The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Largest Functional Tire Without Mods

Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=NoGaBiker userid=8980684 postid=1332809883]Several thoughts on some of the above comments:

An Ineos bracket would presumably lift and rotate the spare to the right.

[/QUOTE] Yup that's gotta be the situation, which is a bit more complex of a weld job to keep is strong, validating a higher cost. But as you say, if that's all that's keeping you from hanging a 34 or 35, so be it.  Thank you so much for sharing those tire options. I should consider myself blessed to be in the U.S. and NOT be able to buy this for an additional year so everyone else can figure pre-mod tire limitations, post-mod tire limitations, and give time for the aftermarket sector to provide their offerings. 

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=emax userid=8900646 postid=1332812600]Looks great! ?

However, I want a tire which
- is noiseless
- comfortable
…..[/QUOTE]

Want that too. There is no such a tire, they are all compromises like the KO2 on my Defender. That is why I choose the Bridgestone this time.

Local time
Reaction score
^^ Well, you chose to quote “noiseless and comfortable as being impossible to achieve;” actually, there are plenty of tires that are those two things. In fact, they tend to go hand in hand. But he had a whole list of other qualities that specifically work against quiet and comfort, i.e. “good in mud” and “robust.” The sidewalls have to be stout for it to be robust, and that means less flex and that means more uncomfortable. The tread has to clear mud well to be good in mud and that means aggressive knobs and that means some noise. On, and he wants all those qualities and “cheap.” ?

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I Just did not want to make a full quote, my post says nothing about the other categories being unimportant.
It is all a compromise as I wrote, but the KO2 are the wrong compromise for me, so I decided for the Bridgestone this time. I had Cooper, Michelin, Toyo and others before on my Landy, some were better some worse. But all these are not offered so I just voted for a new unknown tire. Maybe it is the wrong choice in the end, but I am  pretty sure about the KO2 being wrong for me. If the Bridgestone Dueler are horrible I have to buy new tires, but what I read about them this does not seem to become probably.

Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=blueTdi userid=8917020 postid=1332816464]I Just did not want to make a full quote, my post says nothing about the other categories being unimportant. [/QUOTE]

Quoting two out of a short list of 7 makes the absence of the other ones conspicuous so naturally I assumed you specifically meant those two. Thank you for clearing up the confusion.[QUOTE username=blueTdi userid=8917020 postid=1332816464]
It is all a compromise as I wrote, but the KO2 are the wrong compromise for me, so I decided for the Bridgestone this time. I had Cooper, Michelin, Toyo and others before on my Landy, some were better some worse. But all these are not offered so I just voted for a new unknown tire. Maybe it is the wrong choice in the end, but I am  pretty sure about the KO2 being wrong for me. If the Bridgestone Dueler are horrible I have to buy new tires, but what I read about them this does not seem to become probably.[/QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly about the KO2 -- had one set in 315/70-17 on a Jeep and they were my least favorite tire out of 5 sets I had. I opted for the Cooper Discoverer RT on my L664 Landy and I like them very much. But... I have a set of 18" offroad wheels and tires (the Coopers) and I run my OEM Goodyear Wrangler Adventures (20") for 90% of my use, which is on road. I only mount the Coopers when I'm going for a serious off-road excursion. They are louder than the Goodyears (as expected) but not at all unacceptable. I find them to be the perfect compromise for my use, but if I couldn't have two sets of wheels/tires, I'd have an AT rather than an RT, at least on a new Defender, which is quiet and refined. On an older Defender or a Jeep or Bronco or Toyota Pickup or 4Runner Id opt for RTs because the trucks themselves are so (relatively) rough and noisy that a quieter tire isn't worth nearly as much as it is on a new LR/RR.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, you are right, should have made a full quote this time.

I want an AT tire because I have to drive mostly on highways the next years, the Bridgestone Dueler will save diesel and will be quiet from what I read. Then an AT is enough also to go the last mile to our weekend house most of the time. For if it is getting really bad I ordered difflocks. And if get stuck I call the neighbour with his big tractor.

