The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Littelfuse FHZ busbars used in the Grenadier

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
BACKGROUND
The post is in two parts. Part 1 talks about the Littelfuse busbars in general terms. Part 2 does a deep dive into how INEOS has used the busbars in a 2023 AU Spec Trialmaster fitted with the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel option and front winch.

PART 1 - LITTELFUSE BUSBARS OVERVIEW
Information about the 7 stud (main battery) and 5 stud (aux battery) busbars used in the INEOS is spread all over the forum. I will centralise a summary here. Feel free to add your own information.

All IG models have the 7 stud busbar. Models with the aux power option also have a 5 stud version. The busbars look like this (the first image has no fuses installed):

1280_6I8G6qq62WD7.jpg1280_QmzjyJtFXF91.jpg

DETAILED INSTRUCTION MANUAL FROM LITTELFUSE ON THE FHZ
Littelfuse Manuals can be found here, here and especially here. The third link is to the very informative instruction sheet.

In summary some of the main features are: Max Main Input of the busbar is 400 amps. Maximum amps 600 amps, but only 400 amps continuous. Available fuses are 40 to 600 amps, but maximum fuse rating used by the Grenadier is 350 amps.

LITTELFUSE FHZ SPECS.png

STUDS USED IN FHZ HOLDER
The FHZ busbars can have an M6, M8 or M10 stud in a slot.

A busbar can have only one size stud or all three (M6, M8 and M10) at the same time. The stud size used depends on the rated circuit needed. You must check what studs are used in any busbar fitted to your Grenadier.

TORQUES SETTINGS FOR FHZ STUDS
Screenshot 2023-09-15 05.14.32.png
Tip:
I would torque to the specific figure given, and then the range helps cover any variation in the accuracy of your torque wrench. For example, 14Nm for the M8 stud.

SOURCE OF FHZ BUSBARS
Australia
If you wish to buy a spare 5 stud FHZ busbar for remote travel, you can buy them from Swe-Check here. It only comes with M8 studs in the spare slots.

Europe
Try Mouser here, you need to searc more you go to that link. Mouser also has M6 studs, but not M8 or M10 studs for sale (Source @Tinki here.)

Other countries
Start your search here.

MOUNTING HOLES ON THE FHZ FUSE HOLDER
The mounting holes on the four corners of the FHZ busbar are for M8 bolts (Source: Point 3 on page 2 of the FHZ Instruction Sheet.

ZCASE MEGA FUSES USED IN FHZ BUSBAR
The FHZ busbars use a fuse known as a ZCASE MEGA fuse, or MEGA ZCASE fuse or even sometimes called a battery fuse.

See the fuse thread for a further discussion of ZCASE MEGA fuses.

SOURCE OF ZCASE MAGE FUSES
Australia
Australian owners can buy ZCASE MEGA fuses from Swe-Check here. You need to select the fuse rating for a given circuit by looking at what is in your INEOS. ZCASE MEGA fuses are expensive.

Europe
Try Mouser here.

Other countries
Start your search here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-14 10.34.34.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-14 10.34.34.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
PART 2- HOW INEOS USES THE LITTELFUSE BUSBARS IN THE GRENADIER

BACKGROUND

The busbar covers have been removed to take the images. The covers were put back in place after the images were taken.

The Images are from a 2023 AU Spec Trialmaster Diesel, with the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel option and front winch fitted. I have seen enough images to know the precise configuration in the busbars can vary.

Tip: always check your own vehicle. If in doubt, speak to the dealer or your auto electrician. None of the information has been verified by INEOS. I am not aware of any technical data INEOS has been released on the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel option.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 STUD BUSBAR AU Dx.jpg

7 STUD BUSBAR*
From left (1) to right (7) the amp ratings of the ZCASE® MEGA fuses are:
  1. Feed in from main battery, SHUNT used no fuse. Black tape;
  2. 125 amp for the Power Distribution Module – Yellow tape (RD/GN Wire);
  3. 150 amp for the Interior Electrical Centre – Blue tape (RD Wire);
  4. Spare, 60 amp fuse supplied with stud (for the INEOS optional 400w inverter, in US Spec models with an inverter this stud should NOT be spare);
  5. 100 amp for the Under Hood Electrical Centre – Green tape (RD/VT Wire);
  6. 125 amp for the Cockpit Electrical Centre – White tape (RD/BU Wire); and
  7. SHUNT for the Pre fuse box accessories – Black fabric tape with white label (goes to stud 1 on the 5 Stud busbar).
The busbar normally uses a power input terminal, which is usually paired with a ZCASE® MEGA shunt for the input - see Littelfuse Installation Instructions here. There is SHUNT of Stud 1 (feed from Main Battery) and Stud 7 (feed to Stud 1 on the 5 Stud Busbar).

