The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Motor oil change instructions and parts?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
FWIW: Perhaps the "off road" is designed to reduce the risk of oil starvation in "extreme lean" (>25deg) events rather than off road/ overlanding trips where lesser gradients might be experienced.
This is how I understand it. Also you get the added benefit of additional thermal capacity due to the extra oil keeping things in the ideal operating range when everything is working harder and generating more heat.

People forget that oil takes out almost as much heat from an engine as the coolant. Followed up by air flow in the engine bay. Then a distant last is the exhaust flow and scavenging effect.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. I'm particularly interested in the ease of removing the old filter and then installing the new one. Also, what condition is the old filter in when you take it out? Coming up on my first oil change (at 800mi) and have been reading a lot about the B58 filter issues. Thanks!
When I do mine I’ll get an analysis done. Although without a comparative one for new oil it’s pretty sketchy with regards to tbn and additives. You’ll only get an idea of wear particulates really.

Once you benchmark new oil to your engines used oil then it’s much easier to spot the trends. But to be honest it’s a modern engine and the wear particulate after being bedded in slow down dramatically.

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. I'm particularly interested in the ease of removing the old filter and then installing the new one. Also, what condition is the old filter in when you take it out? Coming up on my first oil change (at 800mi) and have been reading a lot about the B58 filter issues. Thanks!
BMW has not had a dip stick for that engine for over 15 years. It has been fine. It is just a new way and your children will wonder why anyone ever used a dip stick cause it will be gone from most engines over the next several years. They will wonder why anyone would crawl into the engine compartment to check the oil level, lol

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
When I do mine I’ll get an analysis done. Although without a comparative one for new oil it’s pretty sketchy with regards to tbn and additives. You’ll only get an idea of wear particulates really.

Once you benchmark new oil to your engines used oil then it’s much easier to spot the trends. But to be honest it’s a modern engine and the wear particulate after being bedded in slow down dramatically.
I’m undecided on UOA. I’ll change oil this Sunday,
And I could submit the factory fill plus my new oil. Or, I could skip UOA altogether.
🤷‍♂️

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In talking with a BMW technician, the lack of a dip stick has to do with overall "improving" emissions - essentially one less hole in the engine is an "offset" to improvement, a balance sheet issue.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In reality, they just don't want the average BMW driver doing their own oil changes, is what that means.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In reality, they just don't want the average BMW driver doing their own oil changes, is what that means.
The oil change is easy - no different from any other car. Just need the proper tools and a long arm reach ;) - the filter is on the driver's side at the back of the engine down on side a bit - the bumper is a great support for crawling up into the engine area to reach this 😂. Drain plug underneath is unobstructed and a vertical drop. For companies to meet emission "standards", it is a give and take system - I'll give you "x" points for reduced emission if you take away the drain plug.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In talking with a BMW technician, the lack of a dip stick has to do with overall "improving" emissions - essentially one less hole in the engine is an "offset" to improvement, a balance sheet issue.
Ok, I get it, they have this new system to monitor the oil and how contaminated it is. Bravo. I still want a dip stick.
How do you know if you are in the outback or for that matter anywhere, how much oil you have if suspect something is wrong and your battery or a sensor is dead?
How much may be lost, how much to add? Not to mention the pure psychic enjoyment of simply taking one look and knowing all is well.
I think they took away our one last connection to the engine.
I used to enjoy dropping my VW van engine in 10 minutes and rebuilding it over the weekend. I would check the dip stick before turning it over. Pure Joy!
What the hell am I going to do if I get an electric.;)
DaBull

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, I get it, they have this new system to monitor the oil and how contaminated it is. Bravo. I still want a dip stick.
How do you know if you are in the outback or for that matter anywhere, how much oil you have if suspect something is wrong and your battery or a sensor is dead?
How much may be lost, how much to add? Not to mention the pure psychic enjoyment of simply taking one look and knowing all is well.
I think they took away our one last connection to the engine.
I used to enjoy dropping my VW van engine in 10 minutes and rebuilding it over the weekend. I would check the dip stick before turning it over. Pure Joy!
What the hell am I going to do if I get an electric.;)
DaBull
I still have my 96 Discovery ... change is difficult ;)

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did you end up doing the oil change? did you replace the plastic drain plug?
I didn't have time, so I pushed it to Wednesday or Friday this week.

