The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas No Two-Seater in North America

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
I hope the Black Sheep drawer system which levels out the load space, or something like it, will become available in the US without paying crazy shipping fees.
Or just wait a few months from now until several US manufacturers also make drawer system to level out the storage area

Local time
Reaction score
A two-seater in the US would likely be classified as a truck, and subject to the 25 percent chicken tax. So it's much cheaper to just buy a two-row vehicle and remove the rear seat.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Or just wait a few months from now until several US manufacturers also make drawer system to level out the storage area
Do you know of any that are planning on offering aftermarket parts/accessories? I’d imagine most are taking a wait/see approach, but that’s pure SWAG on my part.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you know of any that are planning on offering aftermarket parts/accessories? I’d imagine most are taking a wait/see approach, but that’s pure SWAG on my part.
Goose Gear has the 3D scan of the interior, so I'm assuming they'll start working on something towards the end of the year.

The vast majority of drawer systems are fairly universal except for their mounting and the "wings" (to get the centered drawers to touch the interior side panels of the vehicle), so the involved process is generally only a one time thing.

For other-than-rear-storage parts, then yes I know of at least one more US company that has a list of steel parts planned

gtank

Production/Transit
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
The video and picture referenced above are indeed the commercial spec version. The back seat is pushed forward in those cars for cargo space (and likely some requirements they have to meet to be registered commercially).

As I recall, they said they sold their Gren because commercial vehicles have a lower set speed limit in the UK (50 mph). Good way to save on registration fees, but they should have just bought the consumer version…

Local time
Reaction score
I highly doubt that US Grenadier pickup enthusiasts will ever see the pickup version due to the antiquated 25% Chicken Tax.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I highly doubt that US Grenadier pickup enthusiasts will ever see the pickup version due to the antiquated 25% Chicken Tax.
If I did not hear Greg Clark flat-out say the pickup WAS coming here, I would never have believed it. But it is in fact coming here; at what price, I do not know.

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
INEOS Automotive Announces Mexico Factory

Wednesday, July 6, 2023 | INEOS Group | INEOS Automotive has today announced that it is to invest more than €1.1 billion into its new manufacturing facility in Aqua Nueva-Saltillo, Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico. Production at the Saltillo plant is slated to begin with the 2026 model year and will include its newly announced Quartermaster truck. Manufacturing the truck in Mexico will avoid the so-called "chicken tax" in the US market, per USMCA, formerly NAFTA. Details here.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
INEOS Automotive Announces Mexico Factory

Wednesday, July 6, 2023 | INEOS Group | INEOS Automotive has today announced that it is to invest more than €1.1 billion into its new manufacturing facility in Aqua Nueva-Saltillo, Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico. Production at the Saltillo plant is slated to begin with the 2026 model year and will include its newly announced Quartermaster truck. Manufacturing the truck in Mexico will avoid the so-called "chicken tax" in the US market, per USMCA, formerly NAFTA. Details here.
That's amusing
I commented a year ago that I thought Ineos would need to build in US or Mexico if they wanted to sell volume in North American markets.
I also mentioned that I thought they would need to have different specs for that market.
Not sure they can get anything up and running in 2 years though even with Rick's help
Now to work on the Lotto numbers.

Local time
Reaction score
The tax wouldn't apply to a 4 seat pickup.

If they need capacity, and model variability for different markets, its an advantage to get the new plant outside of the euro, so you can shift production where the exchange rates are more advantageous and there's skilled cheap labor. It's a good sign to buyers of the new product that Ineos is thinking of long term viability and competitiveness.

I'd be shocked if the US got the pickup. The gren has the same issue the LC 7x pickups have always had, that is, its not competitive in the US pickup market for the price.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The tax wouldn't apply to a 4 seat pickup.

If they need capacity, and model variability for different markets, its an advantage to get the new plant outside of the euro, so you can shift production where the exchange rates are more advantageous and there's skilled cheap labor. It's a good sign to buyers of the new product that Ineos is thinking of long term viability and competitiveness.

I'd be shocked if the US got the pickup. The gren has the same issue the LC 7x pickups have always had, that is, its not competitive in the US pickup market for the price.
The US IS getting the QM pickup - as per IA themselves. NA Q&A

Local time
Reaction score
The US IS getting the QM pickup - as per IA themselves. NA Q&A
I see that. I just don't see the market for the hardly a pickup, pickup, in the 80k range with home owners, and it's useless to a commercial operation. I'm banking it doesn't make it.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Totally agree - the market in the US for pickups is unlike anywhere in world. The level of competition, options, a well-established aftermarket, and deep-rooted brand loyalty are a lot to overcome.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Am I the only US person in here planning on selling the Grenadier for the Quartermaster when it's available? There have to be at least a few others in the same boat....

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
Totally agree - the market in the US for pickups is unlike anywhere in world. The level of competition, options, a well-established aftermarket, and deep-rooted brand loyalty are a lot to overcome.
Doesn't Ineos only need a fraction of a single percentage point of the current market to switch to make it a success for them?

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:52 AM
Reaction score
There are ways to get around the chicken tax. ;)View attachment 7819501
I don't recall which vehicle (maybe the Merc Sprinter vans?) that were built in Europe and had interiors fitted to avoid the chicken tax.
When they reached the US port, the interiors were removed and shipped back to the Euro factory where they were installed in the next batch of vans destined for the US.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
I don't recall which vehicle (maybe the Merc Sprinter vans?) that were built in Europe and had interiors fitted to avoid the chicken tax.
When they reached the US port, the interiors were removed and shipped back to the Euro factory where they were installed in the next batch of vans destined for the US.
Well I had to look that up as it sounded interesting, and found this:

"Sprinter cargo vans are fully assembled and test-driven in Mercedes' Dusseldorf plant."

"cargo vans are taken to a facility that immediately undoes the factory's handiwork. The engine, drivetrain, suspension and a handful of other components are removed and put into crates (or, in the case of the front fascia and tires, in the back of the van). Those crates are loaded onto one cargo ship, while the Sprinter bodies are loaded onto another"

"everything is taken to a facility in Gaffney, S.C., for reassembly and shipment to dealers."

" the CKD (crate knock-down) process reportedly only adds about 8 percent to the cost versus the 25 percent of the tariff."

I wonder if Ineos have an eye on this?

Back
Top Bottom