*Images from a 2023 AU Spec Trialmaster Diesel, with the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel option and front winch fitted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 STUD BUSBAR AU DxO.jpg

5 STUD BUSBAR*
From left (1) to right (5) the amp ratings of the ZCASE®MEGA fuses are:
  1. SHUNT power from the Pre fuse box interior (comes from Stud 7 on the 7 Stud busbar);
  2. 300 amp for the CTEK SMARTPASS120S and AUX air compressor (in AU spec);
  3. 350 amp for the Rear NATO plug Relay;
  4. 80 amp for the Fuse Box for the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel option; and
  5. Spare, no fuse or stud supplied.
The busbar normally uses a power input terminal, which is usually paired with a ZCASE® MEGA shunt for the input - see Littelfuse Installation Instructions here. Stud 1 is the shunt on the 5 Stud busbar (you can just read the word SHUNT above the lug).

*Images from a 2023 AU Spec Trialmaster Diesel, with the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel option and front winch fitted.

KNOWN ZCASE® MEGA FUSE RATINGS USED IN GRENADIER
The known ZCASE® MEGA ratings include: 80amps, 100 amps, 125 amps, 150 amps, 300 amps, 350 amps and 3 SHUNTS.

1707704933802.png

ZCASE® MEGA FUSES - SPARES
Because the busbars are sources of power for fuses boxes, owners should give thought to having spare ZCASE®fuses, perhaps 80 amp, 100 amp, 125 amp and 150 amps.

However, ZCASE® MEGA fuses are expensive to buy. If you only travel locally or regionally you may not need any spare fuses. For remote travelers you have little choice but to buy some spares, as the ZCASE® MEGA fuses are hard to source anywhere in Australia. Experience has shown the other fuse types in the Grenadier are also hard to source regionally or remotely. For me, spare fuses are a must have for remote travel. Ultimately each owner needs to make a decision best suited their own needs, I hope this post helps with that decision.

Last edited:

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
DRAFT ONLY

ZCASE MEGA FUSES USED IN FHZ BUSBAR

The FHZ busbars use a fuse known as a ZCASE MEGA fuse, or MEGA ZCASE fuse or even sometimes a battery fuse.

See the fuse thread for a further discussion of ZCASE MEGA fuses.

SOURCE OF ZCASE MAGE FUSES
Australia
Australian owners can buy ZCASE MEGA fuses from Swe-Check here. You need to select the fuse rating for a given circuit by looking at what is in your INEOS. ZCASE MEGA fuses are expensive.

Other countries
When posted.

mouser is the authorised dealer so they cover europe . they have the m6 studs but not the m8 or m10 available .

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
All IG models have the 5 stud busbar. Models with the aux power option also have a 7 stud version.

Not true:
FB_IMG_1665008348769.jpg
If I had to guess, I'd say all models have the 7 way fusebox and the 5 way box comes when you option the high load switch panel, as at a minimum I've seen it populated with an 80A which would correspond with the AFB power requirements and the 350A which runs to the rear NATO socket.

The 5 way is then further/alternatively populated if the auxiliary battery option is ticked and the Smartpass is plumbed in.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I bought a 5 stud version as a spare from Swe-Check. That way I can use parts if needed or replace the busbar on the main battery in an emergency.

The busbar is made well and has weight to it. The chances of it breaking are remote, but using it as spare parts is more likely. I will also need parts to add accessories onto the existing busbars.

It is being added to my remote spares kit.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
Yesterday I wanted to order some spare ZCase Mega fuses on the Mouser website.

But I have a doubt, I saw the name "Zcase MEGA/starter" in the data sheet, and the difference seems to be only the fixture, not the fuse itself.
But on the Mouser website they sell as well Zcase Mega fuses as Zcase Starter fuses. They seem completely identical but have different part numbers.

Anybody knows if they really are different? (@TheDocAUS ?)

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have combined the first post of this Thread into Parts 1 and 2. Part 1 talks about the Littelfuse busbars in general terms. Part 2 does a deep dive into how INEOS has used the busbars in a 2023 AU Spec Trialmaster fitted with the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel option and front winch.

This former post is now found in Part 2 here.

Last edited:

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
Good stuff Michael

Looking closely at your photos I think I can make out the tops of an S and T on the fuses in position 7 (7stud) and position 1 (5 stud). So consistent with being Shunts?

Cheers
Steve

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good stuff Michael

Looking closely at your photos I think I can make out the tops of an S and T on the fuses in position 7 (7stud) and position 1 (5 stud). So consistent with being Shunts?

Cheers
Steve
EDIT: You are correct, looking at the high resolution images they are the stunts. Great catch Steve. Post updated.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I added a ZCase fuse summary table, that is still draft, but is coming together.

Last edited:

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
EDIT: You are correct, looking at the high resolution images they are the stunts. Great catch Steve. Post updated.
ps I think you may have 3 and 5 the wrong way round on the 7 stud bar. 5 in the pic reads to me as a 100 amp fuse.

Cheers
Steve

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
ps I think you may have 3 and 5 the wrong way round on the 7 stud bar. 5 in the pic reads to me as a 100 amp fuse.

Cheers
Steve
I will check it later today. Off to the pool to swim.

EDIT: i still need to check this point, but have done some proofing and editing. A person who wishes to remain anonymous provided some schematics on the busbars and fuse box, and some of that information has been included. Thanks for the information.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
APPARENT POWER SOURCES FOR THE FUSE BOXES
In the schematics I was shown the power source for the interior fuse box, the under-bonnet fuse box and the aux power fuse box is given, but not the cockpit fuse box. Studs 2 and 6 on the 7 stud busbar are described as “Power Distribution Modules”, perhaps it is one of those. EDIT: information provided, the Cockpit fuse box is powered from Stud 6 on the 7 Stud busbar.

In the Fuse thread I have added this information.

APPARENT POWER SOURCE FOR INTERIOR ELECTRICAL CENTRE (FUSE BOX 1)
The power for the Interior Electrical Centre (Fuse Box 1) appears to come from Stud 5 on the 7 Stud busbar with a ZCASE®fuse rated at 150 amps marked with Green tape. See here.

APPARENT POWER SOURCE FOR THE HIGH LOAD AUXILIARY SWITCH PANEL (FUSE BOX 1B)
The power for the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel option (Fuse Box 1B) appears to come from Stud 4 on the 5 Stud busbar with a ZCASE® fuse rated at 80 amps. See here.

APPARENT POWER SOURCE FOR THE COCKPIT ELECTRICAL CENTRE (FUSE BOX 2)
The power for the Cockpit Electrical Centre (Fuse Box 2) appears to come from Stud 6 on the 7 Stud busbar with a ZCASE® MEGA fuse rated at 125 amps marked with White tape. See here.

APPARENT POWER SOURCE FOR UNDER-HOOD ELECTRICAL CENTRE (FUSE BOX 3)
The power for the Under-Hood Electrical Centre (Fuse Box 3) appears to come from Stud 5 on the 7 Stud busbar with a ZCASE® fuse rated at 100 amps marked with Blue tape. See here.

Next time I see the car I will try and follow the cables from the busbars to the some of the fuse boxes. I will start with Fuse Boxes 1 and 1B.

ZCASE® MEGA FUSES - SPARES
Because the busbars are apparently sources of power for fuses boxes, owners should give thought to having spare ZCASE®fuses, perhaps 80 amp, 100 amp, 125 amp and 150 amps. I will need to update the suggested fuse spares list in future. ZCASE®fuses are expensive to buy. If you only travel locally or regionally you may not need any spare fuses. For remote travelers you have little choice but to buy some spares, as the ZCASE® fuses are hard to source in Australia. Experience has shown the other fuses in the Grenadier are also hard to source regionally or remotely (similar fuses are used in a mate’s F350 and he just had this problem).

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DRAFT STATUS REMOVED
The draft status of the post has been removed. There is still more information to add, but it is in good shape. Thanks for all the help.

Some important information has been recently added, so reread the post if you haven’t in the last day or so.

I will add this information into the very first post in due course.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This thread was re-written into Part 1 and 2. at the top of the thread. Part 1 talks about the Littelfuse busbars in general terms. Part 2 does a deep dive into how INEOS has used the busbars in a 2023 AU Spec Trialmaster fitted with the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel option and front winch.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some matters were verified today and some edits made. So Part 2 is complete and should be correct. If you see an issue or mistake point it out.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:27 PM
Reaction score
Some matters were verified today and some edits made. So Part 2 is complete and should be correct. If you see an issue or mistake point it out.
HI TheDocAUS, Thanks for all your incredible work on this and all the other forum members who have also contributed. When Ineos has an issue I'll tell them to reach out to the forum. DaBull

Back
Top Bottom