The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Honesty from Ineos Automotive please….

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
JLR and other brands have sacrificed durability/service life in pursuit of a customer who turns vehicles over every 3-5 years. Digital modelling and more precise material science has allowed mass to be progressively reduced... and apart from durability, everyone wins with less weight: improved fuel efficiency, better driving dynamics, lower cost of materials.

In doing so however they walked away from the adventurers, explorers, soldiers and workers that made the brand (Land Rover) what it is.

Heavier does not mean better, I agree. But more durable usually means either heavier or somewhat more costly.

AWo

Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
Ineos started the Grenadier as "the 4x4 without a compromise". You say it was not build as a pure offroader but as an carrier?

The weight requires a compromises when going offroad and as a carrier it is too heavy leaving too less load. Check with the oil tanker...the relation between its weight against the weight if its load......

BTW...I would not have the idea of comparing an oil tanker with a car...however, to stay with such comparisons....compare the weight of the train in Mali, up to 3 km long with each of up to 210 wagons carrying up to 84 tons of ore. That is a good weight relation for a carrier.

AWo

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Heavier does not mean better, I agree. But more durable usually means either heavier or somewhat more costly.
I partly agree because if you need to make part A heavier, you need to make part B heavier to cope with the weight of part A etc.

In my oppinion you need to balance all that. Weight and clever design and reliable materials. Just claiming weight=reliable is wrong. And even if, it comes with many negative downsides. What is the benefit of an "undestructable car" (what the Grenadier still needs to proof, doesn't it?) when it get stuck in sand and mud all the time and I can only carry 750 kg of load? Then you're better up with an Jeep Gladiator, only 2.4 t and 780 kg load. Or with my Isuzu D-Max, 2 t weight and 1 t load. If I need a carrier, I buy one...

AWo

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
That is not my experience as weight is a penalty itself to all components.

AWo
It’s a balancing act, yes to a degree but also no. There is a reason heavy duty machinery is just that, heavy. IG is heavy because it is built strong not because it is full of luxury items like electric seats. What do you want to give up? Would you trade full ladder chassis for monocoque, would you trade heavy duty beam axles for independent suspension? If so there are plenty of other offerings out there that would probably suit you better.

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
Ineos started the Grenadier as "the 4x4 without a compromise". You say it was not build as a pure offroader but as an carrier?

The weight requires a compromises when going offroad and as a carrier it is too heavy leaving too less load. Check with the oil tanker...the relation between its weight against the weight if its load......

BTW...I would not have the idea of comparing an oil tanker with a car...however, to stay with such comparisons....compare the weight of the train in Mali, up to 3 km long with each of up to 210 wagons carrying up to 84 tons of ore. That is a good weight relation for a carrier.

AWo
Anyone who knows a little about 4x4s knew from the start that this slogan could only serve advertising purposes. The uncompromising off-roader just looks different from the Grenadier. In your articles, statements have been made which may be true for some Grenadier users, but not for others. That's just the way it is, you can discuss as much as you want. Everyone buys what he thinks is right. Where is the problem?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:28 AM
Reaction score
JLR and other brands have sacrificed durability/service life in pursuit of a customer who turns vehicles over every 3-5 years. Digital modelling and more precise material science has allowed mass to be progressively reduced... and apart from durability, everyone wins with less weight: improved fuel efficiency, better driving dynamics, lower cost of materials.

In doing so however they walked away from the adventurers, explorers, soldiers and workers that made the brand (Land Rover) what it is.

This is why the GREN will sell, and we will love it.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I partly agree because if you need to make part A heavier, you need to make part B heavier to cope with the weight of part A etc.

In my oppinion you need to balance all that. Weight and clever design and reliable materials. Just claiming weight=reliable is wrong. And even if, it comes with many negative downsides. What is the benefit of an "undestructable car" (what the Grenadier still needs to proof, doesn't it?) when it get stuck in sand and mud all the time and I can only carry 750 kg of load? Then you're better up with an Jeep Gladiator, only 2.4 t and 780 kg load. Or with my Isuzu D-Max, 2 t weight and 1 t load. If I need a carrier, I buy one...

AWo
As I wrote before I got your point. But what would the alternative have been?
Of course it is easier to purchase (existing) parts from existing manufacturers. And if you do so you probably will add more weight than with product specific produced ingredients. Partly because those third parties products will - if durable enough - tendentious be heavier than self designed ones. The other point might be that everything you need to connect those third parties products in the car might be heavier as everything hasn’t been developed all together.
But I have two questions:
1.) what would the Grenadier be without those major brand ingredients? Many people think that something put together with those parts will be durable. The positive radiance of the brands behind the Grenadier speak for itself.
2.) what time and money IA would have needed to bring the car out „nearly“ fully self developed? It would be even later and more expensive—> you would safe 200 kg to purchase the vehicle 2025 for 30% (plus inflation) more?
Your points about the weight are right and you probably know much more about building a proper 4x4 than nearly anyone here on the forum.
But could it really have been that better for this price in this timescale?

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Anyone who knows a little about 4x4s knew from the start that this slogan could only serve advertising purposes. The uncompromising off-roader just looks different from the Grenadier.
Thanks for that statement. So I'm not the only one thinking this. However, still a sad thing. Short after I was introduced to that project in June 2016 this claim was born and the field was still green and empty. Not a single part existed...so it was possible to do anything.

However, weight is only one topic, it is as is is and of course the car will drive more or less good where no tarmac is. I don't know. At least in the videos I saw, the scenery stopped when it becomes interesting.

And of course there is absolutley no problem with people buying what they think they need. Look at me, I must drink a lot of beer or look into Land Rover brochure to believe my cars are the best and reliable.
To be honest, whereas my Td5 has now 450.000 km, our Td4 2.2 with 265.000 km just had a major brakedown. Actually it is stripped apart and we're looking at the issues (definitely an oil pressure problem). Things like the piston rod bearings and hydraulic valve lifters are affected.

20230415_131154.jpg

But, I was at least slightly aware of what is coming at me before I bought my first Defender. Over time I accepted what these cars mean and I'm still willing to spend time and money to keep them running. Because I like most aspects of them. Capable offroaders, absolutely suitable for travelling and my personal fun to work on them, upgrading or repairing them. I like that kind of wasting my time. So, fine for me, not fine for others.

1.) what would the Grenadier be without those major brand ingredients? Many people think that something put together with those parts will be durable. The positive radiance of the brands behind the Grenadier speak for itself.
2.) what time and money IA would have needed to bring the car out „nearly“ fully self developed? It would be even later and more expensive—> you would safe 200 kg to purchase the vehicle 2025 for 30% (plus inflation) more?
Your points about the weight are right and you probably know much more about building a proper 4x4 than nearly anyone here on the forum.
But could it really have been that better for this price in this timescale?
1) Can be, must not. That just putting things together won't work.
2) Exactly. The question is, is it better the other way? That must answer everybody for himself, because all cars on the market are just an offer to people to pick what they need or like.

The question is where the manufacturers priorities are? Long existing companies had no other chance than to develop all on their own because when they started there were no Magnas, Ricardos, AVL,s etc. to ask. This way they grew and today they have the machinery. expirience and knowledge to do all that on their own. A new player does not have this possibilities if they have to look at money, at some point and at some time. Fully understandable. No criticism here.

However, I stick to what I said right from the beginning and it is just my personal thing. I knew what the Grenadier should have become and ist hasn't. For a guy like me driving in mud and sand and all that stuff and at the same time travelling with a 4x4 as a camper the promise was the best I've heard for years, knowing that more and more car companies quit their serious capabables 4x4s leaving this market thinned out. Just to see that the result hasn't become what I really hoped for. And it will become worse...due to the Euro 7 exhaust regulations more and more cars will not have 4x4 anmyore, because they won't fullfill the requirements with 4x4. For example, there will be no more 4x4 VW bus anymore.

And keep in mind...Ineos doesn't build the Grenadier on its own. All suppliers have a close look at how Ineos will do, as a wrong decision here could cost the live of an supplier. If they sense that Ineos doesn't get things done, they will think twice about continuing as they all have to finance stuff before writing the invoice.

AWo

Last edited:

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure if that was what AWo was getting at. The most superb company can still be subject to criticism and some speculation. I am interested in what AWo has to say however it doesn't have an effect on my enthusiasm.
I'm sorry. My post was intended to reply to #64 from @DCPU.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure if that was what AWo was getting at. The most superb company can still be subject to criticism and some speculation. I am interested in what AWo has to say however it doesn't have an effect on my enthusiasm.
As said, reply was directed to #64 from @DCPU.
But I just noticed that, with all due respect, it also fits to what AWo said, in my view.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that statement. So I'm not the only one thinking this. However, still a sad thing. SHort after I was introduced to that project in June 2016 this claim was born and the field was still green and empty. Not a single part existed...so it was possible to do anything.

However, weight is only one topic, it is at is is and of course the car will drive more or less good where no tarmac is. I don't know. At least in the videos I saw, the scenery stops when it becomes interesting.

And of course there is absolutley no problem with people buying what they think they need. Look at me, I must drink a lot of beer or look into Land Rover brochure to believe my cars are the best and reliable.
To be honest, whereas my Td5 has now 450.000 km our Td4 2.2 with 265.000 km just had a major brakedown. Actually it is stripped apart and we're looking at the issues (definitely an oil pressure problem).

View attachment 7808599

But, I was at least slightly aware of what is coming at me before I bought my first Defender. Over time I accepted what these cars mean and I'm still willing to spend time and money to keep them running. Because I like most aspects of them. Capable offroaders, absolutely suitable for travelling and my personal fun to work on them, upgrading or repairing them. I like that kind of wasting my time. So, fine for me, not fine for others.

1) Can be, must not. That just putting things together won't work.
2) Exactly. The question is, is it better the other way? That must answer everybody for himself, because all cars on the market are just an offer to people to pick what they need or like.

The question is where the manufacturers priorities are? Long existing companies had no other chance than to develop all on their own because when they started there were no Magnas, Ricardos, AVL,s etc. to ask. This way they grew and today they have the machinery. expirience and knowledge to do all that on your own. A new player does not have this possibilities if they have to look at money, at some point and at some time. Fully understandable. No criticism here.

However, I stick to what I said right from the beginning and it is just my personal thing. I knew what the Grenadier should have become and ist hasn't. For a guy like me driving in mud and sand and all that stuff and at the same time travelling with a 4x4 as a camper the promise was the best I've heard for years, knowing that more and more car companies quit their serious capabables 4x4s leaving this market thinned out. Just to see that the result hasn't become what I really hoped for. ANd it will become worse...due to teh Euro 7 exhaust regulations more and more cars will not have 4x4 anmyore, because they won't fullfill the requirements with 4x4. For example, there will be no more 4x4 VW bus anymore.

And keep in mind...Ineos doesn't build the Grenadier on its own. All suppliers have a close look at how Ineos will do, as a wrong decision here could cost the live of an supplier. If they sense that Ineos doesn't get things done, they will think twice about continuing as they all have to finance stuff before writing the invoice.

AWo
Regarding 1) I thought manly that the interest for the Grenadier came for a good piece from the well known part suppliers. This good working marketing machine (and we in this forum are part of it in my opinion) would never have been possible with unknown brands and only selfmade parts.
And without this marketing it would have been even harder to reach the „finish line“

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On reviewing again the statements made by AWo. I would add that this vehicle had to be marketable and at an affordable price. In order to achieve this, compromises have got to be made. To do without compromise would mean a specific commission at a very high price. It would not be possible to make this car 100% ideal for all people. As it is; I believe this vehicle will be a worthy successor to my current Defender Td5 in every way.
As said, reply was directed to #64 from @DCPU.
But I just noticed that, with all due respect, it also fits to what AWo said, in my view.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
On reviewing again the statements made by AWo. I would add that this vehicle had to be marketable and at an affordable price. In order to achieve this, compromises have got to be made. To do without compromise would mean a specific commission at a very high price. It would not be possible to make this car 100% ideal for all people. As it is; I believe this vehicle will be a worthy successor to my current Defender Td5 in every way.
Very well said!
But why does your TD5 have to go? I'll keep mine. There's no better mate for the Gren...

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very well said!
But why does your TD5 have to go? I'll keep mine. There's no better mate for the Gren...
And I have a TD5 90 - pictured, that’s certainly staying, I have sold my SL 350 last weekend pending the Grenadier arrival!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Lots of wordy posts explaining why the vehicle doesn't suit their needs , finances or sociopolitical viewpoint. 👍
:rolleyes:
Then they can exercise their right and say " no thanks not for me" and buy something else

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would it be weird if I went on a Landcruiser forum and pointed out the many deficiencies and overpricing of the 300 series in my strong opinion?
I just amazed how the criminal gang that twists their arm up their backs to buy one is able to span 3 continents.

Back
Top Bottom