The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Maxtrax recovery track ladder mounting bracket

MattG

GG #2987
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
I mounted two XTR Maxtrax-mini specific mounting brackets onto the rear ladder using four clamps, strengthened with two pieces of 30x3mm flat steel bar. Very rigid, lockable and still allows plenty of access to the rear door handle. I chose the Maxtrax Jack-base and mini recovery boards (rather than their full-size cousins) to minimise the impact on the already pretty limited vision through the rear window.

Attachments

• IMG_3496.jpeg
    IMG_3496.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3500.jpeg
    IMG_3500.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3501.jpeg
    IMG_3501.jpeg
    756.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3502.jpeg
    IMG_3502.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3505.jpeg
    IMG_3505.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 137

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
Like the look, but 2 issues.
It’s going to make it a pain to access the door button and handle, I tried mounting mine there and decided I couldn’t live with it, and I am skeptical that mini MaxTrax will be very useful for a vehicle as big and heavy as a a Grenadier

Last edited:
Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score
Hi, well done! But as far as I understand: the longer the recovery boards are, the better.
Up to now, I never needed recovery boards with my Defender and we have been in southern Afrika twice 9 months on safaris.

MattG

GG #2987
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
Like the look, but 2 issues.
It’s going to make it a pain to access the door button and handle, I tried mounting mine there and decided I couldn’t live with it, and I am skeptical that mini MaxTrax will be very useful for a vehicle as big and heavy as a a Grenadier
Mini Maxtrax can be joined together to make a recovery track that is as long as one Maxtrax Mk II. So four of these Mini’s are equivalent to two MkII Maxtrax boards. I’ve successfully recovered our 2.9 Tonne VW Amarok using mini Maxtrax joined together in the past. I’d prefer the longer boards but I can’t fit a roof rack because of the underground carparks I have to use!

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for posting I was wondering how to mount Maxtraxs on the ladder. Your system should work for all 3 sizes of Maxtrax. Nice to have choices, if I need weight off the roof rack.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for posting I was wondering how to mount Maxtraxs on the ladder. Your system should work for all 3 sizes of Maxtrax. Nice to have choices, if I need weight off the roof rack.
The other method @TheDocAUS is to use the Maxtrax spare wheel mount. It functions the same way secured around the ladder as it does when used as designed.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score
I mounted two XTR Maxtrax-mini specific mounting brackets onto the rear ladder using four clamps, strengthened with two pieces of 30x3mm flat steel bar. Very rigid, lockable and still allows plenty of access to the rear door handle. I chose the Maxtrax Jack-base and mini recovery boards (rather than their full-size cousins) to minimise the impact on the already pretty limited vision through the rear window

@MattG One question: Access to the door handle from the side between ladder and spare wheel? looks very narrow

21DFND

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I used the Kaon mounting plate to hold 4 Tread GT recovery boards on my last trip to the Victorian High Country. Held up well when off roading, little bit tight to get the door open. Pretty easy to unbolt and remove when not needed.

Attachments

• IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 73

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I do like the spare tire mount except..... my ocd couldn't live with that 2" or 3" sticking out the top over the roof like in that first picture

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There’s always the multi purpose option. I reckon I’ll run with one of these. Of course it only holds 2, but touch wood I’ve only ever needed two, and if helping someone out that needed more, someone else has also had two.

Nadir5

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
Interesting approach! I'm in a similar boat with height restrictions. I am choosing not to use the MaxTrax spare tire mount because I ordered the tire storage box and plan to keep recovery gear there - having to take the boards off every time I want to get a strap seems like it would get 'old.'

Back
Top Bottom