The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

LeTech: EXCITING!

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
Given how popular the ute format is in Oz, are any of our members holding off from buying the wagon? Are any of you planning to buy a wagon only to swap down the line?
I’ll swap out if they produce a single chassis Cab model as a base for a camper body .

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This definitely proves that Ineos has been providing vehicles for aftermarket development. My prediction is the Next big thing we will see is the AluCab conversion. I’ll be up to 150k in no time.
or a ex-tec version. German quality but big money. We travelled with some Austrians who had a beautiful defender 110 conversion done by ex-tec full kit out inside with pop top roof inc integral bed.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, excellent solution.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see a current image.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
emax thanks for the fantastic pictures. It was a great pleasure spending time with you under, in and around the Grenadier at Krah & Enders. Greetings to your wife. see you soon for further plans with the Granny and to test wild boar salami
Thank you, same for us. It was really a nice afternoon. (y)

And I'm curious how your wild boar salami will taste. :)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Thank you, same for us. It was really a nice afternoon. (y)

And I'm curious how your wild boar salami will taste. :)
I've had wild bear salami, but don't recall tasting boar. Wild boar hunting is a popular and dangerous activity in the Northern Territory of Australia.
None in Tasmania. And we don't allow Devil salami.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I didn't ever hunt boar (I'm not a hunter at all). But I guess it's dangerous everywhere.

They are completely humorless.

EDIT: Tazzie wrote 'bear', I've just seen. But it applies for bears as well. 😁

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:00 AM
Reaction score

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
Ineos are stretching the wheelbase by 300mm for he Ute and the long wheelbase version
View attachment 7799662
would be nice if they had a look at the LeTech G-wagen, to see the nice integration of the roll cage and roof rack!

Attachments

• 01_20230105_151331.JPG
    01_20230105_151331.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 03_20230105_151323.JPG
    03_20230105_151323.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 24

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
It’s the stretch I like.
I’d have given up a little bit of offroad ability for a longer chassis and 20cm extra space in the back.
There are significant advantages to a longer wheelbase station wagon: (1) more storage that is both dry and secure (and maybe a higher payload), (2) ability to carry longer items inside the vehicle (avoiding a roof rack that raises the center of gravity, and can be tiresome to access regularly), (3) greater stability when towing (and maybe higher towing max.), (4) greater stability driving on snowy/slippery roads, and (5) its easier to sleep in a larger vehicle for those late-night arrivals at trailheads - especially when engaging in an Alpine start the following morning (yeah, yeah, get a roof top tent). The disadvantages are related to size on road (especially true in Europe and in urban America, but not a problem in rural America), and size off road.

The main problem for the LWB station wagon off road, is that the increased wheelbase reduces breakover angle. In addition to this problem, the pickup truck will also suffer from reduced departure angle. Folks new to off roading can see the image below for a glossary of these terms:

Clearance_2.png

If the Long Wheel Base (LWB) version is engineered with forethought - in respect to the negative consequences of a longer wheelbase off road - then the owner (should he or she wish) can fairly easily mitigate most of the disadvantages. The way to resolve both issues (reduction to break over and departure angles) is to lift the suspension and add larger tires.

The current design of the Grenadier does not facilitate the addition of larger tires; here are the basic problems:

(1) The front control arms are short, so adding larger tires will negatively impact suspension geometry, degrading handling both on and off road. There are currently no long-arm kits for the Grenadier in the aftermarket (this may or may not change in the future).

(2) The wheel wells seem to accommodate a 35-inch tire (based on a few photos), but it also looks like there would be rubbing when the suspension is flexed (hard to know without hearing from the Ineos drivers who have tested these, or without vehicles in the hands of the public).

(3) Vehicles need to be re-geared after a significant increase in tire-size. Nothing is currently known about the availability of alternate gears for the Carraro axles.

(4) Due to the two-door design in the rear, it is not going to be easy to carry a spare larger than 33-inches. A spare tire larger than 33-inches will block the opening of the small door (which must be opened before one can open the larger door). Perhaps the aftermarket will develop a spare tire carrier that attaches to the rear bumper, but then access to the back will require three steps: (a) open the tire carrier, (b) open the small door, (c) open the large door. If there were a single rear door, it could be engineered to carry a heavy tire or it could be integrated with a spare tire carrier that is bumper-mounted, so that you only open one thing to access the back. Here is my photo of the clearance between the stock spare (about 32-inches) and the small rear door:

Grenadier_38_Spare_Tire.jpg

There are some short-comings in the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Gladiator pickup truck, but one thing that Jeep did really well, was recognize that people often move up in tire size. Here is how Jeep engineered the current version of the Wrangler (the JL, which was new in 2018) and the Gladiator with forethought - with regard to larger tires:

(1) The front control arms were lengthened between the previous (JK) and current (JL) versions of the Wrangler, and are also longer in the Gladiator.

(2) The wheel wells are huge, and can accommodate a 35-inch tire with no suspension lift; they accommodate a 37-inch tire with a 2-inch lift, and that lift is available from the factory.

(3) The axles in the Jeep are Dana axles, and there is a massive availability of both gears and differential lockers in the aftermarket for Dana axles. Even better, you can order an off-road package from the factory, that specs the vehicle with a 2-inch suspension lift, 35-inch tires, either 4.56 or 4.88 gears (your choice), and with a full-size spare. All under factory warranty.

(4) The Wrangler can carry a 37-inch spare on the back, and the aftermarket will sell you a tire carrier should you wish to carry a 40-inch tire (if that's your thing). The Gladiator can accommodate a 35-inch spare in the standard spare-location under the bed of the truck. You can get a bumper-mounted tire carrier for anything larger.

I understand that Ineos did not design the Grenadier to be a rock-crawler, and that running big tires was not their main goal. However, we have seen multiple Grenadiers being tested with 35-inch tires, so we know that 35s are on their radar. Ineos is making a vehicle that is superior to the Jeep products in many ways, but they should learn from what Jeep does well.

A LWB Grenadier, in station wagon form, with a suspension lift and 35-inch tires, would give up almost nothing off-road to a standard-length Grenadier running stock tires. We can have the benefits of a LWB wagon without giving up anything off road - if Ineos approaches the project with forethought, and engineers the vehicle in a way that "future-proofs" it for larger tires.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom