The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Local Forum / Club Chapters / Divisions and "The Global Grenadiers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:51 PM
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with you. Especially technical topics, travel reports, conversions and so on are independent of the individual countries and regions.
That's why it's important to structure the topics well! And yes, I also believe that it is easier to herd a bag of fleas.

Nevertheless, I think it makes sense to bundle certain topics by country. For example, information on registration, insurance, tax law, official regulations....

I think this will help us to keep a better overview in this plethora of topics.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
i also like the general discussion, we are all interested in a problem with the transfer case or the shock absorber. the only sense in local boards is e.g. an approval for a specific tyre/winch/cow catcher.....or something like that in a specific country as there are differences from country to country

Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
Firstly I want to say how impressed I am by the enthusiasm for the forum by the members, never would I had thought that the level of participation demonstrated would be so consistent and passionate, and the facts, figures and tid bits that have been found out, dredged and scraped off the internet just beggars belief, a big shout out to @DCPU and @emax to name but 2.

Secondly after being poked with a pointy stick by the peeps in WA (thats Western Australia for your abbreviations wiki @Jean Mercier) and being thoroughly told to get a move on by @Krabby we're rolling out the local divisions as the INEOS forum develops into a more substantive entity.

With a more decentralized slant on things, the divisions will I'm sure eventually entail meetups with very localized online content and conversation, and hopefully becoming much more than a virtual experience. Pretty soon, unless you're in North America, we're going to be relaxing to the sound of exhausts plinking as they cool and beers flowing after a long day on the trail, bush or green lane, and thats just an epic stage to be in from the original idea of 'Projekt Grenadier'

Anyway back to the nuts and bolts of things here, specifically with the local divisions.

For clarity we keep to INEOS' identified target markets. For instance Australasia will be one complete sub forum thats broken down into various sub forums as required. The same would be for North America, Europe etc. This would be as an on demand feature, if enough people want a sub forum concerning the Benelux countries, Lower Saxony or the Isle of Man then we can do that.
However, if there is a local division established then there must be a local moderator prepared to take care of the day to day running of their individual division. I'm already being complained at for not jumping on things quick enough and pretty soon several hundred new posts a day for the local divisions are going to swamp the scant resources even further.
@Nocrays has kindly put himself forward for the WA division and @Krabby has for the USA NE division. I'm sure there are members in the UK, South Africa and Germany for starters that want their own space so please reply to this thread and get involved. If for some reason the local division seems abandoned by its moderator and or members then it will be reabsorbed back into the parent forum to keep things 'live' so to speak and to avoid zombie sub forums.
One thing that needs to be hashed out is the 'membership' of the local divisions. This will probably be on a request basis to post but will be available to be read by all members. Any commentary on this would be greatly appreciated.

Onto branding

After working for some time with @Krabby we have come up with a series of logos for 'The Global Grenadiers' and greater local areas, again these are split up into the INEOS regions of North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australasia, should there be a demand for a more local emblem for the specific individual divisions then this is something that we can look into, but that will be a little later down the line.

I'm hoping that most of these features will be live by the end of the week and the framework for the divisions will be ready to go.

There are several other exciting things the pipeline so stand by for those.

Stu.

Please comment with your suggestions, objections and commentary, I expect at least 4 jokes @DaveB ;)

Here is the vote, 35 in total, after three days:

North America: 7 YES, 1 NO, 1 N/A
EU & UK: 3 YES, 7 NO, 5 N/A
Australia: 5 YES, 2 NO, 4 N/A
ROW: 1 YES, 1 NO

N/A = not applicable - undecided or unclear statement
ROW = rest of world = location unknown

Interesting, the more so, if you put the figures in relation to each other and play around with the undecided, staistically

A clear divide across the world in this tiny poll. Hopefully not representative.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As a person slated to moderate a US chunk, my belief is that the local section should only pertain to regional things, and everything else is for the good for us all. That said, I don’t expect everyone to be interested in local get togethers, local service centers, dealers, etc, insurance companies and rates, or anything else super specific to where we’re located. I know I’m not interested in UK commercial N ratings, or EU lighting regulations, no more than I expect others to want to comb through threads about New Jersey’s new “boom car” law. But I am interested in how @emax is going to set up his inverter and that knowledge should benefit us all.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As a person slated to moderate a US chunk, my belief is that the local section should only pertain to regional things, and everything else is for the good for us all. That said, I don’t expect everyone to be interested in local get togethers, local service centers, dealers, etc, insurance companies and rates, or anything else super specific to where we’re located. I know I’m not interested in UK commercial N ratings, or EU lighting regulations, no more than I expect others to want to comb through threads about New Jersey’s new “boom car” law. But I am interested in how @emax is going to set up his inverter and that knowledge should benefit us all.
Absolutely! Exactly what I said. (y)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:51 PM
Reaction score
Pretty much as @Krabby said.

Local area meetups, the cafe that you prefer to stop at when doing a particular trail or a conversation about the cheapest fuel in a particular town are very specific and localized.

Anything that is of general interest or Grenadier or INEOS specific then the local moderators punt down the road to the main discussion forums.

Bottom line is the local groups are either available here where the content can be indexed and referenced easily by everyone registered or it will drift to Facebook or elsewhere.

Trip reports, trail reports (videos, pictures etc) will be kept in the main discussion areas which over time will develop into their own reference library essentially. Likewise the very localized information generated will be of particular interest to those that are intending to take their vehicle internationally, at least thats how I see it.

