The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

NATO Plug,Socket

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
Adapter cable 1 - NATO to 120 Anderson
Purnell Adventure in Sydney now has the Connector Tech ALS NATO to Anderson 120 amp plug adapter cable. Ask if you want to see it. It is on loan from me.

Adapter cable 2 - NATO to 350 Anderson
Connector Tech ALS are also offering a NATO to 350 amp Anderson version from January 2024. The 350 amp Anderson plug does not have an environmental cover like the 120 amp version.

Last edited:

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Adapter cable 1 - NATO to 120 Anderson
Purnell Adventure in Sydney now has the Connector Tech ALS NATO to Anderson 120 amp plug adapter cable. Ask if you want to see it. It is on loan from me.

Adapter cable 2 - NATO to 350 Anderson
Connector Tech ALS are also offering a NATO to 350 amp Anderson version from January 2024. The 350 amp Anderson plug does not have an environmental cover like the 120 amp version.
I'm confused about the use case for the SB350 adapter. It's still rated as 120A continuous current. The SB350 connector is huge. What would it be used for on the back of a Grenadier?

SB size comparison

Attachments

• Anderson-SB-Plug-Sizes.jpg
    Anderson-SB-Plug-Sizes.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 61

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm confused about the use case for the SB350 adapter. It's still rated as 120A continuous current. The SB350 connector is huge. What would it be used for on the back of a Grenadier?

SB size comparison
I believe some Caravans can be fitted with a 350 amp Anderson Plug. A 120 amp Anderson cannot be run at a sustained rate of 120 amps.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some grey nomads run 2 large alternators...one of which is dedicated to the caravan....:oops:
Some of those big US tow vehicles have two alternators as standard. My mates Ford F350 does.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Q for those who tow and know.
Our hybrid van (on order) has 200Ah Lithium ; we won't have heavy energy requirements and will use solar where possible.
As well as carry a separate 120Ah lithium in the TM Grenadier.
Would that Nato>Anderson to van be a simple plug and play?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Q for those who tow and know.
Our hybrid van (on order) has 200Ah Lithium ; we won't have heavy energy requirements and will use solar where possible.
As well as carry a separate 120Ah lithium in the TM Grenadier.
Would that Nato>Anderson to van be a simple plug and play?
No is the simple answer.

You can make a NATO to 50 amp Anderson plug, but there are risks if that is not done properly. 350 amp circuit down to a 50 amp Anderson plug is challenging.

I will be running a new 50 amp Anderson circuit from the main battery (or busbar) to the rear (with a 50 amp Anderson plug) for any trailer/caravan. I have the parts, tools and skills to do this myself.

Then I need to deal with the 13 pin euro plug to 7 pin flat trailer socket used in Australia, and that will need some rewiring to allow me to use the Redarc brake controller. There are adapter cables allowing this, with minor wiring changes.

Last edited:

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Then I might have to put my Nato plug up on Gumtree.
It's like tits on a bull for me.
Does your van have a dc to dc charger installed already to charge the batteries be it agm, lithium or whatever? If so it's easy.... just make sure you have a fuse rated for your particular dc to dc between the van and nato outlet and make up your own anderson to nato plug...

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Then I might have to put my Nato plug up on Gumtree.
It's like tits on a bull for me.
Hi Taz. Go back to post 179 of this thread where I posted about my NATO to 50A adapter. If you don't have the means or interest to do this then I agree with the good Australian Doctor; run a 50A Anderson to the back of your vehicle and forget about the NATO socket. I would pick up power at the hot side of the Albright solenoid which is already a fused circuit at 350A (I recommend a fuse downgrade to 60A for Anderson use) This is much closer than the battery so less cabling is required.
The fiddly part of the adapter I made was the copper spacers to step down the wire gauges. If I did another one I would get a machine shop to do them for me. The rest of the adapter was straightforward to make. I have obtained an environmental boot to put on my adapter before I use it again.

Attachments

• PXL_20230906_073650621.jpg
    PXL_20230906_073650621.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 80

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Does your van have a dc to dc charger installed already to charge the batteries be it agm, lithium or whatever? If so it's easy.... just make sure you have a fuse rated for your particular dc to dc between the van and nato outlet and make up your own anderson to nato plug...
Van has Enerdrive 40Amp DC2DC Smart Charger

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Taz. Go back to post 179 of this thread where I posted about my NATO to 50A adapter. If you don't have the means or interest to do this then I agree with the good Australian Doctor; run a 50A Anderson to the back of your vehicle and forget about the NATO socket. I would pick up power at the hot side of the Albright solenoid which is already a fused circuit at 350A (I recommend a fuse downgrade to 60A for Anderson use) This is much closer than the battery so less cabling is required.
The fiddly part of the adapter I made was the copper spacers to step down the wire gauges. If I did another one I would get a machine shop to do them for me. The rest of the adapter was straightforward to make. I have obtained an environmental boot to put on my adapter before I use it again.
Thanks , I did copy/paste your idea into the electrical>Nato section of my personal website of Grenadier "everything"
I know it's not rocket science but just want to make sure I don't make some silly error
At the end of the day if I get cold feet your homework will make it easy for an auto elec.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks , I did copy/paste your idea into the electrical>Nato section of my personal website of Grenadier "everything"
I know it's not rocket science but just want to make sure I don't make some silly error
At the end of the day if I get cold feet your homework will make it easy for an auto elec.
Happy to help. Reach out if you go that way and have questions.
Opportunity here for someone with a small lathe in their shed to knock out a few sets of spacers for a small fee. Different dimensions depending on 35mm or 50mm NATO plug used.

Attachments

• PXL_20230906_043354372.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230906_043354372.MP.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 78

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Happy to help. Reach out if you go that way and have questions.
Opportunity here for someone with a small lathe in their shed to knock out a few sets of spacers for a small fee. Different dimensions depending on 35mm or 50mm NATO plug used.
Cheers , I may just jump in and get the Nato plug and go from there
You have to have stuff to do things and you need things to do stuff!
I'm used to various workshop projects as required to restore and keep several classic cars on the road.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Van has Enerdrive 40Amp DC2DC Smart Charger
Likely there is already a 70amp fuse/breaker for the Enerdrive 40+ dc/dc in the cable that comes from the cars battery/alternator. (which in itself is interesting given many vans have lower rated 50amp Anderson plugs for connectors and likely cabling that's a little down on the recommended size) On an aside, battery location in the Ineos is ideal when considering (reduced) cable runs to rear of vehicle when compared to conventional engine bay mounted batteries and then to van electrics which could end up 9 or 10 metres away. Hence if you are able to use the cable/solenoid/Nato plug already supplied you are way ahead in terms of voltage drop/cable size. For the 40+ dc/dc Enerdrive recommend 25mm2 cable for 5 metre return run and 50mm2 for 10 metre return run.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
AUSTRALIA
ALL FIVE NATO TO ANDERSON ADAPTER CABLES SOLD OUT IN ONE DAY
The day I posted news about the NATO to 120 amp Anderson plug adapter cable to the INEOS forum, CTALS sold out all five adapter cables they had made, including to overseas customers. @Krabby @Stu_Barnes

CTALS are awaiting more NATO plug parts to make more adapter cables early next year (I just spoke with them). CTALS were surprised how quickly they went. I thanked CTALS for supporting INEOS owners with their DTP kits and the adapter cable and they said they were selling more product than they had expected. They were happy to support INEOS.

INEOS AU REP HAS SEEN THE CTALS ADAPTER CABLE
An Australian INEOS Rep has now seen the NATO adapter cable at Purnell Adventure in Sydney during a recent visit. They were impressed with the quality – as I said military grade! I understand other people within INEOS have been told and supplied with the CTALS links.

CTALS ADAPTER CABLE AT PURNELL ADVENTURE SYDNEY FOR A WHILE YET
The CTALS adapter cable (NATO to 120 amp Anderson) should stay with Purnell Adventure Sydney for the next few weeks. My car is looking like late January 2024, at best.

CTLAS also said they are seeing more caravan makers using 120 amp Anderson plugs instead of 50 amp plugs (in Australia). Some have already moved to 350 amp Anderson plugs. We just need INEOS to wire that rear NATO plug for the use by the winch and charging large battery banks in caravans. The next model may get that change.

ASK AND YOU MAY RECEIVE
One final lesson: this all come about because I asked CTLAS in March 2023 to do it, and they are customer focused and they did it. So, keep on asking vendors to support INEOS, we will have small victories from time to time. I started with the DTP Kits and later asked for the NATO to Anderson adapter cable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom