The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

nicknames?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
Last time I was in the UK I was talking to this guy (bloke) in the bar (pub) and got to talking about cars (motors, jam jar)... he had nicknames galore for vehicles...

We might have been a few too many beers (pints) in ... a little tipsy (pissed)

Betty, Ruby, Susie, Poppy, etc

Seems they all end with the "y" or "ie" at the end...

So does that make the Grenadier the "Grenny" ??? Just wandering :)
Iā€™m afraid there will be those out there that refer to it in the way you suggest. Not me though!
Have to admit, the badge and even the name are not my favourite. I do like the emphasis on the ā€˜Aā€™ and hopefully I will love the vehicle.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
The household cars tend to get names, usually assigned by wife/son

The LR110CSW was Big Blue - see the avatar<
LR90 is Little Blue - logical huh?
Fiat 500C is Lucretia
Maxda MX5 is Cally
Morgan 4/4 is Fay
Vauxhall Agila is Charlie

A name for the Grenadier will need to wait for formal introductions; Helga or Heidi, (Germanic/Austrian heritage), are my early thoughts, but what do I know?

SoLu

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
It all comes down to smellā€¦ What will my Grenadierā€™s ā€˜new carā€™ interior smell be like the first time I drive. That will no doubt inspire its nickname.

Now, go figure what that smell will actually be if I get my way and have INEOS include in their configurator a whale foreskin gear knobā€¦

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It all comes down to smellā€¦ What will my Grenadierā€™s ā€˜new carā€™ interior smell be like the first time I drive. That will no doubt inspire its nickname.

Now, go figure what that smell will actually be if I get my way and have INEOS include in their configurator a whale foreskin gear knobā€¦
Moby Dick...or is that your nickname;)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
Maybe whale?

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:34 PM
Reaction score
I've been calling it "The Gren". Simple and clean.

For my personal one - I'll have to experience it to know for sure what to call it. My first adventure vehicle was Prometheus, named for he who stole fire from the Gods and gifted mankind with freedom; in a way it was my first taste of that freedom so the name fit. I had that rig for a long time, and then had a very brief stint in a 2-door jeep that went by "The Jeep"; later we upgraded to our 4 door jeep Rubicon known as Ruby that served us for a while.. Our current vehicle is Pachyderm or "Pac" for short; he's silver with little silver caps on his ears - I mean wing mirrors - and our adopted family crest/social media presence is Chasing our Trunks so the elephant theme fits. I've had lots of other vehicles over the years with a few hundred thousand adventure kilometers in total, but for whatever reason In ever "bonded" to the degree of naming them.

And then in the realm of 2-wheeled adventure rigs, I've got my Triumph Tiger 800XC, known as Hobbes, after the comic "Calvin and Hobbes" because I'm always off getting into trouble with him and he brings out a very Calvin-eseuq childlike joy in me.

Our named vehicles have certainly over a million total adventure kilometers on them, and probably less than 100k kms total in unnamed vehicles, so I clearly like the named ones a lot more but they have to earn it through experience and adventure.

So for now, it's the Gren. When it arrives, it might still be The Gren, but it might earn a new name too.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had the idea to call my Grenadier "Gunvald". He's a character from the criminal series "Kommissar Beck", a police detective, were "Gunvald Larsson" is the right hand of Beck.

The character is extremely straightforward and uncompromising, and often provides satisfaction on the part of observers because he consistently delivers justice - as he interprets it. He simply does what many would often like to do but don't dare.

Because he was far too politically incorrect, he unfortunately had to die later in the series. šŸ˜­

From Wikipedia:

"Gunvald Larsson: A former member of the merchant marine and the black sheep of a rich family; he has a liking for expensive clothes and pulp fiction including the work of Sax Rohmer. He is also one of very few people outside East Germany who owns and drives a sports car manufactured by Eisenacher Motorenwerk. He is somewhat lacking in interpersonal skills and is disliked by most of his colleagues. He and Kollberg share a mutual antipathy, but are capable of working together efficiently when the occasion demands it. However, despite the fact that he often treats Einar Rƶnn with the same boorishness and insensitive tactlessness that he does everybody else, Rƶnn is his only friend and the two are close, often spending time together outside of the job. His rich, cultured family taught him how to behave correctly in all circumstances, something which the Commissioner notes that he tries to conceal. His upbringing has also meant that Larsson has a penchant for expensive clothes, not least tailored suits, which have a tendency to in various ways, get ruined during his investigations. He is tall and has china blue eyes, and is in extremely good shape, being noted as the best in the team at breaking down doors."

If you've never seen "Kommissar Beck", it's hard to understand what character this guy is. I love him, and most guys I know love him too.

"Gunvald" is of course a somewhat extravagant name for just a car.

But not for a Grenadier. :cool:
Inspector Rex?! šŸ¶:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hm, pilot spelling is indeed an option. So my car is currently Echo Hotel, whilst my wifes car is Juliett Papa - accordnign to the number plates. And her name is indeed "Juliane".

But my name is not "Echo" though.
Aw... I dunno..."Echo" sort of reverberates!:cool:

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think we still need to come up with a name that we all call in on the forum at least.
It would make things a bit easier for chatting.
At the moment we call it the IG, the Gren, the Grenadier, the Ineos Grenadier.

In Australia, we shorten every name and put a Y or an A at the end of it.

So in OZ, we would probably just shorten it to "Grenny"
Exactly, in Oz, they will be Grennies.

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
iv had a few nicknames on my 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles.
Iā€™m leaning onto ā€œthe grootā€ for the grenadier but that may change if and when I receive itā€¦I find the comic character and the grenadier may have that earthy connection, for some reason I can only picture the grenadier strolling down the trails or dunes with only one sentence repeating ā€œI am grootā€..
these nicknames all started with my Nissan patrol, good old patty.
Beast for my current ram rebel for obvious reasons to me, and
Stella (the beer) for my BMW gsa, aka the good wife
Roxy for the ktm 690 enduro aka the girlfriend

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
I remember from my family in UK - there it was usual to have female names on vehicles, so they used to own 2 Ladas, then a Skoda, and a Peugeot.. the first got Russian first names e.g. Olga, the Skoda a Czech name I do not rember and the Peugeot, Sophia. What to call an internationally built vehicle?
I usually do not christen a vehicle - its an utility.
What we do is usually use the initials of the primary drivers on license plate and a number referring in my case its a- 12 Gauge shot gun type - either 1270 1276 1289
and my spouses to a Boeing aircraft e.g. 737 747 or alike because she was working for LH and that were the first aircraft she had to plan for (no pilot or flight attendant) but crew, load, etc. So I assume my IG will receive something alike. But not be nicknamed. My spouse calls the LR simply Disco or just "can we take yours" or " we take mine" - to distinguish what to use. Don' know what she will call the IG once it has arrived.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score

If you know Red Dwarf then there's only one name you could use...

Back
Top Bottom