The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

NATO Plug,Socket

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
CTAL'S stock of female NATO plugs had run out so I ordered one from Ultimate Mogs.
Arrived yesterday.
Wouldn't quite fit , however it was not the plug that was the problem , it was the rivets holding the screw cap on that were a bit proud inside the housing (vehicle end)
Small flat file fixed that.

dime80

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
AUSTRALIA
ALL FIVE NATO TO ANDERSON ADAPTER CABLES SOLD OUT IN ONE DAY
The day I posted news about the NATO to 120 amp Anderson plug adapter cable to the INEOS forum, CTALS sold out all five adapter cables they had made, including to overseas customers. @Krabby @Stu_Barnes

CTALS are awaiting more NATO plug parts to make more adapter cables early next year (I just spoke with them). CTALS were surprised how quickly they went. I thanked CTALS for supporting INEOS owners with their DTP kits and the adapter cable and they said they were selling more product than they had expected. They were happy to support INEOS.

INEOS AU REP HAS SEEN THE CTALS ADAPTER CABLE
An Australian INEOS Rep has now seen the NATO adapter cable at Purnell Adventure in Sydney during a recent visit. They were impressed with the quality – as I said military grade! I understand other people within INEOS have been told and supplied with the CTALS links.

CTALS ADAPTER CABLE AT PURNELL ADVENTURE SYDNEY FOR A WHILE YET
The CTALS adapter cable (NATO to 120 amp Anderson) should stay with Purnell Adventure Sydney for the next few weeks. My car is looking like late January 2024, at best.

CTLAS also said they are seeing more caravan makers using 120 amp Anderson plugs instead of 50 amp plugs (in Australia). Some have already moved to 350 amp Anderson plugs. We just need INEOS to wire that rear NATO plug for the use by the winch and charging large battery banks in caravans. The next model may get that change.

ASK AND YOU MAY RECEIVE
One final lesson: this all come about because I asked CTLAS in March 2023 to do it, and they are customer focused and they did it. So, keep on asking vendors to support INEOS, we will have small victories from time to time. I started with the DTP Kits and later asked for the NATO to Anderson adapter cable.
Has anyone used the 120 amp Anderson lead and further reduced to 50amp for direct connection to existing 50amp dc - dc charger on caravan?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone used the 120 amp Anderson lead and further reduced to 50amp for direct connection to existing 50amp dc - dc charger on caravan?
You can buy an adapter
Just don't send 350A through it!

This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is a NATO direct to 50 amp Anderson plug here.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
How could the NATO socket be utilized to power a ”suitcase” compressor? Something like ARB.

I think these are often powered with alligator clips onto the battery terminals but the NATO socket seems like an idea power source. But I’m relatively clueless about electronics.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How could the NATO socket be utilized to power a ”suitcase” compressor? Something like ARB.

I think these are often powered with alligator clips onto the battery terminals but the NATO socket seems like an idea power source. But I’m relatively clueless about electronics.
The ARB dual suitcase compressor has crocodile clips. You could change those clips to a 120 amp Anderson plug (or 50amp). Then use a NATO to 120 amp (or 50 amp) Anderson adapter cable. The ARB dual suitcase has an inline fuse after the crocodile clips on the picture I just looked at. So the fuse will blow if too much power comes down the NATO circuit - which is want you want.

You could wire the cables straight into an NATO plug, but going the Anderson way allows more flexibility.

REUSE THE CROCODILE CLIPS
If you use 50-amp Anderson plugs, you can put the clip onto a short extension cable like this:

iu

If you need the clips later you can just plug it into the 50 amp Anderson plug on the compressor suitcase.

Last edited:

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:13 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the NATO socket supply locks out when you are travelling over 50 mph?
I use the NATO socket to charge an expedition trailer 2 x lithium iron 100A batteries through a Kisae DC/DC charger.
Whilst the DC/DC charger can draw a 50amp charge I have dialled it down to 30amp.
The NATO plug works fine up until you hit 51mph and then it clicks the relay out.
Anyone else have this issue and keen to know if it can be programmed to click out at say 70mph?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the NATO socket supply locks out when you are travelling over 50 mph?
I use the NATO socket to charge an expedition trailer 2 x lithium iron 100A batteries through a Kisae DC/DC charger.
Whilst the DC/DC charger can draw a 50amp charge I have dialled it down to 30amp.
The NATO plug works fine up until you hit 51mph and then it clicks the relay out.
Anyone else have this issue and keen to know if it can be programmed to click out at say 70mph?
It is a known issue reported in a thread, by Krabby and others from memory. EDIT: looks like you have already found the thread.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps consider an alternate method of powering up the nato solenoid.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
I am planning on using the Nato plug to power my coffee machine when i stop for a break.
Planning to put the machine on a slide out

View attachment 7845961
You are always 10 steps ahead of the rest of us, must be the time difference from Australia to US. I see what you are doing, you are pulling shots and then using the coffee grounds to fuel the Grenadier like the VW Scirorro nickname car-puccino.

Burki

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
I have a cunning plan to make it work.
I would have added a sketch of the circuit but my pencil broke and I don't have a 12 volt sharpener.
Just a tip before you get lost in your Australian wannabe engineer dreams:
I use a 2 kVA inverter connected directly to the AUX battery via thick, short cables.
My espresso machine (1.3 kVA) including frother for capuccino is connected to the 230 volt level with almost any length.
Works great and is easy to install.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just a tip before you get lost in your Australian wannabe engineer dreams:
I use a 2 kVA inverter connected directly to the AUX battery via thick, short cables.
My espresso machine (1.3 kVA) including frother for capuccino is connected to the 230 volt level with almost any length.
Works great and is easy to install.
You had me at thick short cables

dime80

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Paul.

I too am using the nato for the same purpose.
Did you have any success to increase travel speed before cutting out?
Any solutions found would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Paul.

Cheers.
See posts 160 & 165 in this thread

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:13 PM
Reaction score
Hi Paul.

Cheers.
I haven’t bothered as yet but i will wire up as thread 165 which sounds a simple solution.

Kverheyen

Production/Transit
Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
Just made my first projects. NATO with long lead and 175amp Anderson plug. Will mate with my Jumper leads with 175amp Anderson plug. So can use for jumping and also have a 175amp to standard Anderson plug so can just be used for an extension cord. Also a short NATO to standard Anderson for trailer power and compressor etc. Just waiting for my Deutsche DTP plugs to arrive and will make some various adapters etc for those. Probably Deutsche to Anderson, and Deutsche to cigarette sockets etc.
View attachment 7814518
I did the same thing with:
Be sure to buy a 2 gauge jumper cable to fit into the lugs of the NATO adapter. I has an electrician friend crimp the lugs to the cable (I didn't own the proper size crimping tool).

Back
Top Bottom