The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Leaking Safari Roof and Door Seals Flooding The Car And other Leaks and Problems

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone considered although the outer door seal maybe 100% stuck on (first thing to check). It maybe stuck in the wrong position and there maybe a tiny gap and not sealing against the door. I know this because both my outer doors seals on both sides aren’t the same and also an explanation as to why one door closes properly and the other door need to slam (I checked it’s not the latch or cabin pressure).

There are no markers points where to stick the rubbers on so it’s down to skill of the technicians who sticks them accurately in the correct position (maybe the lack of skill because they fall off). Why did they use adhesive? And not use some sort of clips or fixings?

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone considered although the outer door seal maybe 100% stuck on (first thing to check). It maybe stuck in the wrong position and there maybe a tiny gap and not sealing against the door. I know this because both my outer doors seals on both sides aren’t the same and also an explanation as to why one door closes properly and the other door need to slam (I checked it’s not the latch or cabin pressure).

There are no markers points where to stick the rubbers on so it’s down to skill of the technicians who sticks them accurately in the correct position (maybe the lack of skill because they fall off). Why did they use adhesive? And not use some sort of clips or fixings?
Looking at mine today, I agree. The rubber seal needs to contact the A pillar, the shape of the metal pressing means the seal needs to be in exactly the right place.

And stuck down of course.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score
Update May 13th from my Dealer.

They have spoken to the "INEOS USA field tech" who has "given me some direction". They advised they were "going to work on this today with my shop foreman".

End of day here so no further update. I echo some of the new comments about door seal placement etc. The acid test is can you spray water into the door shut and it not collect water?

I am worried that the Ineos field tech will cut a section of the lower seal out to allow it to drain, which is not a fix but a crude workaround to allow water to drain. This would not be a fix.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I actually looked at mine today, it has the notch in the bottom. I was surprised because they must be cutting this notch either at the factory or at the dealership as I have never had mine in for service.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
I actually looked at mine today, it has the notch in the bottom. I was surprised because they must be cutting this notch either at the factory or at the dealership as I have never had mine in for service.
It is at the factory from what I've heard

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Be careful using that as it may be hard to remove. Think voiding warranty.
I checked on the rubber caulking this afternoon and noticed that it was already peeling in the thinly applied sections.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update May 15th. Dealer emailed me to say new seals fitted. He even remarked there are NO CUTOUTS in them. The originals had the cutouts. They are waiting to test for pooling/gushing/waterfall. We have heavy rain forecast for tomorrow so 😁 No word yet on any Ineos "fix" but sure I will find out when I collect the car, assuming the problems are resolved.

No conversations on the dripping AC, but that will be the next thing to chase up on.

Fingers crossed 🤞

More as I find out.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update May 15th. Dealer emailed me to say new seals fitted. He even remarked there are NO CUTOUTS in them. The originals had the cutouts. They are waiting to test for pooling/gushing/waterfall. We have heavy rain forecast for tomorrow so 😁 No word yet on any Ineos "fix" but sure I will find out when I collect the car, assuming the problems are resolved.

No conversations on the dripping AC, but that will be the next thing to chase up on.

Fingers crossed 🤞

More as I find out.
Please update when you have some news on the dripping AC. Thanks!

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update May 17th 2024 - The Grenadier is back. Some photos for the Doctor Who fans!

The service director and the foreman (assuming chief tech) took a great deal of time to install the new door seals from Ineos.

NOTE: Ineos provide ZERO HELP and seem to suck. Either they are overwhelmed or they just don't care. Jury is out which it is. Dealer gave up waiting and decided to have a go.

The new door seals have NO NOTCHES cut in them from the factory. It seems, and I have to wait for more rain to be an adhesion and alignment issue that is causing the pooling in the door jam/shut and ingress into the floor well.

Service director says they left it under a waterfall to simulate rain, and they left it out in the heavy rain we had yesterday. No water ingress or pooling/gushing foot washing noted by them.

I did note that when I got the car back the drain plugs were out, the drivers side had wetness under the mat. I refitted these myself. I'd driven it home and found the drain plugs in the back seat with my rubber floor mats. Hadn't driven it for so long I didn't even notice the mats were not in the footwells.

I will update once we have the next spring storms. Won't be long, it's Texas!

No modification to the gutter trims so the water still flows as before into the door jam/shut via the A pillar, but the assumption is if the seals do what they should and seal, then it won't get into the car or pool up between the seals. Still think that needs addressing by "WE DON'T CARE INEOS". Jim Ratcliffe never responded to Tweets or DMs so guess he's too busy being rich to care and doesn't have a PA who bothers to bring things to his notice. Very disappointing given the story we followed that led us to buy a Grenadier.

Attachments

• IMG_2885.jpg
    IMG_2885.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2886.jpg
    IMG_2886.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2887.jpg
    IMG_2887.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2888.jpg
    IMG_2888.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hoping that's the proper fix. Speaking of Daleks, doesn't the top of the Town East Mall in Mesquite look like one?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update May 17th 2024 - The Grenadier is back. Some photos for the Doctor Who fans!

The service director and the foreman (assuming chief tech) took a great deal of time to install the new door seals from Ineos.

NOTE: Ineos provide ZERO HELP and seem to suck. Either they are overwhelmed or they just don't care. Jury is out which it is. Dealer gave up waiting and decided to have a go.

The new door seals have NO NOTCHES cut in them from the factory. It seems, and I have to wait for more rain to be an adhesion and alignment issue that is causing the pooling in the door jam/shut and ingress into the floor well.

Service director says they left it under a waterfall to simulate rain, and they left it out in the heavy rain we had yesterday. No water ingress or pooling/gushing foot washing noted by them.

I did note that when I got the car back the drain plugs were out, the drivers side had wetness under the mat. I refitted these myself. I'd driven it home and found the drain plugs in the back seat with my rubber floor mats. Hadn't driven it for so long I didn't even notice the mats were not in the footwells.

I will update once we have the next spring storms. Won't be long, it's Texas!

No modification to the gutter trims so the water still flows as before into the door jam/shut via the A pillar, but the assumption is if the seals do what they should and seal, then it won't get into the car or pool up between the seals. Still think that needs addressing by "WE DON'T CARE INEOS". Jim Ratcliffe never responded to Tweets or DMs so guess he's too busy being rich to care and doesn't have a PA who bothers to bring things to his notice. Very disappointing given the story we followed that led us to buy a Grenadier.
Hey @Stu_Barnes - check out that shovel!!!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just to clarify, they provided no help on which aspect?

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just to clarify, they provided no help on which aspect?
On any aspect, but in this context they did not support the dealer in anyway on the door seal solution. The dealer got fed up of waiting and proceeded with their approach as I detailed. They decided to see if they would work it out.

As far as the AC issue a case has been opened. No Ineos support has been offered on that issue either.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As far as the AC issue a case has been opened. No Ineos support has been offered on that issue either.
Stu posted the TSB about that earlier (assuming we are talking about the same thing), which means the dealer has already had access to that for a corrective action

Back
Top Bottom