The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

New improved steering! - diffrent Box + less play Late 2023/2024 cars

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
So having a conversation today, I have heard there is a new version of the steering, I guess its a new box, possibly with variable ratios in the box. I believe its already in production, so late 2023/2024 cars will have it. I really want to test it side by side but the person I was speaking to, has driven both. I have not seen this on the forum before. I was told there is no plan to upgrade existing cars though. I don't believe the steering lock is any different.

UPDATE:-

I have driven it see Post 83

Last edited:

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
Interesting information, thank you for sharing.

I am ok with the steering but on balance would be even happier with a set up that gave the best of on and off road feel. I hope IG do consider giving early adopters access to the new set up since I suspect it is our real world experience that has given them feedback to improve the vehicle. I appreciate there is a limit to what early adopters can expect and that cars typically improve over time hence I am happy not to demand every new enhancement, it’s just that steering is pretty fundamental

While IG consider doing the right thing on any steering improvements the other thing I would welcome them “improving” is the pull away from standstill response for my diesel engined vehicle. Surely there is an ecu adjustment that means the car responds promptly and energetically to throttle input from standstill. I don’t know whether the issue is the auto box sorting itself out or whether there needs to be an ecu tweak but something changed would be great. At the moment I cannot get going quick enough to actually take advantage of the breaks in oncoming traffic that I should be able to access. There seems to be an excessive (it feels like several seconds but I’m suspect it is not that much) delay which makes using the car on the road less rewarding than it should be

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:41 AM
Reaction score
Interesting information, thank you for sharing.

I am ok with the steering but on balance would be even happier with a set up that gave the best of on and off road feel. I hope IG do consider giving early adopters access to the new set up since I suspect it is our real world experience that has given them feedback to improve the vehicle. I appreciate there is a limit to what early adopters can expect and that cars typically improve over time hence I am happy not to demand every new enhancement, it’s just that steering is pretty fundamental

While IG consider doing the right thing on any steering improvements the other thing I would welcome them “improving” is the pull away from standstill response for my diesel engined vehicle. Surely there is an ecu adjustment that means the car responds promptly and energetically to throttle input from standstill. I don’t know whether the issue is the auto box sorting itself out or whether there needs to be an ecu tweak but something changed would be great. At the moment I cannot get going quick enough to actually take advantage of the breaks in oncoming traffic that I should be able to access. There seems to be an excessive (it feels like several seconds but I’m suspect it is not that much) delay which makes using the car on the road less rewarding than it should be
I don't even notice an issue with the steering after the first hour of the first day.
My Diesel takes off extremely well (for a 3 tonne diesel) but on a couple of occasions when pulling onto highway from standstill I have used left foot brake and right foot light rev on accelerator to spool up the turbo. this removes the small turbo lag.
As the diesel has twin sequential compound turbos it is easy to spin up the first turbo at low revs.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
I have used left foot brake and right foot light rev on accelerator
In aviation we call this Short Take Off if you're on a short runway. (y)
(Although we have both feet on the brakes and the right hand on the throttle)

Deep in your heart, you're pilot, man!

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Strange I really don't think the acceleration is bad at all, I would say mine is better than it was after the update or maybe it was passing 1500 miles. I dont like the auto start stop at junctions that you have to pull out of quickly, I will often turn that off though. I did drive the petrol back to back with my Diesel and it was very similar. Maybe the Diesel is quicker 0-25 ish but slower upto 60 overall.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Ketchup pease!

New Demo car at a UK dealership, just been delivered, not registered yet.
How solid is this information? Are you saying that this new Demo car has a new steering box with better feel/centering?? Or is it just a centering steering damper?
And has anyone done a back-to-back comparison old to new steering, to tell us what has actually changed? You say "the person I was speaking to, has driven both" but no mention of the changes in steering......

If this change occirred, at what date was the change implemented? Here in the US, we are anxiously awaiting the first "2024" customer cars (not the dealer demo's that are 2023.5, AFAIK) and would be interested to know if they will come theit the new kit (I kinda doudt it......).

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Strange I really don't think the acceleration is bad at all, I would say mine is better than it was after the update or maybe it was passing 1500 miles. I dont like the auto start stop at junctions that you have to pull out of quickly, I will often turn that off though. I did drive the petrol back to back with my Diesel and it was very similar. Maybe the Diesel is quicker 0-25 ish but slower upto 60 overall.
Yes it would be nice if the auto start/stop feature was always off and if you wanted it.. turn it on.... it's a real pain in the.... when combined with the slight hesitation of the diesel.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Improvements are usually attended by greater , not less complexity and potential for issues.
The IG has the potential to become the ND in this regard.
Signed : Happy First Adopter

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In aviation we call this Short Take Off if you're on a short runway. (y)
(Although we have both feet on the brakes and the right hand on the throttle)

Deep in your heart, you're pilot, man!
Yes I have sat in quite a few aircraft that have done this, particularly if they haven't done a rolling take off from the taxiway.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How solid is this information? Are you saying that this new Demo car has a new steering box with better feel/centering?? Or is it just a centering steering damper?
And has anyone done a back-to-back comparison old to new steering, to tell us what has actually changed? You say "the person I was speaking to, has driven both" but no mention of the changes in steering......

If this change occirred, at what date was the change implemented? Here in the US, we are anxiously awaiting the first "2024" customer cars (not the dealer demo's that are 2023.5, AFAIK) and would be interested to know if they will come theit the new kit (I kinda doudt it......).
They will not ever change to a rack & pinion steering so there are only minor changes to be had.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
They will not ever change to a rack & pinion steering so there are only minor changes to be had.
Agreed. Which is why the OP is a bit of a tease, without any useful information on (1) what has been changed (2) what effect does it have......
If they engineered a self-centering steering damper, thjis might solve some of the whines......

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Which dealership? This is like fake news……without it being substantiate!
Maybe it's a special issue one just for urban motoring journalists, together with the clear the entire windscreen 3 wiper option like the old e types.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Which dealership? This is like fake news……without it being substantiate!
Whatever, I’m trying to get a test drive before I go away, I will post more once I have driven it, and confirm if it’s different or not. I was told it was though. I don’t know if it’s been announced yet so I will try and find out more. I heard there is also a new doorlock and door seals which will be retrofitted to all cars. (I did break the news on new firmware release + all the suspension setup - so believe this or not).

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Next you'll be saying there's a footwell delete recall.
Please don't remove this feature Ineos.

Back
Top Bottom