The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

NEW UK tour

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:47 PM
Reaction score
Drove the Grenadier today up in the Lake District. Blown away with the off-road performance and really surprised at what they had us tackle. So efficient, the drive was almost boring😊 No grounding took place at anytime which surprised me as obviously long wheel base. No side steps were fitted mind.
Only real disappointment is in confirmation that CC will not be intelligent. The interior doesn’t wow me but was very comfortable both front and rear. Possibly a slow burn? Either way, still intent on going ahead with my order.
Saw it in Inky Black, Donny Grey and Queens Red. Liked all three colours so no firm decision made there although my current order is Donny Grey.
If the Front & Rear diffs weren’t such good value I would save my money as centre diff easily coped with anything I would have in mind.

Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
I’ve just had my test drive at Graythwaite Hall. It was the utility version with Bridgestone tyres . It was the more recent prototype not the 2B. Mainly hardcore track with potholes but also some serious ruts, boulders and other challenges. It coped amazingly. Most impressed. Not good for parking in a supermarket shopping bay or going into a car park with a height barrier esp with roof rails plus roof box or kayak. I think I’ll keep a small low older car for that. But the drive was cracking. One of the reps say that they have someone lined up to make a drawer for the boot once the production model boot shapes are finalised. Hopefully dog boxes will follow. NB the Belstaff versions don’t have a level cargo space with the back seats down whereas the standard utility vehicle has a level floor with the seats down. Why the difference? Looking forward to the press reviews on the final versions on and off road.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Drove the Grenadier today up in the Lake District. Blown away with the off-road performance and really surprised at what they had us tackle. So efficient, the drive was almost boring😊 No grounding took place at anytime which surprised me as obviously long wheel base. No side steps were fitted mind.
Only real disappointment is in confirmation that CC will not be intelligent. The interior doesn’t wow me but was very comfortable both front and rear. Possibly a slow burn? Either way, still intent on going ahead with my order.
Saw it in Inky Black, Donny Grey and Queens Red. Liked all three colours so no firm decision made there although my current order is Donny Grey.
If the Front & Rear diffs weren’t such good value I would save my money as centre diff easily coped with anything I would have in mind.
By intelligent do you mean adaptive? because that requires radars mounted in irritating places and for me is something I'd always avoid given the chance.

Guessing the CC is the most basic form found in 2000's vehicles?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
By intelligent do you mean adaptive? because that requires radars mounted in irritating places and for me is something I'd always avoid given the chance.

Guessing the CC is the most basic form found in 2000's vehicles?
Correct. Adaptive CC is what I was referring to. Had it on a recent Mitsubishi for a 700 mile trip to Aberdeen and back. Makes a big difference on the longer journeys. I only spotted the one sensor which was reasonably high up so didn’t look like it would be compromised. If they had it as an option I would have requested it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score
Correct. Adaptive CC is what I was referring to. Had it on a recent Mitsubishi for a 700 mile trip to Aberdeen and back. Makes a big difference on the longer journeys. I only spotted the one sensor which was reasonably high up so didn’t look like it would be compromised. If they had it as an option I would have requested it.
I had adaptive cruise control on my last car and hated it. Cruising on the motorway and looked at the speed to find I was doing 20kmh under the speed limit because it had adapted to the car in front slowly. i could have easily overtaken the car. No idea how long I had been driving so slow and how much longer the trip was because of it.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
On the ford broncos the sensors are in the front bumper/grill area, making it difficult to fit winches etc. On the JL wranglers they're on the top section of the windscreen, making the common jeep windscreen swap that much more difficult.

Not being a luddite, but i like to keep things as simple as possible for future tinkering. same reason i didn't want front parking sensors.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On the ford broncos the sensors are in the front bumper/grill area, making it difficult to fit winches etc. On the JL wranglers they're on the top section of the windscreen, making the common jeep windscreen swap that much more difficult.

Not being a luddite, but i like to keep things as simple as possible for future tinkering. same reason i didn't want front parking sensors.
I like the fact seats are all manual.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like the fact seats are all manual.
My current vehicle has electric seats with 3 memory positions and I rarely ever move it.
All my boots and shoes are "barefoot" style with the soles ranging from 3-6mm thick.
Whichever ones I am wearing the driving position remains the same.
Occasionally I might get in wearing safety boots for work and their soles are about 20mm thick so I have to move the seat back.
Whenever possible I change out of my safety boots before getting in so I move the seat maybe 10 times a year at most

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:47 AM
Reaction score
For those of you who have driven it....what is your impression of the center control console and dashboard? I know this is a utility truck but wonder about the quality and feel? Is is too 'plastic'. I will be coming from a 2021 Ford Bronco with a low end plastic interior. I am not looking for luxury just quality if that makes sense. Where there is plastic is in nicer touch material?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For those of you who have driven it....what is your impression of the center control console and dashboard? I know this is a utility truck but wonder about the quality and feel? Is is too 'plastic'. I will be coming from a 2021 Ford Bronco with a low end plastic interior. I am not looking for luxury just quality if that makes sense. Where there is plastic is in nicer touch material?
Having driven the Grenadier earlier this week I was amazed at its off-road performance.
With regards to the interior. I was told that the actual materials in the vehicle were still not the actual materials that would be used in the final edition. I was glad to hear this as the interior is definitely one of function and would not necessarily appealing to those driving the likes of the new Defender.
For me, I am hoping to find a subtle nod to luxury at least in the odd location.
Coming from the Bronco I don’t imagine you being too disappointed. Likewise with me and my old model Defender. My deposit is holding firm. 😊

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
It didn’t give me a bad feeling while driving it. But to really “feel” a car in my opinion you have to drive it alone and try out things that to other people would look strange (like switching all switches one after another or close all doors one after another to get the sound…)
So it doesn’t strike with poor quality on the first look but I have to test more!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Everyone has to judge that for themselves.
Personally, I think it's good. For me the Grenadier is used both as a utility vehicle and for travelling to the theatre. Therefore, quick cleaning is important for me. I will spray the inside of the Gradier with the hose, just as the water drains are designed to do. Water and dirt will certainly splash onto the centre control console and dashboard. Plastic can be wiped off quickly with a cloth. The rest dries quickly.
Even the seats can get wet and dry again.
In summary, for me functionality comes first, looks and design are not so important.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When I hear this, then I think back to when Mark Tennant was saying this:
View attachment 7794423

And the two clearly don't align...

I really don't want a new Defender interior. 😒
You definitely won’t have to concern yourself with that. The Grenadier is certainly utilitarian in just about every way.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It didn’t give me a bad feeling while driving it. But to really “feel” a car in my opinion you have to drive it alone and try out things that to other people would look strange (like switching all switches one after another or close all doors one after another to get the sound…)
So it doesn’t strike with poor quality on the first look but I have to test more!
I always find out more about a car when washing it. It is during this time that I can relax and take in all the details both inside and out.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
like switching all switches one after another or close all doors one after another to get the sound…
My wife would probably smell at everything. No, she's not a dog. But she's a woman.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Washing your new to you, secondhand car for the first time is the worst. That’s when all the bullsh*t spray washes off and you start to see all the marks you didn't see when you bought it.

Glad to see that peoples first drives have been positive. Personally I wouldn’t mind the IG with some of the materials used in the new defender, they appear to be good quality and hard wearing.

I think that you never get to know how good or bad a vehicle is until you have Lived with it for a few weeks.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Oh you can stick the defender seats right where the sun doesn’t shine. I will take the IG Recaro seats every time, I was thinking more of the dash materials and doors.

Those seat stains look horrendous though. Wouldn’t happen on mine, I am terrible for fitting seat covers to make sure the next owner gets immaculate seats in their new purchase.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Oh you can stick the defender seats right where the sun doesn’t shine. I will take the IG Recaro seats every time, I was thinking more of the dash materials and doors.

Those seat stains look horrendous though. Wouldn’t happen on mine, I am terrible for fitting seat covers to make sure the next owner gets immaculate seats in their new purchase.
I can understand your thoughts however for me, I am the next owner, as I hope to keep this car for 20 years.
That's why I have opted for the leather seats as I think with occasional application of a cleaner and conditioner they will last longer than cloth.
If they do get warn in places then I will get the leather replaced.
I have gone for the black/gray combination just to lighten them up and so they don't get as hot.

Back
Top Bottom