The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Nato hitch and rear number plate

Local time
8:01 PM
Reaction score
Hi I wish to attach the same setup as this picture to my Grenadier. I have this setup on two old defenders I already own. The problem is that for the Nato hitch to be at the correct height for the military trailer I own the Dixon Bate bracket needs to be mounted up high and as a result will obscure the number plate. I know there might be brackets for the square receiver but I already have a spare Dixon Bate setup and wish to use that. It will require the number plate and light to be relocated to the side door in a similar position the number plate as it is on old Defenders. Has anyone already done this?

IMG_0713.JPG

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:01 AM
Reaction score
If I were you I’d be a touch careful, especially if you have either a Trial or Fieldmaster.
There are some tricky rules around towing hitches and conformity for cars (which I think started mid 2010’s). I don’t thinks it‘s as bad with commercial vehicles but you may still need a properly certified hitch on an 2023 vehicle. Old DB’s imo were often un-stickered.

I run a similar set up to you on my 110 Wolf for either standard trailer or a military one but am not going that hitch route with the Gren Fieldmaster as I would be worried about insurance if an incident occurred, especially if a sharp eyed professional checked the vehicle and noticed something that didn’t seem Ineos supplied or properly marked.

Local time
Reaction score
If I were you I’d be a touch careful, especially if you have either a Trial or Fieldmaster.
There are some tricky rules around towing hitches and conformity for cars (which I think started mid 2010’s). I don’t thinks it‘s as bad with commercial vehicles but you may still need a properly certified hitch on an 2023 vehicle. Old DB’s imo were often un-stickered.

I run a similar set up to you on my 110 Wolf for either standard trailer or a military one but am not going that hitch route with the Gren Fieldmaster as I would be worried about insurance if an incident occurred, especially if a sharp eyed professional checked the vehicle and noticed something that didn’t seem Ineos supplied or properly marked.

Thanks for the advice Jon, I take your point I don't think those nato hitches are legal on the road at all except for the army. I have two old defenders with nato hitches that I occasionaly use with a tailer on road. I would still like the nato hitch on my Grenadier Trailmaster as I may need to manover my trailer with it and tow off road around my friends farm. Surely just having it on there but not used on road should'nt cause and issue with insurance?

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:01 AM
Reaction score
I’m sure a NATO hitch can be legal Simon, just needs care based on age of vehicle using one. Older vehicles don’t usually have to comply with later regulations. My 1996 110 Wolf has a NATO hitch, I’m sure it’s legal as the vehicle was built that way. It’d be the same with most xwd Landies, they had them fitted pretty much as standard after about 1960.
Just take care with a modern vehicle and older hitches IMO.

Local time
Reaction score
I’m sure a NATO hitch can be legal Simon, just needs care based on age of vehicle using one. Older vehicles don’t usually have to comply with later regulations. My 1996 110 Wolf has a NATO hitch, I’m sure it’s legal as the vehicle was built that way. It’d be the same with most xwd Landies, they had them fitted pretty much as standard after about 1960.
Just take care with a modern vehicle and older hitches IMO.
Thanks I'm going to look into it and check with a couple of trailer companies. I was also interested to know if anyone had solved the problem of the obscured number plate by moving it along with the electrics for the light. I think it would not be too hard to mount a square number plate on the small rear door and wire up a light whist still making it look acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom