The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Is the NATO plug wire to the starter battery or to the Aux battery/120 SmartPass?

etbandit

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the NATO plug has been wired to the starter battery or if it's been wired to the Aux battery/120 SmartPass?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:04 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the NATO plug has been wired to the starter battery or if it's been wired to the Aux battery/120 SmartPass?
Here is a picture of my battery set up. The service battery has a live feed via a 300A mega fuse from the lower little fuse 5 way connection point I think the second from the left cable on the first picture coming from the 5way little fuse box is the one going to the rear NATO PLUG ( larger cable with no black protection sleeve on) The 5 way connection point is fed from the 7 way connection point at top of picture which is fed from the starter battery.
I think it’s been suggested that there are different wiring set ups. IMG_1679.jpegIMG_1676.jpegIMG_1634.jpeg

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry guys just had to edit my above post as not real clear. When I said third from left I was referring to bottom photo. But have now clarified and referring to first photo for clarity and second from left cable.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Who's on first base? 😉

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my battery set up. The service battery has a live feed via a 300A mega fuse from the lower little fuse 5 way connection point
Interesting to see the inline fuse is rated at 300A in yours. As per the other thread, mine is wired differently - directly into the 5 way fuse box via a mega fuse whose lid I can't remove without removing loads of the lower seat trim. However, if it's got a 300A fuse in then I'm in trouble, as the same cable as yours looks to serve my NATO socket and that fuse is a 350A one!

I'm struggling to see how we both have the same electrical setup - high load/auxiliary battery but appear to have completely different wiring setups?

WP_20230519_033.jpg

etbandit

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my battery set up. The service battery has a live feed via a 300A mega fuse from the lower little fuse 5 way connection point I think the second from the left cable on the first picture coming from the 5way little fuse box is the one going to the rear NATO PLUG ( larger cable with no black protection sleeve on) The 5 way connection point is fed from the 7 way connection point at top of picture which is fed from the starter battery.
I think it’s been suggested that there are different wiring set ups.
The wiring setup seems complicated, but if I've understood what you've said correctly, the NATO plug is wired to starter battery via the 5 way fuse box, before the auxillary battery?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting to see the inline fuse is rated at 300A in yours. As per the other thread, mine is wired differently - directly into the 5 way fuse box via a mega fuse whose lid I can't remove without removing loads of the lower seat trim. However, if it's got a 300A fuse in then I'm in trouble, as the same cable as yours looks to serve my NATO socket and that fuse is a 350A one!

I'm struggling to see how we both have the same electrical setup - high load/auxiliary battery but appear to have completely different wiring setups?

View attachment 7815055
I can’t quite get my head around it. From my understanding and following the cabling I can’t see that anything is connected to the service battery?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The wiring setup seems complicated, but if I've understood what you've said correctly, the NATO plug is wired to starter battery via the 5 way fuse box, before the auxillary battery?
That’s the way it looks to me but I’m no auto sparky

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Seems insane to have to say it. But as a group we may have to pitch in to pay to get an Auto electrician to go over a few owners donor cars and write us a manual and create a wiring diagram for us all to reference.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7815055
@DCPU could you post a picture of your whole battery compartment similar to my photo so that I can compare and try and get my head around the differences

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The NATO plug works with the winch energised through the 500A switch with the engine running in P N or R
So pointless unless you want to use for the rear winch, and if you want to power a trailer. And since the 13 pin trailer plug is also missing the power wiring, not that anyone in Australia does it that way anyway, there is no capacity for trailer power built in.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can’t quite get my head around it. From my understanding and following the cabling I can’t see that anything is connected to the service battery?
That's how it should be in my mind or at least how it should have been delivered.

You then have two choices for adding anything off the auxiliary:

1. Normal consumer items ~ wired via the Smartpass out terminal; and
2. Critical consumer items ~ wired directly off the auxiliary battery.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@DCPU could you post a picture of your whole battery compartment similar to my photo so that I can compare and try and get my head around the differences
I already have, I thought, on the other thread. The problem is that with all the added lower seat trim, it not clear from a photo similar to yours were the wiring starts/finishes.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just to add to my earlier post*, the auxiliary battery via the Smartpass will pulse charge the main battery, and link with it to help starting when required; so in that sense the auxiliary is connected to the main.

* I seem to only have a new 5min period to edit an existing post.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just to add to my earlier post*, the auxiliary battery via the Smartpass will pulse charge the main battery, and link with it to help starting when required; so in that sense the auxiliary is connected to the main.

* I seem to only have a new 5min period to edit an existing post.
Thanks. I assumed that auxiliary power points would be wired to the service battery so that the starter battery would remain fully charged. That’s how I had it configured on my defender via a VSR all auxiliary loads wired to service battery.
Is it wired so that all auxiliary loads are connected to starter battery and service battery is purely there to help start the vehicle if starter battery is depleted ?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. I assumed that auxiliary power points would be wired to the service battery so that the starter battery would remain fully charged. That’s how I had it configured on my defender via a VSR all auxiliary loads wired to service battery.
Is it wired so that all auxiliary loads are connected to starter battery and service battery is purely there to help start the vehicle if starter battery is depleted ?
One of life’s little mysteries. Wouldn’t it be awesome if the manufacturer provided a manual explaining how your extra purchase was configured and could be used, perhaps fit for purpose even. Who’d have thunk that was a great idea.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes to this PLUS the auxiliary will pulse charge the main battery when left to stand.

Didn't you wire your fridge off the Smartpass output?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes to this PLUS the auxiliary will pulse charge the main battery when left to stand.

Didn't you wire your fridge off the Smartpass output?
Yes I did and wouldn’t it be better to have all auxiliary loads connected to service battery so that starter battery didn’t need pulse charging? Certainly on most overland vehicles I’ve seen and boats I’ve used the norm is to have auxiliary loads wired to service battery. I figure there’s something here I’m not understanding!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry for the sarcasm, but people have bought and owned these vehicles for weeks now, and the fact that the dealers haven’t been able to deliver them and do a proper informed hand over, nor provide owners with adequate documentation about the features of the vehicle is just demonstrating what a shit show Ineos are running. Hey, I’m looking forward to getting mine, but initial ownership is sounding like it’ll be a three ring circus.

Back
Top Bottom