The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Torque settings - various

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
Our oil drain plug is plastic and 8nm. If doing an oil change, you need a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_4706.jpg
    IMG_4706.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: PBD

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
CAUTION: Now in good shape but not perfect. If you are unsure speak to your mechanic or installer.

TORQUE SETTINGS

This post is a place to post torque settings for various parts of the INEOS Grenadier. I will add more as I find them, but feel free to post any settings you know.

You can convert Newton metres (Nm) to foot pounds and vice versa here.

WHEEL NUTS
Steel rims 180 Nm.

Alloy rims 160 Nm.

Spare tyre on back: TBC (but 120Nm has worked for me on other cars, but I check regularly when going remote).

View attachment 7826616

Source here. Thanks to @Steven Cook

The US Owner's Manual, on page 130, only gives one figure 160 Nm. Not 160Nm for alloy and 180Nm for steel rims.

WHEEL STUD SIZE AND THREAD
Wheel stud size and thread is M14x1.5 (Source here).

TERMINAL SCREWS/NUTS ON CTEK UNITS
Use a 5mm Allen Key on the terminal screws (nuts) and tighten to 8 Nm/71 lb-in of torque (see Figure 2 on page 6 of the CTEK Manual). Tightening by hand is not good enough, as the connector plates and cables will come loose.

The unit itself can be secured using M4 or ST4.2 screws or bolts, in each of the four corners. The screw or bolt is torqued to 2 Nm/18 lb-in (see Figure 1 on page 6 of the CTEK Manual).

View attachment 7826614

FUSES
Three factors seem to come into play when determining the torque settings; the fuse holder, the fuse type and the stud size (for MIDI and MEGA fuses). Read any instructions and follow any recommended torque settings if provided. Otherwise read on.

Z CASE FUSE NUTS ON 5 AND 7 STUD BUSBARS USED ON MAIN AND AUX BATTERY
Note:
the busbars used on the INEOS can have M6, M8 and M10 stud size. Both the 5 stud and 7 stud versions have a mixture of stud sizes, depending on the circuit rating. The higher the circuit rating the bigger the stud. You must work out the stud size and torque accordingly. The busbars can vary between models, so you need to look at each stud size before you torque them down.

In summary the torque settings are:
View attachment 7826877
M6 studs
No torque setting is given for the M6 studs in the busbar manual. However, the ZCASE MEGA fuse Manual gives a torque setting for M6 studs: 9.8Nm±1.4Nm or 8.4Nm to 11.2Nm.

View attachment 7826695

M8 studs
Studs that are M8 can be torqued to 14Nm±2Nm, or 12 to 16Nm. However, the ZCASE® FHZ Series busbar manual states that the M8 Mounting Torque is 12-15Nm (a slight variation). Both agree between 12 to 15Nm. FHZ manual here. Relevant extract here:

View attachment 7826635

Warning: these are the suggested torque settings for the Littelfuse busbars with M8 studs and Z Case fuses used in the INEOS Grenadier.

M10 studs
16Nm±2Nm or 14Nm to 18Nm for M10 studs. Source: Littelfuse FHZ Instruction Sheet here (page 2).

Additional information: the ZCASE MEGA Fuse manual states: “The fuse design is optimized for a one bolt connection M6 (40A - 250A) or M8 (300A - 600A) and can used directly on a battery post or busbar connection.” Suggesting you do not need any M10 stud even tough the busbar can be fitted with one.

Tip: the torque setting appropriate for fuses can depend on what fuse holder they are being installed into. First check the manual/instructions guide for any suggested torque settings for that fuse holder and fuse.
Hi, Does anyone know the following Tork size drivers & torque setting for the following fasteners.
The door hinges screws, which I believe are just tork and not Tork +.
The bracket screws holding on the aluminum grab bars up at the roof. I believe they are just tork and not Tork +.
The exterior airline utility rails. I believe they are Tork +.
DaBull

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone know the following Tork size drivers & torque setting for the following fasteners.
The bracket screws holding on the aluminum grab bars up at the roof. I believe they are just tork and not Tork +.
DaBull
If no one answers I get my car back tomorrow and I can help you then. I have posted the door hinge Torx size somewhere on the board. If I find it I will post the link. EDIT: Found it here.
My external facing door hinges are Torx T50 screws/bolts.
I do not think the US Spec car and AU Spec differs on that point. Tip: I saw some where they placed some plastic over the Torx head socket to minimise damage to the paint on the torx screw in the hinge.

