The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Mud Terrains

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
Sorry mate I meant it doesn’t look like IG offer the 285 as an option here.

Just looking at the rear doors (and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere I couldn’t find anything) I’m concerned that fitting 33’s (285-70-17) will stop you from opening the rear small door as the spare tyre could overhang. Anyone done checking on this?? Although maybe it’d be fine give 31” 18’s are an option.
I remember that there has been a comment here from someone who even measured out how big the tire could be to not block the small back door. Others thought about adapters to put the Center for mounting the spare wheel a little to the right. Unfortunately I didn’t find the link on short term

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
aah got you.

yes think the 33's could hamper rear door but might have to fabricate a bracket so can shift spare to offside a bit
It might even be a matter of extending straight out to gain clearance instead of sideways...hopefully, it would be simpler...happy motoring

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
Its about 50mm so a 33 or 285/70/17 would probably just fit depending on how chunky the tread is. Anything bigger might be a problem
I remember that there has been a comment here from someone who even measured out how big the tire could be to not block the small back door. Others thought about adapters to put the Center for mounting the spare wheel a little to the right. Unfortunately I didn’t find the link on short term

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221107-105820.png
    Screenshot_20221107-105820.png
    1 MB · Views: 48

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Four inches in diameter, that's a lot.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
at best, 50mm will still probably rub away the paint in the edge of the small door

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok so I’ll have to find a fix. Will only run 17’s but will want what I have on the 200 - agressive AT’s / RT’s like the Toyo RT or Nitto Ridge Grappler in a 33.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Its about 50mm so a 33 or 285/70/17 would probably just fit depending on how chunky the tread is. Anything bigger might be a problem
It doesn’t look like you measured that at the most narrow point, the tyre lug below looks closer. I reckon it would be about 40mm. However it is the tyre radius that matters.
Standard IG tyre is 265/70R17, diameter 31.6 inch
285/70/R17 diameter is 32.7 inch
So a 1.1 inch diameter difference, or a 0.55 inch radius difference, which is 14mm. So about 26mm door clearance.

315/70R17 - 34.4 inch - 1.2 inch radius diff, or 30.5mm. 9.5 mm door clearance.

35 inch, 1.7 inch radius diff, or 43.2 mm. 3.2 mm too big to clear door.

Maybe, if we get a sharper door clearance measurement for the stock tyre, the 35 will fit.

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I once drove COOPER DISCOVERER STT (not "PRO") on my Toyota J 9 in the size 285/75/16. These MTs were great, EVEN IN WINTER (Snow and Ice) - that is not typical for MTs.
So I think about - when I chance the wheel size - to take some nice MTs, perhaps the COOPERs. But you are right, in sand they are only the second best choice.

chriscroft

Production/Transit
Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
I'll run Cooper ST MAXX; not a true full mud; but they are very good in a slippery terrain in my experience without all the full mud downsides;
Tyre size: 255/80/17 which is 4.4% bigger with an 18.5mm (3/4") lift, as long as fits OK, which I guess it will.
Spare tyre: probably stick with OEM sizing 265/70/17 but change it to a cooper ST MAXX also. A space saver, if you will, nobody will notice ;)

Discoverer-S_T-Maxx-Feature-1.png

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
I'll run Cooper ST MAXX; not a true full mud; but they are very good in a slippery terrain in my experience without all the full mud downsides;
Tyre size: 255/80/17 which is 4.4% bigger with an 18.5mm (3/4") lift, as long as fits OK, which I guess it will.
Spare tyre: probably stick with OEM sizing 265/70/17 but change it to a cooper ST MAXX also. A space saver, if you will, nobody will notice ;)

Would there be any implications with the full-time 4x4 system and the wheels turning at different rates if you didn't use the same diameter tires (spare being 4.4% different)?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would there be any implications with the full-time 4x4 system and the wheels turning at different rates if you didn't use the same diameter tires (spare being 4.4% different)?
I would've thought so. Haven't read up too much on the Grenny's traction control but imagine any change in any wheel circumference from the other 3 would send it bonkers.

Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
In a perfect world I'd take delivery with no tyres and put Nitto ridge grappler's on without the change over pain.
I've used toyo and nitto on my truck, and while the toyo's lasted forever, they got loud when the tread wore down. Also hard to find toyos that balanced well.

I've been happier with the nitto grapplers even though the rubber seems a little softer and makes driving a little less firm feeling.

Local time
Reaction score

I ran these on my Wrangler in 315/70 R17 (about 34.5 inches in diameter). They were great. Better in mud than a BFG KO2, and a little better on the rocks, but louder on the highway, and not as smooth riding. Both tires were good on gravel and dirt. I run snow tires in the winter, so not a lot of snow driving on either the Cooper or BFG, but I think the Cooper was a little better in snow. Neither are really designed for deep sand, but I'd guess the Cooper would be better. The KO2 has a higher speed rating, but the STT Maxx has deeper tread. Overall, the STT Maxx is closer to a Mud Terrain and the KO2 more of a true AT.

P.S. I think a 33-inch tire will fit on the back and clear the small door - barely. It looks like there is an inch of clearance with the stock tire, and you'd only need .75 inches of addition clearance for a 33 (.75 on both sides = 1.5 inches total height gain over stock tire). It will be very close...

Grenadier_38_Spare_Tire.jpg

chriscroft

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I've had a few 4X4 SUV's with space savers which are very very much smaller in rolling radius, so I don't think so.
Also, 4.4% difference would only be like running a single tyre at a bit lower pressure than the rest due to a slow puncture etc; or indeed more heavily loading a single axel and not adjusting its tyre pressures.

Local time
Reaction score
I once drove COOPER DISCOVERER STT (not "PRO") on my Toyota J 9 in the size 285/75/16. These MTs were great, EVEN IN WINTER (Snow and Ice) - that is not typical for MTs.
So I think about - when I chance the wheel size - to take some nice MTs, perhaps the COOPERs. But you are right, in sand they are only the second best choice.

Interesting. We only have the STT Pro here in the USA. Have a web link handy for the STT?

Local time
Reaction score

I would hope not.
While my '03 G500 freaked out on twisty roads when I went from 265/60/18 (30.5"dia) to 285/75/16 (32.8"dia)--I literally had to learn to drive with 2 feet, left barely on the brake to tell the truck I was braking, right on the throttle to move the truck thru the corners--those earlier G's have finicky ESP/traction control and it's a known issue (and mind you, I had already changed the settings in the VG/t-case module and instrument cluster to clue the G in to the fact that I had larger tires). I think the later G's had different ESP software to allow larger tires.

Hoping the IG is smarter than the older G's, although not too smart where it overcomplicates things when going to a 33" or 35" tire.

Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
When I lived in the southern US, I had mud tires on my truck, jeep and Range Rover. Rarely snow and ice but often mud there. Our farm was half swamp Six months of the year so the mud tires made sense. Wyoming is an entirely different story. I bought a second set of wheels for my range rover and run dedicated studless snow tires in the winter and mud tires in the summer. My pickup truck still has Toyo open country mud terrains on it. Fantastic tire for heavy trucks and the tires have almost 53,000 miles on them even with winter sipes cut in them. However, I will say they are absolutely hazardous on snow and ice so will be putting all terrains on it next. Probably a set of the Toyo open country all-terrain III.

I’ve been really torn on what to do for the grenadier. I will likely end up putting a set of aggressive all-terrain‘s or a hybrid, all-terrain Mud tire that can run year-round and has better snow traction than a mud tire. Something like the Mickey Thompson Baja boss. Will also go up in a larger diameter while trying to keep the narrow width. I like the “pizza cutter” look on boxy SUVs and old trucks.CCA43538-82E5-4B6D-9849-A7314AC342E0.jpeg

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would hope not.
While my '03 G500 freaked out on twisty roads when I went from 265/60/18 (30.5"dia) to 285/75/16 (32.8"dia)--I literally had to learn to drive with 2 feet, left barely on the brake to tell the truck I was braking, right on the throttle to move the truck thru the corners--those earlier G's have finicky ESP/traction control and it's a known issue (and mind you, I had already changed the settings in the VG/t-case module and instrument cluster to clue the G in to the fact that I had larger tires). I think the later G's had different ESP software to allow larger tires.

Hoping the IG is smarter than the older G's, although not too smart where it overcomplicates things when going to a 33" or 35" tire.
I dont think there will be a major issue when you have all 4 wheels a slightly bigger size. The problem will be having a spare a different size. That is likely to be a problem. I wouldn’t do it. If it doesn’t fit on door, Black Sheep Innovations is making an offset spare adapter mount which should solve the problem

Back
Top Bottom