You better take another look under your Gren. The engine sump has a metal drain plug. I just stuck a magnet on it.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I didn't have time, so I pushed it to Wednesday or Friday this week.

You better take another look under your Gren. The engine sump has a metal drain plug. I just stuck a magnet on it.
Well.. this is embarrassing. I think I was looking at the transmission drain plug LOL. I am now re-thinking if I should pay someone else to do the oil change since this could have gone incredibly wrong.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well.. this is embarrassing. I think I was looking at the transmission drain plug LOL. I am now re-thinking if I should pay someone else to do the oil change since this could have gone incredibly wrong.
May i suggest taking it to a Independent BMW mechanic familiar with the engine and have them do the first change with you watching - it is straight forward ... just a long reach to the filter! Oddly the oil cap goes back on with a simple "click".

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I encourage everyone to learn to work on their vehicle, but mechanicals and technology have drastically changed since the 1960’s and 70’s vehicles many of us old timers learned to wrench on. There is no shame in cautiously learning your way into regular maintenance. No doubt that Ineos making good on their promise of workshop manuals will be a huge help!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
The dipstick (basically a 40 cm long piece of sheet metal made of cheap steel) is omitted and instead power-consuming electronics are installed, which are connected to a wire (made of rare copper) and containing semiconductors with seldom or toxic raw-materials whose housing requires smelting aluminum and steel, and which ultimately have to be separated, recycled and sometimes melted down again everytime it has to be replaced - is this the madness that has recently been described as “sustainability”? Rescue the planet? Save the climate? Reduce emissions?

And an oil dipstick lasts maybe 200 years or longer. How long does an electronic device last, including connectors, cables and all the other stuff you need for it to function?

The balance sheet of ... idiocy?

🤔

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
The dipstick (basically a 40 cm long piece of sheet metal made of cheap steel) is omitted and instead power-consuming electronics are installed, which are connected to a wire (made of rare copper) and containing semiconductors with seldom or toxic raw-materials whose housing requires smelting aluminum and steel, and which ultimately have to be separated, recycled and sometimes melted down again everytime it has to be replaced - is this the madness that has recently been described as “sustainability”? Rescue the planet? Save the climate? Reduce emissions?

And an oil dipstick lasts maybe 200 years or longer. How long does an electronic device last, including connectors, cables and all the other stuff you need for it to function?

The balance sheet of ... idiocy?

🤔
Cynic 🤣🤣🤣

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did my oil change on Wednesday. We added 7qts and did the check procedure, waiting until the vehicle was up to temp. It indicated a qt low, so we added a qt and then checked again, system reported O for bot on and off road..

This is in line with what I was told by the Ineos dealer in Idaho, that it wanted 8qts instead of 7.

We used Liquid Moly 6600
View attachment 7845218

View attachment 7845217
So Adam, I posted elsewhere but you are saying that the owners manual is either incorrect or doesn't take into account the filter change and you should really add about 8qts of oil with a filter change instead of the manuals 6.8? I added 6.8 and am getting the Refill 1.0I message which jives with what you are saying.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That was the case at the dealer in Idaho Falls & my local shop here.
So Adam, I posted elsewhere but you are saying that the owners manual is either incorrect or doesn't take into account the filter change and you should really add about 8qts of oil with a filter change instead of the manuals 6.8? I added 6.8 and am getting the Refill 1.0I message which jives with what you are saying.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That was the case at the dealer in Idaho Falls & my local shop here.
7.6 Quarts and no warning lights and double OKs on the screen. Amazing that the manual is that far off (maybe they are only quoting oil pan capacity, who knows) but they really do need to step up their information game for DIYers and field maintenance. Glad I had extra oil purchased.

Back
Top Bottom