. Could you point that out? Thanks.
The rear seat back appears to be in the forward position as in the commercial variant…

Local time
Reaction score
The rear seat back appears to be in the forward position as in the commercial variant…
Okay - I'll take your word for it. Good to know that folks with the regular station wagon will have a little extra leg room back there. I'd still rip out that second row 😁

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Okay - I'll take your word for it. Good to know that folks with the regular station wagon will have a little extra leg room back there. I'd still rip out that second row 😁
He has the commercial cargo barrier in the back as well, which forces the backrest to be more upright.
1685138937709.png

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was interested also as I plan to move my rear seat forward to the location pictured.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
I was interested also as I plan to move my rear seat forward to the location pictured.
Plus he complains about the open space in the boot where trim is missing. As others have pointed out on forum that can be found on the commercial variant. I think when the guy ordered,he went for tax break not thinking about spec. He also references the G Wagon that he would like to replicate.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Plus he complains about the open space in the boot where trim is missing. As others have pointed out on forum that can be found on the commercial variant. I think when the guy ordered,he went for tax break not thinking about spec. He also references the G Wagon that he would like to replicate.
Oh, that’s interesting. I’m hoping to install a water tank in the spot he’s complaining about.
I’m sceptical whether I’ll be able to acquire the commercial variant bracketry (for the cargo barrier) while Ineos Automotive Global remains discombobulated. Shouldn’t be hard to fab up if necessary… see how we go.

Might even find a forum member (who purchased a commercial variant and wants to move the configuration rearward) who will swap. Presuming they are interchangeable etc.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
https://www.theineosforum.com/media/back-seat-jpg.9053/fullWhat makes you say that it is a commercial spec? He describes it as a 5-seat station wagon, and it has windows in the back, not panels. I think you can order a commercial with windows, so that is not definitive, but I don't see where it is described as a commercial variant. Could you point that out? Thanks.
The bolsters (and the seat base) in the commercial variant sit back past the C pillar, while the SW they sit 90mm further back

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7813705

In addition...

View attachment 7813704

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:59 PM
Reaction score
Just to reassure others - I’m 6’2” and when we spent a few hours at the roadshow near Atlanta I set the front seat to a comfortable position for me to drive and then sat behind in the rear seat to gauge leg room. No issues at all for me to sit comfortably.

ED Mulrenin

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I am with you. That back set has to go or my. Trailmaster goes.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
The other reason one might want a factory two-seater is tax breaks. At least in Canada. Two seat trucks and vans have no restrictions on deducting costs of depreciation, leasing, or interest if it's primarily used to haul equipment or goods for a business. [ref] (Converting to a two-seat after the fact ... maybe that works just as well from a tax perspective; not sure.)

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When I look at the configuration, wizard and open the doors on it, you can see that the seats in the ones for North America have the seat back at least four or 5 inches, or the thickness of the seat back, further back than the pic above.

When you guys titled it tWo seater, I thought we were going to be talking about a short wheelbase two-door version.

Can you remove the backseat? It seems that by the comments about the seat placement that at the very least, it’s configure both of two different positions, that implies to me that perhaps you could take it out, but I assume you would still need some kind of cap over it or something because of all the electronics and other stuff that’s underneath there.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When I look at the configuration, wizard and open the doors on it, you can see that the seats in the ones for North America have the seat back at least four or 5 inches, or the thickness of the seat back, further back than the pic above.

When you guys titled it tWo seater, I thought we were going to be talking about a short wheelbase two-door version.

Can you remove the backseat? It seems that by the comments about the seat placement that at the very least, it’s configure both of two different positions, that implies to me that perhaps you could take it out, but I assume you would still need some kind of cap over it or something because of all the electronics and other stuff that’s underneath there.
Yes, correct. You will have to make some sort of cover for the battery/electrical section which should be easy to do.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In those models with only two seats, are the electrical options, for a 2nd battery, inverter, etc…still there?

Personally, I like the flexibility of a 2nd row, if needed. A flat load space when folded would be ideal though. I hope the Black Sheep drawer system which levels out the load space, or something like it, will become available in the US without paying crazy shipping fees.

Back
Top Bottom