The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

INEOS will NOT protect order holders in the US from dealer markups

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:02 PM
Reaction score
So, would you consider a $695 document fee a markup?
$999?
$199?

Easy for the dealers to play games.
I'll have a pretty low tolerance for it.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score
So, would you consider a $695 document fee a markup?
$999?
$199?

Easy for the dealers to play games.
I'll have a pretty low tolerance for it.
Very good point. It would not be difficult to list every dealer’s fees right here for the world to see. I do know some states have maximum doc fees though FEES

Local time
10:02 AM
Reaction score
I will walk myself if the dealer tries that, Toyota has exerted its self on dealers allocations of 4Runners and tacomas that have added market adjustments.
No they haven’t. Toyota doesn’t control allocations in a large part of the U.S. market (they sold distribution to Gulf states and southern states Toyota) and most states have laws explicitly preventing manufacturers from changing allocations based on stuff like this.

I work in strategy for an automaker, it’s a maddening state of affairs.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is an industry term we should all learn to address dealer games. Merely look the, in the eye and say “f%&$ off,”
Most people would need to learn to tell their demand for instant gratification to f&©€ off before being able to tell the dealer too!

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:02 AM
Reaction score
Why are we still debating direct sales in the US? Ineos has chosen its path. (In fact, they chose their path a long time ago.) Like it or leave it.
There was no choice For INEOS to make. They could not go direct, it was impossible, illegal, unavailable as an option. They really wanted to. Tesla used technology and USA manufacturing exceptions. Dealer structure is too embedded in law…

it obviously causes real pain, and hardly encourages competition from what you guys complain about. Hopefully publicly shaming gouging, and shifting delivery to ethical agents will work. Good luck!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:02 AM
Reaction score
There was no choice For INEOS to make. They could not go direct, it was impossible, illegal, unavailable as an option. They really wanted to. Tesla used technology and USA manufacturing exceptions. Dealer structure is too embedded in law…

it obviously causes real pain, and hardly encourages competition from what you guys complain about. Hopefully publicly shaming gouging, and shifting delivery to ethical agents will work. Good luck!
I think it is funny that in the land of the free car dealers make the rules.
Sounds like it is no more free than the rest of us.
Although we all still have the freedom to walk away.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
The US guys should found a purchasing cooperative and buy ALL Grenadiers at the same agent with a bulletproof contract for final sales prices.

The other dealers will then have a problem. For the saved money you can easily pay an extra transport to your address.

In Germany there was once a great idea to force petrol stations to lower pertrol prices. The idea was, not to refuel at e.g. "Aral" stations for a month or two all over Germany. It didn't work because there are so many idiots which are stupid or ignorant and just don't care.

But within a comparably small group of customers like there is for the Grenadier, this could eventually work. It's called the power of the market.

That would require someone to act as spokesperson and negotiator, preferably a lawyer. The lawyer could be a Grenadier buyer himself or even a paid lawyer.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
The US guys should found a purchasing cooperative and buy ALL Grenadiers at the same agent with a bulletproof contract for final sales prices.

The other dealers will then have a problem. For the saved money you can easily pay an extra transport to your address.

In Germany there was once a great idea to force petrol stations to lower pertrol prices. The idea was, not to refuel at e.g. "Aral" stations for a month or two all over Germany. It didn't work because there are so many idiots which are stupid or ignorant and just don't care.

But within a comparably small group of customers like there is for the Grenadier, this could eventually work. It's called the power of the market.

That would require someone to act as spokesperson and negotiator, preferably a lawyer. The lawyer could be a Grenadier buyer himself or even a paid lawyer.
Yeah, right, everyone is going to agree to get together and participate. And buy your vehicles at a dealership potentially thousands of miles from your home.

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Now that we have a possible list of some dealers in the US (from the "ANY WORD YET?" thread), we should invite them to the forum. I know the one in Houston joined the forum and has already said no markups.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think it is funny that in the land of the free car dealers make the rules.
Sounds like it is no more free than the rest of us.
Although we all still have the freedom to walk away.
The United States is one big enigma.

Reactions: DDG

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Now that we have a possible list of some dealers in the US (from the "ANY WORD YET?" thread), we should invite them to the forum. I know the one in Houston joined the forum and has already said no markups.
I’m confident many are already here and will become vocal when they’re allowed to. Until the official dealer announcement, it is probably wise for them to keep on the DL.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
Yeah, right, everyone is going to agree to get together and participate. And buy your vehicles at a dealership potentially thousands of miles from your home.
You don't have to. You have a choice.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The doc fees are about as BS as the 'rust protection' and the 'ceramic paint protectors'
I couldn't agree more, but honestly, if everything else in the purchase process has gone well (dealer has or is willing to get the vehicle I want, at an agreeable price), and I get to the finance room who, after attempting to sell me on 40 useless upsells, prints everything out and presents a $499 doc fee, even on a $35,000 purchase, I'm not walking away at that point to start all over elsewhere (and I think that is part of the dealer's play).

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more, but honestly, if everything else in the purchase process has gone well (dealer has or is willing to get the vehicle I want, at an agreeable price), and I get to the finance room who, after attempting to sell me on 40 useless upsells, prints everything out and presents a $499 doc fee, even on a $35,000 purchase, I'm not walking away at that point to start all over elsewhere (and I think that is part of the dealer's play).
I think we all are willing to move forward with an agreeable price. My list price is now $94K - if the dealer hits me with a $20-30K mark up for example which Ive seen far too often in CA - I would walk away. I believe Ineos knows this and the dealers might save the big $$ mark ups for the non-reservation holders.

sean303boards

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score

Even a small group that are all getting from the same dealer can pull together.

Sadly I feel like a large portion of the orders are from rich people that will prob pay all with cash.. and a $1k-$4k hike is Pennies in the bucket.

But I am all for a collective.. and I’m even open to picking up from a location not the closest to me.. after all I’ll be traveling all over the US / Canada with this thing.

Back
Top Bottom