The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Mobile phone as GPS tracker

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever thought of using a discarded cell phone as a GPS tracker or theft detector?

It has everything built in: A GPS chip, a battery, a low-power design for longer battery life, and a sim card with GSM access. And there seem to be some apps for this purpose.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Can anyone recommend an app (Android/Apple) without a monthly fee?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:44 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever thought of using a discarded cell phone as a GPS tracker or theft detector?

It has everything built in: A GPS chip, a battery, a low-power design for longer battery life, and a sim card with GSM access. And there seem to be some apps for this purpose.

I track my grandsons cell phone whenever he is having a visit with his father.
they are perfect for that

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Which app do you use?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I inherit my family's used phones as my new phone, so that won't work for me.
Why not just buy a unit with extra functions?
I just read about one which says "Other features include a built-in microphone to listen to what is happening in your car in realtime, and an engine kill function to remotely disable the engine."
Sounds good!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
My wife bought me a couple of Apple Airtags for Christmas. I have used one in my hold luggage on a few trips and it's actually quite good. Will bury the second one somewhere in the Grenny when I get it.
Perhaps there's something similar for Android users?

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My wife bought me a couple of Apple Airtags for Christmas. I have used one in my hold luggage on a few trips and it's actually quite good. Will bury the second one somewhere in the Grenny when I get it.
same

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Plus one

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had an airtag in my luggage last trip home from Switzerland after my luggage was lost on the way to switzerland.
They only work if there is an iphone or ipad nearby that is connected to the network.
I now have it in my wife's car so I know where she is when driving remotely.

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had an airtag in my luggage last trip home from Switzerland after my luggage was lost on the way to switzerland.
They only work if there is an iphone or ipad nearby that is connected to the network.
I now have it in my wife's car so I know where she is when driving remotely.
That is true.
Guess it depends on what you attempt to track.
If it is your car being stolen, then it is very likely it will be driven through areas with an iPhone present.
Upside of a token is a year of battery life with no hassle and being super small.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score

Do it all the time when the wife is off riding in the forest, I can track her phone. It's a standard feature with Samsung phones using Google maps. Obviously needs a phone signal which can be an issue in some areas.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I inherit my family's used phones as my new phone, so that won't work for me.
That doesn't sound logic to me: what about the phone you had before your inheritance?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That doesn't sound logic to me: what about the phone you had before your inheritance?
Work provided that featureless beginner model. And before that , a pager.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Obviously needs a phone signal which can be an issue in some areas.
But that's the case with any technology except satellite phones (which however takes a phone signal as well).

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
OP it would work but it still needs a signal.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
In my caravan here in Oz I used an Android phone with Google's Find My Device App but hiding it where it wouldn't be found and getting a reliable GPS signal didn't work out. Plus thieves can easily scan for it as GPS is constantly 'on'. You also have to power it fulltime in that spot. I now use a rechargeable wireless GPS tracker with lithium battery that lasts 6 mths between charges, the App alerts when the battery is low. The GPS doesn't turn on until it detects movement. If the vehicle moves outside a set perimeter it sends GPS co-ords every 2 minutes to the App which alerts via SMS/Email (using 3G & 4G). If the SIM loses signal it saves the plot then uploads it when back in range. You can view the plot in the App or on a desktop, and police can be given temporary access to your account so they can track it on their phone or desktop. Unit cost me AUD$175 a year ago and there's a AUD$69/yr sub. There should be something similar local to you or one with similar features online. https://www.solidgps.com/caravans/

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
can easily scan for it as GPS is constantly 'on'.
GPS is only a receiver on a phone. The GPS signal cannot be scanned.

But GSM can be scanned, with or without a running GPS receiver. Sometimes you can even hear the GSM polling signal through a car radio or the speakers of your PC. However, ordinary GPS trackers have the same problem, because they also have a GSM connection

Back
Top Bottom