The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Long distance higher speed driving

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:13 PM
Reaction score
@TD5-90 thanks for the feedback. I had a follow-on question or maybe clarification.
You mention in the last sentence :

However, the high-speed behaviour of the Def is "breathtaking" compared to the Gren, 120+ needs the middle lane of a 3-lane motorway with no one around you..

Was that to say the Gren is ok at 120 but any faster and it wanders?
I took TD5-90 to say the Defender at high speeds will "take your breath away" - best be focused on driving and nothing else! Needs all the room you can get on a highway and no one near you for fear of sideswiping them.
Please correct me TD5-90 if I am in error.
Cheers!

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:13 PM
Reaction score
I took TD5-90 to say the Defender at high speeds will "take your breath away" - best be focused on driving and nothing else! Needs all the room you can get on a highway and no one near you for fear of sideswiping them.
Please correct me TD5-90 if I am in error.
Cheers!
Spot-on @Catpaw4x4 , that's what I wanted to express!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
I have done several thousand highway kilometres now. I find it to be an exceptionally comfortable highway cruiser. As @James says, if you grip the steering wheel in a death grip you will find yourself making a lot of corrections, the secret is a light touch and it really doesn’t require a lot of input. There is no doubt it does feel different from modern independently suspended rack and pinion vehicles but you adapt extremely quickly, or I did anyway.

Last edited:

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I have done a few hundred miles on French Autoroute at 81mph/130kph and a few thousand miles on UK Motorway at 70mph or whatever the speed restricition for road works was that day. The Grenadier has proved to be a reliable workmate, steady even when the weather is rough and the roads soaking. I have done over 13,200 miles now so the novelty has worn off a little; now it is a bit more like respect.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have done a few hundred miles on French Autoroute at 81mph/130kph and a few thousand miles on UK Motorway at 70mph or whatever the speed restricition for road works was that day. The Grenadier has proved to be a reliable workmate, steady even when the weather is rough and the roads soaking. I have done over 13,200 miles now so the novelty has worn off a little; now it is a bit more like respect.
What are they telling you there to do for oil changes? Are you taking it by the dealer or handling it yourself?

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
What are they telling you there to do for oil changes? Are you taking it by the dealer or handling it yourself?
It had a first service around 8500 miles, as I knew I would be in France at the 12,000 mile point. The dealer did the work.

Until they release the technical manual, passing it to someone else or DIYing it is a bit problematic. Still, we should have wider release of the electronic manual Q1 2024, unless it has been delayed.

Grapa

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I drove 5 1/2 - 6 hours from San Diego to Phoenix and back between the speeds of 70mph and 90mph (mostly around 90 shhhhh 🤫). Very easy drive, no wobble, very little if any wander. I was very impressed. After the drive my hands weren't vibrating and I didn't feel any driving fatigue.
I did Miami - Jacksonville (5 pax, big yeti cooler and kids bikes )and it drives great. Even though it has the aerodynamics of a semi truck, it is very drivable and much better than a 2014 G wagen, no wobble or unsafe feel whatsoever.
with florida downpours of rain, I will say the wipers may need a faster speed since it is on the slower spectrum vs a land cruiser or lexus GX.

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:13 AM
Reaction score
I have done several thousand highway kilometres now. I find it to be an exceptionally comfortable highway cruiser. As @James says, if you grip the steering wheel in a death grip you will find yourself making a lot of corrections, the secret is a light touch and it really doesn’t require a lot of input. There is no doubt it does feel different from modern independently suspended rack and pinion vehicles but you adapt extremely quickly, or I did anyway.
Please .. PLEASE for all that is Good, make this a "sticky" or better yet add as a mandatory 'Confirmation' when signing up ;p (I kid... mostly ).

The steering really does get better with a bit of time for both the vehicle and the driver. After about 500-750 miles, we could definitely feel a difference in steering/handling. In particular, the "return to center" while no Rack & Pinion, is much quicker/smoother than when we drove off the lot. Takes a bit of time, in our experience to get used to long sweeping corners.
This may be a bit stressful especially when sandwiched between multiple semis and the outer lane is doing +20MPH , when already at 75-80mph and posted is 65. Still not nearly as bad as a early 60s VW Microbus at just "highway" speeds (55-65), when your grip (9 and 3) is going swinging a good 2 hours ( ie, 1-5 and 7 - 11) just to keep it straight.
Driving The Muppets GIF

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
It had a first service around 8500 miles, as I knew I would be in France at the 12,000 mile point. The dealer did the work.

Until they release the technical manual, passing it to someone else or DIYing it is a bit problematic. Still, we should have wider release of the electronic manual Q1 2024, unless it has been delayed.
Last week I was told Q3 2024.
There's a get together of 'owners' at a local dealership soon with the Australian head of Ineos. I was told the release of a tech manual is on his list of things to tell us about...

"...they also serve who simply sit and wait.." 🤷‍♂️ (apparently!)

Back
Top Bottom