The different heads
1713395312172.jpg
Source

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DaBull
Da Bull

1. Door hinge is a Torx T50 head;
2. Bracket screw on roof grab bar is Torx Plus 25;
3. Exterior utility belt bolt is a Torx T27.

The Security Torx bit T30 will also works (I think that is your Torx+).

I used 3 different Torx T30 sockets and they all fitted items 2 and 3. Two bits were from my WERA set (the T30 and the T30 security torx) and the other T50 was a no name brand from Taiwan.

Main kit I used to determine size was this:

81L77xBd++L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Da Bull

1. Door hinge is a Torx T50 head;
2. Bracket screw on roof grab bar is Torx TX30 (using WERA Torx head socket);
3. Exterior utility belt also uses a Torx TX30 (using WERA Torx head socket).

The Security Torx head T30 will also works (I think that is your Torx+).

I used 3 different Torx T30 sockets and they all fitted items 2 and 3. Two sockets were from my WERA set (the T30 and the T30 security torx) and the other T50 was a no name brand from Taiwan.

Main kit I used to determine size was this:

81L77xBd++L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Hi TheDocAUS,
Thanks for the torx bit sizes. I appreciate it.
I did some esearch on Torx Bits and it turns out there are 3 primary types.
T or TX, which is the original type invented in 1967.
T+, which is an improved version invented in 1990.
Both also come in a security type which has a hole in the end of the bit and a pin in the middle of the screw.
As the linked video explains, a T or TX bit will fit both types of screws, (T or TX and T+), however
a T+ bit will not fit a T or TX screw.
Here's a good video to explain the difference. DaBull
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U27j1ZvaWeU

Last edited:

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Any idea on torque settings for the utility belt?
Mine didn't come with it and I'm buying it as a part.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi TheDocAUS,
Thanks for the tork bit sizes. I appreciate it.
I did some esearch on Tork Bits and it turns out there are 3 primary types.
T or TX, which is the original type invented in 1967.
T+, which is an improved version invented in 1990.
Both also come in a security type which has a hole in the end of the bit and a pin in the middle of the screw.
As the linked video explains, a T or TX bit will fit both types of screws, (T or TX and T+), however
a T+ bit will not fit a T or TX screw.
Here's a good video to explain the difference. DaBull
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U27j1ZvaWeU
Based on that video my Torx head socket maybe going into a Torx Plus screw/bolt and it will not be that obvious. Looks like I need some Torx Plus bits and retest. Only them can I work out which is which.

Items 2 and 3 remain open.

EDIT: Torx Plus bits are not easy to get in Australia, had to source them out of the US.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Any idea on torque settings for the utility belt?
Mine didn't come with it and I'm buying it as a part.
I have not seen a torque setting for the utility belt. I try and add known Torque settings to the first post when I do. Keep looking.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update as the Torx Plus sockets arrived.

The Grab handle bolt is a Torx Plus 25. The door hinge bolt a Torx 50.

The utility belt bolt is still a mystery. The Torx 25 fits, bit it's loose and the Torx Plus 25 does not really fit (it gets stuck). I am thinking it might be a Torx 27, but I cannot find my Torx 27 bit. Pretty sure I have one, it must be in a smaller set of bits - not my main set. The search continues.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update as the Torx Plus sockets arrived.

The Grab handle bolt is a Torx Plus 25. The door hinge bolt a Torx 50.

The utility belt bolt is still a mystery. The Torx 25 fits, bit it's loose and the Torx Plus 25 does not really fit (it gets stuck). I am thinking it might be a Torx 27, but I cannot find my Torx 27 bit. Pretty sure I have one, it must be in a smaller set of bits - not my main set. The search continues.
Hi The DocAUD, Many thanks for the update. I just received my Torx + bits and am ready to go at it and have some fun!
Leitner Rack Install - Torx Plus 25 per @TheDocAUS
Buzz Overland Hinge Steps Install - Torx 50 per @TheDocAUS
Keep the info coming. I ready for more Fun! DaBull

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi The DocAUD, Many thanks for the update. I just received my Torx + bits and am ready to go at it and have some fun!
Leitner Rack Install - Torx Plus 25 per @TheDocAUS
Buzz Overland Hinge Steps Install - Torx 50 per @TheDocAUS
Keep the info coming. I ready for more Fun! DaBull
The best fit for the Utility Belt bolt was a WERA Torx T27 bit. I found the T27 bit to check.

I edited my post above to correct the sizes.

I started a new thread here on bolt head types. I added info you and I have been discussing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom