The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Leaking Safari Roof and Door Seals Flooding The Car And other Leaks and Problems

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
Ok. It is def a design flaw. I pulled the rubber corner piece off the (US) drivers side. First pic you can see built in diverted that look like their job is to push water towards the front windshield/screen. I removed the diverters as I noticed there was also some billed through of rubber which was also removed. Not sure it’s going to work but if it is the solution it’s an easy fix.
more better pics

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpeg
    IMG_0188.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0187.jpeg
    IMG_0187.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0186.jpeg
    IMG_0186.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok. It is def a design flaw. I pulled the rubber corner piece off the (US) drivers side. First pic you can see built in diverted that look like their job is to push water towards the front windshield/screen. I removed the diverters as I noticed there was also some billed through of rubber which was also removed. Not sure it’s going to work but if it is the solution it’s an easy fix.
I am going to go look now!

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
Appreciate the videos and the photos here. But regardless of whether that rubber gutter trim is working properly or not to divert water toward the windshield, it's my opinion that water coming down the A-pillar should not make its way into the cabin. That in itself is a design flaw imo. In any vehicle, turning on a hose down the A-pillar should not result in water entering the cabin or collect in the door no? Or is it me?

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Also, when you drive in the midst of a rainstorm, doesn't all the rain get pushed by the wind into the A-pillar anyway? This is a dynamic, moving vehicle, not a static structure like a house right?

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Nordic, can you also consider parking the car with the nose tilted downward to see if you have any water ingress in the storm? You might be able to learn something from that because I could not help but notice how my dealership had all pre-delivery Grenadiers parked on a hill nose-down at their lot.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree, but I think these areas of the gaskets (because of their limitations) are impacted by water piling up at a stop. It fills the areas and then the doors are opened and the water dumps. I added some silicone caulk as well. My calling skills suck but I think this will work.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpeg
    IMG_0191.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Also, when you drive in the midst of a rainstorm, doesn't all the rain get pushed by the wind into the A-pillar anyway? This is a dynamic, moving vehicle, not a static structure like a house right?
When I tested this the water was flung to the rear and little if any got into the door shut area unless stationary for a period of time. Wind and velocity forced the water rewards and in insufficient quantities to deluge the door.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Appreciate the videos and the photos here. But regardless of whether that rubber gutter trim is working properly or not to divert water toward the windshield, it's my opinion that water coming down the A-pillar should not make its way into the cabin. That in itself is a design flaw imo. In any vehicle, turning on a hose down the A-pillar should not result in water entering the cabin or collect in the door no? Or is it me?
100% correct. Which has been my main argument to the dealer and Ineos.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can do that. And you mean the dealer knew about this and found a way to hide it from buyers? Nooooooo, tell me it ain't so 😉

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree, but I think these areas of the gaskets (because of their limitations) are impacted by water piling up at a stop. It fills the areas and then the doors are opened and the water dumps. I added some silicone caulk as well. My calling skills suck but I think this will work.
The good news is caulk pulls off once the experiment proves a cure. However, it might be a temporary workaround until Ineos fix the problem properly.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_2808.jpg
    IMG_2808.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2807.jpg
    IMG_2807.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2806.jpg
    IMG_2806.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2805.jpg
    IMG_2805.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nordic if you try it, I got the window and door caulk at Home Depot. GE makes it. Totally waterproof. Mine is drying at my shop right now. I’ll keep you all posted. My next attack is the drain holes under the safari windows. I leak there also.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Nordic if you try it, I got the window and door caulk at Home Depot. GE makes it. Totally waterproof. Mine is drying at my shop right now. I’ll keep you all posted. My next attack is the drain holes under the safari windows. I leak there also.
The fix for the safari windows is "the dealer glued them". No seal replaced, just adhesive applied. It's on their worksheet I signed. So, you're in the right direction. Once you test the theory then I would go to the dealer and look at them in a stern way, and say "ok folks how you gonna do this properly for me"?

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I ripped out the first diverter with needle nose pliers and then shortened the second one 50%.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I only experience any deluge when the car sits overnight in a rain storm. When driving I am dry as a bone at the doors and the safari windows.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here is the final video in this series. This was taken late PM on May 12th after the rain had all but stopped. As you will hear me narrate the water collected and gushed in the passenger side between the seals, and at last can demonstrate clearly that the water in the footwell is spilling over the door seals, under the kick trim, and into the footwell.

The driver's side that has failed door seals (drooping) the water did not collect but the flow into the same location between the seals is evidenced.

Click here for the video.

Last edited:

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:17 PM
Reaction score
Nordic, can you also consider parking the car with the nose tilted downward to see if you have any water ingress in the storm? You might be able to learn something from that because I could not help but notice how my dealership had all pre-delivery Grenadiers parked on a hill nose-down at their lot.
I mentioned earlier in this thread that parking “nose down” eliminated the issue for me.
Also, I removed my gutter ends and definitely felt there was an issue here, despite the “made in Germany” quality support 😆
Not a big storm though and I agree that there are at least two design flaws here…
1. the rubber gutter end
2. the inability of the seal to keep water out
Great work here by all involved 😁👍🏼

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
It only happened a couple of times to me right at the start of owning it 6 months ago.
It has been parked out in the open in torrential storms and days long drizzle with absolutely no leaks anywhere.
Maybe the issue was resolved with dust turning to mud and sealing the problem.
Another reason I don't wash the vehicle.
1715553472313.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom