The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Multiple transmission maps

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
I wrote in a previous post that, considering the multi-purpose nature of the Grenadier, its ability to switch from a daily work vehicle to an off-road vehicle, from a comfortable car for long journeys to a tractor, it would have been very interesting to be able to have various mappings available at will, which is rather easy considering the nature of the B58 and its very versatile application. Furthermore, as I pointed out, I find the current mapping rather aggressive, tending to always maintain a ratio that favors the torque, even when there is no need. For example, in daily use, considering the not exactly light consumption, I tend to use the manual a lot, to have a more fluid ratio, but I am not always allowed by the ECU. I understand that with almost three tons it is necessary to avoid strains on the kinematic chain but for this reason a choice of well-designed mappings would be desirable. Do you think that a possible reasoned mapping alternative can simply be implemented via software?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Since the gear ratios per gear would not change, it would then not be a gear ratio mapping, but a shift point mapping.

I don't think it's a big deal. In practice, however, it takes a lot of effort to test and validate alternative shift point curves.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:35 PM
Reaction score
Since the gear ratios per gear would not change, it would then not be a gear ratio mapping, but a shift point mapping.

I don't think it's a big deal. In practice, however, it takes a lot of effort to test and validate alternative shift point curves.
In discussions with the engineering crew on the "come for a ride days" 😍 (remember those????? )when they were in Australia with the prototype, they commented that the engine mapping / shift point integration was a substantial proportion of their field testing. During the trials, they had all sorts of test instrumentation connected to the vehicle for different recording performance under all sorts of conditions.
In the end compromises have to be made.
However when we consider Logsplitter's current African odyssey in the heat with a heavily laden vehicle, and compare that with Crankshaft Culture's magnificent effort in the frozen lands of Canada and Alaska in the Alcan5000.. same states of tune, it's a great testament to the development engineers' extensive foundational work in both hemispheres that we're now enjoying the fruits of their endeavours!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The question is whether it is really worth developing new mappings. The programming is simple, it's actually just a matter of editing the data in the Lokup tables. But finding the right data is the crucial part.The transmission software adapts to the driver's current driving style, and if it's a hectic ride, the software selects gears more aggressively than on a more relaxed ride, which statistically uses higher gears.

For me, that's a sufficient adjustment to what I actually need. Only sometimes I would like to have lower revs and a higher gear. But that really doesn't happen often.

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
Using the manual mode of the gearbox allows you to select what kind of performance or consumption you want,
When driving cars with automatic gearbox I use manual mode for example to increase engine braking.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Using the manual mode of the gearbox allows you to select what kind of performance or consumption you want,
When driving cars with automatic gearbox I use manual mode for example to increase engine braking.
This is what I'm doing, but not always the present software allows me to do so. Furthermore, acting manually on a automatic transmission is different in a way from a regular manual shifting, when you are in total control and your sensitivity is not distracted by interacting with the software. In any case, by combining manual and automatic I can already get quite good mileages, but it requires considerable concentration while driving. Nothing wrong with this, in fact, quite fun, but I think that having, as in almost all other current automatic transmission cars, a choice of three maps (S, N, E), perhaps even an Off road one, would not be against the spirit of the Grenadier...

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
2:35 AM
Reaction score

Fuel re-mapping would also have to be considered. An example would be with an economy mode where upshift points happen sooner and downshifts later. There would need to be reduced throttle response to prevent low RPM lugging but perhaps that could be attenuated to sudden changes in throttle pedal position (APPS?).

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
The only kind of re-mapping/box/ chip I would ever be interested in is an economy map.

As has been pointed out, the same current settings seem to be getting people around in different locations and terrains already.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Here you go...

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I had Tow mode on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport (entry level vehicle) and every vehicle with a hitch since.
Engine braking when 7000lbs is patting you on the ass as you approach a stop sign is very comforting.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here you go...

The problem with these is that it doesn't actually remap the throttle, all it does is alter the signal being sent to the DME/ECU, so it can amplify the TPS curve (by reporting a non-linear or multiplied linear value). The same could be done by moving your foot faster on the pedal (or to a predetermined "spot"). Because it alters this signal they generally give the perception of increased performance or responsiveness

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The problem with these is that it doesn't actually remap the throttle, all it does is alter the signal being sent to the DME/ECU, so it can amplify the TPS curve (by reporting a non-linear or multiplied linear value). The same could be done by moving your foot faster on the pedal (or to a predetermined "spot"). Because it alters this signal they generally give the perception of increased performance or responsiveness

I see, so not gear specific. I don't remember how sensitive the throttle is on a Grenadier but I don't think it was that touchy. Some vehicle TPS/APPS are super adamant about maintaining idle RPM which can make driving a manual transmission a bit uncontrolled in difficult terrain. The system will meter in excess fuel when coming slowly of the clutch causing lurching and stumbles.

Valet mode could be useful to slow the perps down anyway.

Back
Top Bottom