In winter I have to put on snow chains anyway. Serious offroading will happen as often as Christmas or Easter, I am too old for these adventures.

Local time
1:49 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=NoGaBiker userid=8980684 postid=1332816855]

Quoting two out of a short list of 7 makes the absence of the other ones conspicuous so naturally I assumed you specifically meant those two. Thank you for clearing up the confusion.  [/QUOTE][QUOTE username=NoGaBiker userid=8980684 postid=1332816855]

I agree wholeheartedly about the KO2 -- had one set in 315/70-17 on a Jeep and they were my least favorite tire out of 5 sets I had. I opted for the Cooper Discoverer RT on my L664 Landy and I like them very much. But... I have a set of 18" offroad wheels and tires (the Coopers) and I run my OEM Goodyear Wrangler Adventures (20") for 90% of my use, which is on road. I only mount the Coopers when I'm going for a serious off-road excursion. They are louder than the Goodyears (as expected) but not at all unacceptable. I find them to be the perfect compromise for my use, but if I couldn't have two sets of wheels/tires, I'd have an AT rather than an RT, at least on a new Defender, which is quiet and refined. On an older Defender or a Jeep or Bronco or Toyota Pickup or 4Runner Id opt for RTs because the trucks themselves are so (relatively) rough and noisy that a quieter tire isn't worth nearly as much as it is on a new LR/RR.[/QUOTE]

If I lived in a warm climate, I would probably take your approach, and run two sets of 'summer' tires - one for on-road use, and one specifically for off-road use. However, most people will not fall into this category. But if you are running two sets of 'summer' tires, then the choice of tires really becomes quite simple: buy a good set of on-road tires, and a good set of off-road tires. The challenge for people running one set of tires is finding a good compromise tire. How an individual uses their vehicle and how they prioritize their needs will shape this decision, and the best option will vary from person to person.

Winters are long here at 8,500 feet in the Rockies, so we run two sets of tires on all our vehicles: Nokian Hakkapeliitta for the winter, and BFG KO2s in the summer. Since we rarely find ourselves in deep mud, I have yet to find a better all-around overland tire than the BFG KO2. 

(1) It has a higher speed rating than most other tires in its class
(2) It is quiet on the highway, and handles well in the corners with its stout sidewall (we run the E-rated version)
(3) It is great at speed on dirt, gravel, and desert roads
(4) It is really good in the rocks, and provides all the traction we require for the rock-crawling we do (we don't go out looking to rock-crawl for 'sport' - i.e. we are not looking to do the hardest rock-climbs we can find). I've had punctured and slashed sidewalls with other tires, but - knock on wood - not with KO2s.
(5) Its great for our use in the sand (we tend to find ourselves on flattish sand, we are not looking to climb dunes)
(6) It is winter-rated, so it provides a little peace of mind if we miscalculate the timing of switching from summer to winter tires

Only negative in my experience: the KO2 is not a good mud tire

Like I said, everyone has different needs and intended uses for their vehicle, and this will be reflected in tire choice.

Check out this review if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4dTv_jJyLs

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I assume, you guys have seen the irony.

Of course I "want" such a tire, everybody does. But I do of course know, that one point contradicts another.

I just summarized the common marketing slogans. ;-)

Local time
Reaction score
I would be waiting to see if the aftermarket will support it with various crown wheel and pinion gearing options. I queried this at the Brisbane 4x4 show with the ineos staff and there is no plans for factory ratio variants. Does any one know if the diffs are bespoke or compatible with other options already out there in the market?

always been the best thing I’ve done modifying the gearing to suit my larger tyre size to bring it back to factory or as close as possible. Acceleration, low range gearing and economy are vastly improved once done bringing back the fun and satisfaction factor. INeos have spent all this time maximising performance would hate to see it turn into a dog because of our quest for better off-road ability as enthusiasts if the aftermarket doesn’t get behind it.

Local time
Reaction score
^^ Agree completely. After fitting larger 34” tires to my Jeep (32s were standard) I drove it a couple weeks before getting around to my planned re-gearing from 3.73 diffs to 4.56. While certainly still driveable with the stock gearing, the regear made for a vastly improved experience. Once I fitted 35s the regear was almost necessary, not a luxury. And with my 37” off-road-only tires even 4.56s were sluggish and I would have benefitted from 5.13s, but wouldn’t have wanted that for my road-going 35s.

Local time
Reaction score
I think I had posted these tires in a another discussion somewhere but forget when or where.  Weve had cooper at3 and stt pros, KO, KO2, geolanders and various winter ice/snow tires.  Have recently put nokian outpost ATs on my wife’s Subaru wilderness as a mostly on road vehicle, and have been very very impressed with them. Quiet, smooth, rolls easily, good high speed manners, and have exceeded expectations for traction and mud clearance. Also far less expensive than the above options. I will probably replace the KO2s on the grenadier with them.
Another option to consider

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
Coming in hot with this post.  I think Wildpeaks AT3W are great all-around tires.  I have the E rated on my L663 and I have loved them.   The L663 comes in at around 5300lbs.  Great in the rain and snow(3 rated).  They tow great, quiet, and have no problem in the PNW trails.  I would say it is not a deep mud tire and you will have issues there but for an everything tire that excels at everything, I would recommend it.  I will be running them on the IG and will go with 33.  Let's not forget that the IG is a tall boy so adding 35 and lift, you are playing with physics.   Also, I forget where I read it but Ineos mentioned that NA spec will come with a 100-liter gas tank.  That is 90 liter tank plus the 17 liter space for ADBLU and the remaining 3 liters is probably connecting the two tanks together.  

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
I found it...It was from our very own Article 241, who did a write up on his Toronto viewing on 6/1

Specs:
- National regulations limit what a manufacturer can/could provide in terms of off-road modifications
- 35" tires might only show up in specific markets, and/or depending on pedestrian protection regulations
- Look for aftermarket suppliers to provide suspension lifts, bigger tires, and some accessories as they don't have to conform to OEM regulations
- No diesel engine for North America
- North America fuel tank size will be closer to 100 litres/26 US gallons
- Headroom, legroom, ergonomics and sight lines work well for all sizes
- As a 6'5" driver, I have enough room in the front, and would tightly fit behind myself in the rear seat
- Because of different pedestrian crash protection regulation, North America's fenders will allow for someone to sit on them

Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=ADVAW8S userid=8452459 postid=1332830186]I found it...It was from our very own Article 241, who did a write up on his Toronto viewing on 6/1

Specs:
- 35" tires might only show up in specific markets, and/or depending on pedestrian protection regulations
- Look for aftermarket suppliers to provide suspension lifts, bigger tires, and some accessories as they don't have to conform to OEM regulations
- North America fuel tank size will be closer to 100 litres/26 US gallons
- Because of different pedestrian crash protection regulation, North America's fenders will allow for someone to sit on them[/QUOTE]

I welcome that to the U.S.!  Small increase in fuel, but beats carrying that many more cans of fuel. I currently have a 26 gallon tank but get 12 miles per gallon (vs. IG's 18ish).... so I'll definitely feel the improvement even though it's still nowhere a large tank. 

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
just seen in comments cld be 35/12.5/R17 or metric 315/70/R17

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:49 PM
Reaction score
Interesting at 27 minutes in he says that the suspension is designed to accept and aftermarket lift and Emu is coming on board to do it. 

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just finished watching it. Got called away. Decent vid raising lots of interesting points. 

Local time
Reaction score
Maybe folks have already seen this video, but at 0:20 (twenty seconds into the video) the cameraman places his fingers next to the spare tire to show the clearance between the spare and the small rear door. Might help provide a sense of how large a spare-tire will fit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6wF6eb1ZKE

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tks stickshifter. going to be close with 33's, will likely need rear door bracket spacer and/or offset a bit to the right. I feel a fabrication coming on - ooer!

Back
Top Bottom