The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Mud Terrains

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
Here in southern England, the only terrain we really get is mud! Hence my choice of MTs. If I were just using the grenadier as a touring vehicle, I'd have fitted ATs. However the sites I'll need to get on in winter are often muddy as hell

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
Here in southern England, the only terrain we really get is mud! Hence my choice of MTs. If I were just using the grenadier as a touring vehicle, I'd have fitted ATs. However the sites I'll need to get on in winter are often muddy as hell
I can understand that very well. I have now driven some muddy greenlanes and also again and again country roads and motorways. Therefore, the BFGs are a good compromise for me.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:00 AM
Reaction score
Sensible choice.
We get gravel, loose rocks, sand, poor quality tar and flooding.
That makes AT's a good choice.
1692049933406.png1692049908220.png1692050070188.png1692050309898.png1692050438382.png1692050629794.png1692050778701.png1692050811437.png
1692050956906.png1692050991969.png

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Plenty of mud where I live and if and when the A/Ts clog up, well I may have to resort to that fancy winch 😃
The one my wife insisted we get.
Luckily there are lots of trees on our tracks.

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
I’ve decided to go with the Toyo RT’s. Now I’ll just wait for the Gren to arrive :)
Well, I just saw a set of Toyo R/T’s in person and they didn’t really appeal to me. So I’m back on the search for 255/80R17’s, possibly Toyo R/T Trail, Open Country A/T III, or Nitto Ridge Grappler.

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
Well, I just saw a set of Toyo R/T’s in person and they didn’t really appeal to me. So I’m back on the search for 255/80R17’s, possibly Toyo R/T Trail, Open Country A/T III, or Nitto Ridge Grappler.

+1 for Toyo ATIII.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like the Nitto’s but they aren’t a 80k+ tyre.

My local tyrefitter is talking up the Maxxis Razr big time, ranking them as way better than the Toyo and Nitto. So maybe look at them as well. I don’t think the come in pizza cutters though.

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
I like the Nitto’s but they aren’t a 80k+ tyre.

My local tyrefitter is talking up the Maxxis Razr big time, ranking them as way better than the Toyo and Nitto. So maybe look at them as well. I don’t think the come in pizza cutters though.

Which A/T is an 80,000mi tire? NONE.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
MT Baja Boss AT have a 50k miles guarantee in the states. Not sure if it carries to other countries

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:00 PM
Reaction score
I was looking at the Cooper site and I understand that the Discoverer St Maxx only have a Q speed index when S is required in the registration certificate

what alternatives are there to BFGs? On the Land with the Coopers I felt very comfortable.

I don't have fond memories of BFGs in the wet

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My ko2's aren't great on wet tarmac and my's km3's are worse by some margin.

Snow, the AT's have it over the MT's but definitely MT's better than standard tyres in the white stuff.

Having said all that the MT's aren't just good in mud but sand, rocks, wet grass they have it hands down.

Depends what you're after and down to personal experience
Interesting. I have k02s on a triton Ute which is still scary round corners in the dry and lethal in the wet. But ineos has exact same tires and is brilliant in wet and dry handling. Setup play a big part in the handling I think - and not being an empty ute with leaf springs . And yes - I swapped out the chunky MTs on the Ute for the ATs in the interest of living long enough to enjoy my ineos 😂. Glad I did.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting. I have k02s on a triton Ute which is still scary round corners in the dry and lethal in the wet. But ineos has exact same tires and is brilliant in wet and dry handling. Setup play a big part in the handling I think - and not being an empty ute with leaf springs . And yes - I swapped out the chunky MTs on the Ute for the ATs in the interest of living long enough to enjoy my ineos 😂. Glad I did.
K02 compound was changed and now handles much better in the wet.

Local time
Reaction score
There are (or at least there "were") two rubber compounds available in the KO2: one that is Three Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMS) rated (i.e. rated for winter use), and one that is not.

The 3PMS rubber has always performed well in snow and on wet roads.

The other rubber compound lasts longer, but was a harder rubber, and it wasn't very grippy on wet asphalt or in the snow.

While the tread design was the same, the difference in rubber made the two versions of the tire very different tires. But most people don't pay attention to whether or not they bought 3PMS, and so complaints about one version get lumped in with the whole model of tire.

A fair number of people also seem unaware that the same model of tire - in the exact same size - can come in a whole range of load ratings, and the difference in load rating can also have an enormous impact of the driving characteristics of the tire.

People write about their experience with tires on forums and often do not specify which version of the tire they own. An E-rated KO2 with the harder rubber compound is a completely different tire than a C-rated KO2 with 3PMS rubber. They may be the exact same size, with the same tread pattern, and the same name on the side (KO2) - but they are nothing alike.

Maybe the KO3 will only come with one rubber compound - we'll see - but they will certainly continue to be made with different load ratings, because people have different needs when it comes to load.

Were your KO2s made from 3PMS rubber, or the harder compound? What was the load-rating on your KO2s, and what was the typical driving weight of your vehicle? At what pressure did you run your tires? How old were they when they were 'scary' around corners?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There are (or at least there "were") two rubber compounds available in the KO2: one that is Three Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMS) rated (i.e. rated for winter use), and one that is not.

The 3PMS rubber has always performed well in snow and on wet roads.

The other rubber compound lasts longer, but was a harder rubber, and it wasn't very grippy on wet asphalt or in the snow.

While the tread design was the same, the difference in rubber made the two versions of the tire very different tires. But most people don't pay attention to whether or not they bought 3PMS, and so complaints about one version get lumped in with the whole model of tire.

A fair number of people also seem unaware that the same model of tire - in the exact same size - can come in a whole range of load ratings, and the difference in load rating can also have an enormous impact of the driving characteristics of the tire.

People write about their experience with tires on forums and often do not specify which version of the tire they own. An E-rated KO2 with the harder rubber compound is a completely different tire than a C-rated KO2 with 3PMS rubber. They may be the exact same size, with the same tread pattern, and the same name on the side (KO2) - but they are nothing alike.

Maybe the KO3 will only come with one rubber compound - we'll see - but they will certainly continue to be made with different load ratings, because people have different needs when it comes to load.

Were your KO2s made from 3PMS rubber, or the harder compound? What was the load-rating on your KO2s, and what was the typical driving weight of your vehicle? At what pressure did you run your tires? How old were they when they were 'scary' around corners?
I drove the Grenadier on a bitumen test track that was wet from light rain.
It had the K02 tyres that come with the vehicle from factory.
I was surprised at how well it gripped on bends.
I was driving with Justin Hocevar in the passenger seat.
On the home straight he told me to go as fast as I wanted and then slam on the brakes.
It pulled up quickly, dead straight with no squirming.
Very impressed.

This was the test track I was on.
1694553200672.png

Local time
Reaction score
When I lived in the southern US, I had mud tires on my truck, jeep and Range Rover. Rarely snow and ice but often mud there. Our farm was half swamp Six months of the year so the mud tires made sense. Wyoming is an entirely different story. I bought a second set of wheels for my range rover and run dedicated studless snow tires in the winter and mud tires in the summer. My pickup truck still has Toyo open country mud terrains on it. Fantastic tire for heavy trucks and the tires have almost 53,000 miles on them even with winter sipes cut in them. However, I will say they are absolutely hazardous on snow and ice so will be putting all terrains on it next. Probably a set of the Toyo open country all-terrain III.

I’ve been really torn on what to do for the grenadier. I will likely end up putting a set of aggressive all-terrain‘s or a hybrid, all-terrain Mud tire that can run year-round and has better snow traction than a mud tire. Something like the Mickey Thompson Baja boss. Will also go up in a larger diameter while trying to keep the narrow width. I like the “pizza cutter” look on boxy SUVs and old trucks.View attachment 7806189
When I lived in the southern US, I had mud tires on my truck, jeep and Range Rover. Rarely snow and ice but often mud there. Our farm was half swamp Six months of the year so the mud tires made sense. Wyoming is an entirely different story. I bought a second set of wheels for my range rover and run dedicated studless snow tires in the winter and mud tires in the summer. My pickup truck still has Toyo open country mud terrains on it. Fantastic tire for heavy trucks and the tires have almost 53,000 miles on them even with winter sipes cut in them. However, I will say they are absolutely hazardous on snow and ice so will be putting all terrains on it next. Probably a set of the Toyo open country all-terrain III.

I’ve been really torn on what to do for the grenadier. I will likely end up putting a set of aggressive all-terrain‘s or a hybrid, all-terrain Mud tire that can run year-round and has better snow traction than a mud tire. Something like the Mickey Thompson Baja boss. Will also go up in a larger diameter while trying to keep the narrow width. I like the “pizza cutter” look on boxy SUVs and old trucks.View attachment 7806189
+1 for the Baja Boss AT LT

Back
Top Bottom