The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Motor oil change instructions and parts?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
Does anybody have the original motor oil change instructions and part numbers?

Anything special to obey?

Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
The oil filter housing is 25Nm as its plastic you will need a 32mm socket and universal joint. otherwise I won't teach you to suck eggs. The BMW filter comes wait the o rings and copper crus washer .

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
Can we do the suction method? Does it have an oil level dipstick tube?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
Can we do the suction method? Does it have an oil level dipstick tube?
No dipstick, not sure if the suction thing works otherwise.

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
No dipstick, not sure if the suction thing works otherwise.
While it's true that the Petrol engine does not have a dipstick the diesel does have one (albeit in a rather difficult to access position right at the back of the engine). However Ineos recommend against using the dipstick. I presume this is because the Grenadier has a greater oil requirement and the dipstick is not calibrated to this.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does anybody have the original motor oil change instructions and part numbers?

Anything special to obey?
No instructions but @Tinki left some good comments and photos in the B57 diesel oil thread.

For diesel these are the part numbers from Ineos, you could of course source from BMW but the part numbers will be different. I though best to get through my dealer for warranty purposes so I could prove I'd fitted the right parts.

EGRA-1000-012600 Oil Filter
EGRA-0000-011580 Sealing Washer
EGRA-0000-011720 Screw Plug
EGRA-3B02-008230 Air Filter

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
While it's true that the Petrol engine does not have a dipstick the diesel does have one (albeit in a rather difficult to access position right at the back of the engine). However Ineos recommend against using the dipstick. I presume this is because the Grenadier has a greater oil requirement and the dipstick is not calibrated to this.
I assumed petrol since Norb is in NA, but you're correct. It still baffles my mind that there is no ability to check the oil the old fashioned way - this will be a first for me, and I would guess most of us.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I assumed petrol since Norb is in NA, but you're correct. It still baffles my mind that there is no ability to check the oil the old fashioned way - this will be a first for me, and I would guess most of us.

Speaking of old fashioned - I don't subscribe to the 1 year/12,000 mile oil change interval. I'll probably change after 3k miles initially, then go to a 6k mile moving forward.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Speaking of old fashioned - I don't subscribe to the 1 year/12,000 mile oil change interval. I'll probably change after 3k miles initially, then go to a 6k mile moving forward.
Time, not milage, will be the issue for me as I don't drive too far during the school year (my commute is four miles one way). That said, I'm not a fan of 12,000 mile intervals either. Maybe I'm just old and stuck in my ways, but changing oil early/short of the established target will not hurt the engine by any means. The wallet, yes, but the engine, no.

jb504

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
how in the wide world of sports are we supposed to check the oil levels without a dipstick?

i saw the nonsense on p. 178 of the owner’s manual about checking the info screen. sensors fail. will be hard to trust that method.

Reactions: AWo

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
how in the wide world of sports are we supposed to check the oil levels without a dipstick?

i saw the nonsense on p. 178 of the owner’s manual about checking the info screen. sensors fail. will be hard to trust that method.
Hi,
a) some modern cars haven't had dipsticks for a few decades (eg Land Rover Discovery, Range Rover, Jaguars) albeit it doesn't require the engine running.
b) it is not possible on the BMW engine because it has a different sump arrangement in the Ineos and therefore doesn't give a true reading.
c) the existing dipstick is in such a awkward location you can't readily get to it anyway

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
While I haven't yet tried in practice, it may be feasible to mark the B57 (diesel) dipstick when completing an oil change noting the oil level when cold after adding 6L then each 500ml thereafter bringing the total to 7.5L. Then seeing what the sensors reveal on the display...
(totally off topic...I happened to watched the fella who does engine "teardowns" on YouTube. The BMW Mini turbo has most of the dipstick housed inside the hollow plastic timing chain guide!! How does that work?..:unsure: (rhetorical question:rolleyes:)

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
While I haven't yet tried in practice, it may be feasible to mark the B57 (diesel) dipstick when completing an oil change noting the oil level when cold after adding 6L then each 500ml thereafter bringing the total to 7.5L. Then seeing what the sensors reveal on the display...
(totally off topic...I happened to watched the fella who does engine "teardowns" on YouTube. The BMW Mini turbo has most of the dipstick housed inside the hollow plastic timing chain guide!! How does that work?..:unsure: (rhetorical question:rolleyes:)
Yes, that's a good idea. Hopefully this provides a way of calibrating the dipstick to make it useful

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So is the B58 just a drain-n-fill, filter, then check oil level on the screen? And advantage/disadvantage of filling to the off-road level, aside from planning to go off-road?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
So is the B58 just a drain-n-fill, filter, then check oil level on the screen? And advantage/disadvantage of filling to the off-road level, aside from planning to go off-road?
Wondered about this. Mine says add for offroad. I haven't added yet.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wondered about this. Mine says add for offroad. I haven't added yet.
I still don't understand why this is the case - why not make the off-road fill level, thee fill level? If I run M-F at the "normal level", but have to add 500ml to hit the trails on the weekend, come Monday morning I'm 500 ml OVER the "normal" level. Is this OK? Am I now over-filled?

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For the DIY folks out there one of the few commonly found oils for us US folks that even lists BMW LL17fe+ and ACEA A5 (recommended for) is the Valvoline European 0w-20. This oil is currently on sale at NAPA for $7.49/qt if you want to pick some up to have on hand. Think that a good price for the European spec oils. If not well I tried!

samnt650

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone know how to reset the service interval after oil change? Or this is a dealer only reset :(

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I still don't understand why this is the case - why not make the off-road fill level, thee fill level? If I run M-F at the "normal level", but have to add 500ml to hit the trails on the weekend, come Monday morning I'm 500 ml OVER the "normal" level. Is this OK? Am I now over-filled?
I think this question is a good one for Stu to pass on to IG.

Chelsea Tractor

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:16 AM
Reaction score
I think this question is a good one for Stu to pass on to IG.
Also, unless I am doing it wrong,
all I get when checking oil level is that it is 'OK'
Have not found any indication of the actual level / how much to add. Assume it will wait until the level is not 'OK' but still need to know how much to add at that pont.

Back
Top Bottom