The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Infotainment system workings

Local time
3:23 PM
Reaction score
The DAB radio does not seem to find any stations except for ABC and SBS stations. Vehicle is in Melbourne vic Australia.
is anyone else finding this?

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
The DAB radio does not seem to find any stations except for ABC and SBS stations. Vehicle is in Melbourne vic Australia.
is anyone else finding this?
I have the same issue with DAB - I find stations but the quality is different or the radio does not not allow to pick a pre-defined radio station. I have a reference with my previous car (Mercedes) and driving the same route. One for sure is the software issue not immediately picking the desired station but I assume with a SW upgrade (not update) it will not be done. Guessing there might be a HW quality issue on the receiver/antenna side. When the signal is very good the sound is good - (basically when there is good 4G cell phone coverage also the DAB signal is strong) but when not the strongest signal then in the IG the sound comes and goes whereas in my MB it is still good. Not sure if they can solve the issue without a HW replacement.

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
I have the same issue with DAB - I find stations but the quality is different or the radio does not not allow to pick a pre-defined radio station. I have a reference with my previous car (Mercedes) and driving the same route. One for sure is the software issue not immediately picking the desired station but I assume with a SW upgrade (not update) it will not be done. Guessing there might be a HW quality issue on the receiver/antenna side. When the signal is very good the sound is good - (basically when there is good 4G cell phone coverage also the DAB signal is strong) but when not the strongest signal then in the IG the sound comes and goes whereas in my MB it is still good. Not sure if they can solve the issue without a HW replacement.
BTW in Italy - when I went to France this week it was even worse ;-)

Local time
Reaction score
Is there an easy solution to boosting the antenna performance?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
Is there an easy solution to boosting the antenna performance?
I fail to see how it can be an antenna issue, unless the vehicle itself is working against it.

I have superb reception in all my DAB radios at home and yet the Grenadier is completely unable to tune in to the majority of stations.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I fail to see how it can be an antenna issue, unless the vehicle itself is working against it.

I have superb reception in all my DAB radios at home and yet the Grenadier is completely unable to tune in to the majority of stations.
I think the issue may prove to be the location of the antenna located within the rear door frame. IMHO not the best place to install a DAB antenna.
(For the benefit of @Jean Mercier IMHO = in my humble opinion)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It looks like they thought about that and the rear quarter panel is only made of plastic. The antenna is effectively on the outside of the steel box (which in my ignorance of all things electromagnetic, I thought could be the issue).

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It looks like they thought about that and the rear quarter panel is only made of plastic. The antenna is effectively on the outside of the steel box (which in my ignorance of all things electromagnetic, I thought could be the issue).
Agree, but unless the transmitter is behind the vehicle when travelling there is a nice steel box doing a good job of shielding the other directions, I would have liked to have seen it roof mounted.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Imagine if those good for nothing roof strips were the antenna then. 🤔

Local time
Reaction score
I must say the radio is pants the tuning set up is bad you can't use the presets and its laggy go anywhere off track and it won't work. Carry a separate tranny

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe just attach your jump leads from the antenna to the roofrack for perfect reception?
I have what I consider as reasonable DAB systems in my current vehicles, Meridian and Bose. And I suffer from frequent drop outs near my home in SW Scotland, so from the feedback of the grenadier users I have got no chance of receiving DAB

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I have what I consider as reasonable DAB systems in my current vehicles, Meridian and Bose. And I suffer from frequent drop outs near my home in SW Scotland, so from the feedback of the grenadier users I have got no chance of receiving DAB
I had to google DAB and the result is I'm not going to miss what I've never had 🥹

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not up with all this modern electronic digital stuff, but I did have an aftermarket good quality Sanyo radio in my old Defender which worked really well on AM and FM but anymore than about 60k’s from Brissy it did not pick up Brisbane DAB very well even with a fairly clear path.
I’ve just come back from a drive in the Grenny about 80+k’s from Brisbane on the other side of the D’Agular Range and it held the same DAB station all the way.
Although I’m not a great fan of the way the radio is set up in the Grenadier, for me it seems to be doing the job.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not up with all this modern electronic digital stuff, but I did have an aftermarket good quality Sanyo radio in my old Defender which worked really well on AM and FM but anymore than about 60k’s from Brissy it did not pick up Brisbane DAB very well even with a fairly clear path.
I’ve just come back from a drive in the Grenny about 80+k’s from Brisbane on the other side of the D’Agular Range and it held the same DAB station all the way.
Although I’m not a great fan of the way the radio is set up in the Grenadier, for me it seems to be doing the job.
I've had a similar experience with the "old farts" DAB+ "MBS Light":giggle:...quite reliable most of the way to/from Toowoomba!

Back
Top Bottom