As the vehicles come into the public domain many of the current but sparse discussion forums will start taking more of a front seat and some of the currently active forums will be combined. Particularly after the release of press reviews etc. The technical reference and discussion forums will after time be the most valuable resource for most of the owners here. Speaking from experience with Land Rover and Lotus, those tech forums have saved me countless times.

Behemoth, perhaps, but everything has a place if done correctly. Cross exchange of information is vital.

Sorry for the ramble.

Stu.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:51 PM
Reaction score

The technical reference and discussion forums will after time be the most valuable resource for most of the owners here. Speaking from experience with Land Rover and Lotus, those tech forums have saved me countless times.

Behemoth, perhaps, but everything has a place if done correctly. Cross exchange of information is vital.

Sorry for the ramble.

Stu.

That's all very laudable, but how about starting as you mean to continue and moderate the technical forums now?

Who wants to wade through pages of off topic content and who wants to create and add the content when it's ruined by deliberate fuckwittery?

Undeleted, maintaining the narrative

Last edited by a moderator:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well I guess I'll just sit in the cheap seats and throw popcorn...not sure how your technical sections are going to help anyone when there're full of off topic conversations about beer, house buying and cooking recipes.*

It won't encourage me to post.

*which all have their place ~ on a separate section.

Last edited:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
lets keep this on topic please @DCPU if you have a personal complaint or conversation you wish to have then please email me, I'm sure very few want to wade through pages of off topic content when they want to create, contribute and empower the group when it's ruined by deliberate fuckwittery.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well there's real irony there ~ report off topic content on technical threads and it's in your words "riffing".

Talk about a topic in the relevant section - making technical threads work - and it's off topic...

Local time
Reaction score
Oh ok Karen. 🤣
The Grenadier pub that the vehicle was named after would have presumably been a member of the Grenadier Guards, the most senior Regiment of the Brigade of Guards who are part of the Household Division that includes the Household Cavalry (Life Guards and Blues and Royals when I was in the army).

So it would be logical in naming terms to go down from the Grenadier (Guards) Regiment rather than include irrelevant names such as Coldstream, Scots, Irish and Welsh (Guards). Next step down is Battalion, perhaps for countries, then Company (three or four rifle companies plus minus Support Company and Headquarter company) so geographical areas perhaps to be named Companies. Then Platoons, twelve rifle companies in a battalion, each platoon consisting of three sections. Plus HQ and Support Company.

So naming below Battalion is up to others. Is UK/GB a Battalion with England Company, Wales Company, Scots Company and Northern Ireland Company or are we each different battalions? Probably not for the English to comment (I’m 3/4 English, 1/4 Welsh, My wife 1/2 English, 1/2 Scottish).

When I left the army my children were very young. Later, one son said “Daddy, when you were in the army did you kill anyone” I replied:“ I hope not, I was the Regimental Medical Officer (Doctor)”!

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score

Local area meetups, the cafe that you prefer to stop at when doing a particular trail or a conversation about the cheapest fuel in a particular town are very specific and localized.

Anything that is of general interest or Grenadier or INEOS specific then the local moderators punt down the road to the main discussion forums.

Bottom line is the local groups are either available here where the content can be indexed and referenced easily by everyone registered or it will drift to Facebook or elsewhere.

Trip reports, trail reports (videos, pictures etc) will be kept in the main discussion areas which over time will develop into their own reference library essentially. Likewise the very localized information generated will be of particular interest to those that are intending to take their vehicle internationally, at least thats how I see it.

As the vehicles come into the public domain many of the current but sparse discussion forums will start taking more of a front seat and some of the currently active forums will be combined. Particularly after the release of press reviews etc. The technical reference and discussion forums will after time be the most valuable resource for most of the owners here. Speaking from experience with Land Rover and Lotus, those tech forums have saved me countless times.

Sorry for the ramble.

Stu.
Well said.

I think ppl are missing the point. Everything will be available on the forum just in an organised fashion.

I’m assuming the “what’s new” thread will pick up all posts regardless of where they are stored.

It’s better that everyone is posting in this forum rather than splinter groups heading for Facebook🤔

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the feedback everybody that has contributed to this thread, its been insightful.

I'll be reaching out to the brave souls that put themselves forward to help moderate.

Stu.
Hello Stu. and "brave souls". Thank you for your work. I really appreciate it. It won't be an easy task, but I hope that each of us will discipline ourselves and attribute and label contributions as correctly as possible. That's the only way we'll have a chance of finding what we're looking for via the search function.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Hello Stu. and "brave souls". Thank you for your work. I really appreciate it. It won't be an easy task, but I hope that each of us will discipline ourselves and attribute and label contributions as correctly as possible. That's the only way we'll have a chance of finding what we're looking for via the search function.
Hi @rovie the indexing is automatically done, and the search function is pretty robust, keywords do help though. Tags are great for photographs as well to help with cross referencing, even a photograph description helps a lot for when it comes time to do a search.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @rovie the indexing is automatically done, and the search function is pretty robust, keywords do help though. Tags are great for photographs as well to help with cross referencing, even a photograph description helps a lot for when it comes time to do a search.
Hello Stu. Excellent work. I appreciate this very much. Now that we are about to deliver the IG, we will soon get an amount of topics. That means: keep track! When we consider where we have come from, it is quite an achievement to date. Thank you for your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom