The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

NATO Plug,Socket

Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
NATO Plug male, Elparts 513051916 $25,- Chinese
NATO Plug male, Hella KDWHL09680 or 8JA001931-001 $ 50,- German

NATO Socket female, Elparts 51305416. $ 30,-
NATO Socket female, Hella 593512 8JB001935-031. $ 80,-

There are many more suppliers, the parts above have the full MIL spec & approval.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
NATO plugs
Australian source for NATO plugs here: https://tinyurl.com/2jtdzrpv

Thanks to Donkadonk for posting this link elsewhere on the site.

Other terminals (including Anderson plugs and Deutsch connectors)
Connector-Teck ALS also have a huge range of other connectors for a reasonable price. They also have an Australian eBay store, they are the cheapest source of genuine Anderson plugs I have found in Australia.

My blog laso has a sort article on the Pitfalls of Anderson Plugs (50 amp).

Copper cables, crimp terminals and shrink tubing
My blog article on crimping also has links for quality copper cables, shrink tube and crimp terminals (Australian emphasis).

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
NATO plugs
Australian source for NATO plugs here: https://tinyurl.com/2jtdzrpv

Thanks to Donkadonk for posting this link elsewhere on the site.

Other terminals (including Anderson plugs and Deutsch connectors)
Connector-Teck ALS also have a huge range of other connectors for a reasonable price. They also have an Australian eBay store, they are the cheapest source of genuine Anderson plugs I have found in Australia.

My blog laso has a sort article on the Pitfalls of Anderson Plugs (50 amp).

Copper cables, crimp terminals and shrink tubing
My blog article on crimping also has links for quality copper cables, shrink tube and crimp terminals (Australian emphasis).
Goddam that is insanely expensive. You can buy a dozen Anderson plugs for $25

This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.
Local time
Reaction score
Genuine Hella NATO Plugs are available at under $90, supposedly with free shipping to OZ:

You wouldn't´t be needing the far more expensive version as quoted earlier, The plug sits absolutely tight without the screwring.

1680630036708.png

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Genuine Hella NATO Plugs are available at under $90, supposedly with free shipping to OZ:

You wouldn't´t be needing the far more expensive version as quoted earlier, The plug sits absolutely tight without the screwring.

View attachment 7807773
In Australia there are corrugations, billions of them. You need the screwring, otherwise there is a real risk of the plug coming out.

Buy it once and buy it right.

Hopefully INEOS will have one as well.

Local time
Reaction score
In Australia there are corrugations, billions of them. You need the screwring, otherwise there is a real risk of the plug coming out.

Buy it once and buy it right.

Hopefully INEOS will have one as well.

Thats a valid point, no such thing here. Amazing, that the version with the ring is a $100 more..

But...what would be an application for having the plug constantly in the socket whilst driving ? From what I understand, it is meant to draw power mainly whilst stationary. Thats how the military uses it.

To power something or charge a battery in a trailer you wouldn't be using a 150-500AMP connector, but terminals 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 on the trailer coupling, which are there for that purpose.

Last edited:
Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
Thats a valid point, no such thing here. Amazing, that the version with the ring is a $100 more..

But...what would be an application for having the plug constantly in the socket whilst driving ? From what I understand, it is meant to draw power mainly whilst stationary. Thats how the military uses it.

To power something or charge a battery in a trailer you wouldn't be using a 150-500AMP connector, but terminals 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 on the trailer coupling, which are there for that purpose.
The screw in feature keeps the crap out via a gasket.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:17 AM
Reaction score

In Australia things are a bit different. Generally charging trailer house batteries and powering trailer 12v fridges on the road results in current draws above what can be safely and efficiently handled by the standard trailer plug wiring. For example the Redarc BMS system in my camper trailer can draw up to 30 amps.

To allow such loads to be safely drawn and mitigate voltage drop, it is common here to run wiring from the battery to a separate 50 amp Anderson plug at the rear of the vehicle. Thicker gauge wire is used to mitigate voltage drop andvoltage sensitive relays and 30-50amp fuses are used to protect the vehicle battery from going flat.

Cheers

Steve

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is the price from Anderson

View attachment 7807759
The 350 amp version Anderson plug is much bigger than the more common 50 amp version of the plug. Same shape just much bigger. This image gives you a rough idea, the grey plug being the 350 amp version:

l640-3603302788.jpg

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The 350 amp version Anderson plug is much bigger than the more common 50 amp version of the plug. Same shape just much bigger. This image gives you a rough idea, the grey plug being the 350 amp version:

View attachment 7807984
Yes.
I was trying to match an equivalent to the Nato plug that is supplied.
The one on the Grenadier is 150 AMP rated and is wired with 50mm Square the Anderson 50 Amp plug takes 6mm cable (probably will fit 10mm )
So swapping over to an Anderson 50 amp plug won't be easy

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Deutsch plugs used in the INEOS are two pin DTP style plugs, rated at 25 amps (12AGW wire size).

For Australian users they can be purchased from Connector-Tech ALS’ eBay store here. On the eBay store you can either buy the plugs as a pair, or a kit of 5 pairs and a crimping tool. Make sure you select the correct plug style, two pin DTP.

Here is a visual guide to the different Deutsch plugs, the correct one is bottom left rated at 25 amps.

DeuPlugs.jpg

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Might be easier to change over to 175A Andersons and utilise the Nato's 50mm2 cabling. Leave the Nato in place and add the Anderson somewhere. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/274643643002
The 175A accepts up to 53mm2 cable. The 120A fits 33mm2 so you'd have to trim the cable. Not an issue if it's only running a DC charger. The 175A is chunky but cheaper than AUD$180 for the Nato plug.

Attachments

• Anderson-SB-Plug-Sizes.jpg
    Anderson-SB-Plug-Sizes.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Australian update: NATO to Anderson adapter

I have had an Australian Co contact me to work on a solution. I have also contacted my INEOS Dealer to get involved (they are interested). Sorry to be vague, but this only happened yesterday and we are working on details and a NATO to Anderson adapter to test.

They are also working on a Deutsch DTP plug kit customised for INEOS users (I will post info to the Deutsch DTP thread in due course). The CEO asked for some feedback recently so I gave it and the Co. followed up on both matters!

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Last Saturday I went to see my Trialmaster. It has both the NATO and the Eu 13 pin plugs fitted and wired in . Tow ball has to be replaced because even though it has a 350 kg approved load, it is not approved for cycle racks etc. I ordered the tow pack electrics and 50mm tow ball etc for the UK and that is how it was delivered.
I also checked the locking wheel nuts out, I don’t think they are fit for steel wheels, they are clearly made to fit the alloy wheels so told JT Hughes not to fit them.
Looks great and can’t wait to get it!

Attachments

• IMG_6063.jpeg
    IMG_6063.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6052.jpeg
    IMG_6052.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_6069.jpeg
    IMG_6069.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_6062.jpeg
    IMG_6062.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 144

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Last Saturday I went to see my Trialmaster. It has both the NATO and the Eu 13 pin plugs fitted and wired in . Tow ball has to be replaced because even though it has a 350 kg approved load, it is not approved for cycle racks etc. I ordered the tow pack electrics and 50mm tow ball etc for the UK and that is how it was delivered.
I also checked the locking wheel nuts out, I don’t think they are fit for steel wheels, they are clearly made to fit the alloy wheels so told JT Hughes not to fit them.
Looks great and can’t wait to get it!
Looks good. Did you order the exterior utility belt or are they still fitting them by default?

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom