The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Heated mirrors and Windshield washers?

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
I was looking through the manual and it mentions heated mirrors and windshield washers. Is that standard on the US cars, I think they manual (EU) made them sound like options,. I don’t remember that. Mirrors are nice, Washers are a big plus for mountain driving. There isn’t a heated steering wheel either, right?

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
Part of the Smooth Pack which is standard for US models. Power heated mirrors are handy in cold climates for commuter vehicles as it's one less thing to scrape on cold mornings. The elements can fail day one or go twenty years - it's hit or miss in my limited experience. I'll pick up a pair of non-powered mirrors for the future.

Yes, the heated windshield washers are included as standard too. I'd be happy without the hot squirters or a (god forbid) a heated steering wheel. Try getting repair parts for those a decade or two from now. Once a vehicle is up to operating temp I've never had a windshield issue plus it already has a defroster button. Guess we all have different priorities.

If your wheel is cold put on gloves. The Grenadier is designed to be driven while wearing a pair. ;)

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier is designed to be driven while wearing a pair. ;)
And it is comfortable to operate everything with them on! (Both winter gloves and work gloves)

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
Part of the Smooth Pack which is standard for US models. Power heated mirrors are handy in cold climates for commuter vehicles as it's one less thing to scrape on cold mornings. The elements can fail day one or go twenty years - it's hit or miss in my limited experience. I'll pick up a pair of non-powered mirrors for the future.

Yes, the heated windshield washers are included as standard too. I'd be happy without the hot squirters or a (god forbid) a heated steering wheel. Try getting repair parts for those a decade or two from now. Once a vehicle is up to operating temp I've never had a windshield issue plus it already has a defroster button. Guess we all have different priorities.

If your wheel is cold put on gloves. The Grenadier is designed to be driven while wearing a pair. ;)
I have heated washers on my current vehicle. I can not see the point in them - they are a hinderance. I squirt out screen wash it hits the snow or ice which immediately freezes on the wiper blades till they become the size of tree trunks and then the windscreen starts to freeze over with the ice the heated screen washers have melted. - I am doing something wrong? :eek:

Local time
Reaction score
I have heated washers on my current vehicle. I can not see the point in them - they are a hinderance. I squirt out screen wash it hits the snow or ice which immediately freezes on the wiper blades till they become the size of tree trunks and then the windscreen starts to freeze over with the ice the heated screen washers have melted. - I am doing something wrong? :eek:

Yes. :rolleyes:

You are supposed to clear the snow and ice off your window first, its a legal requirement @Eric (section 41D of the Road Traffic Act 1988).
I live in Scotland too, i don't have heated screen washers (or a heated screen) on my Defender and i've never had that issue, ever.
It did get cold enough to feeze my skushers a few yearsa ago but to be honest that was my fault as I still had summer mix in the bottle.

If you turn on the heated windscreen (I think only standard on the Fieldmaster ?) or direct the aircon at the windscreen then you will find that the heated screen washers offer a huge advantage of non heated as you can skush almost immediatly whereas in my old Defender it takes a while for the engines heat to melt the fluid in the pipes and jets.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

You are supposed to clear the snow and ice off your window first, its a legal requirement @Eric (section 41D of the Road Traffic Act 1988).
I live in Scotland too, i don't have heated screen washers (or a heated screen) on my Defender and i've never had that issue, ever.
It did get cold enough to feeze my skushers a few yearsa ago but to be honest that was my fault as I still had summer mix in the bottle.

If you turn on the heated windscreen (I think only standard on the Fieldmaster ?) or direct the aircon at the windscreen then you will find that the heated screen washers offer a huge advantage of non heated as you can skush almost immediatly whereas in my old Defender it takes a while for the engines heat to melt the fluid in the pipes and jets.
Yes, I only get trouble when I use them when driving, obviously I clear the snow and ice first, but I get tempted to use the washers when spray is splashed up by passing cars. I know better but still end up using them. I thought all the grenadiers had the heated screen, not just the Belstaff versions. What I would like to know from a grenadier owner who has had a look is what type of heated windscreen is it? I know the actual windscreen does not have an electric element in it because of the extra thickness of the glass so I presume it is some sort of electric fan heater the below dash aka MB.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I keep my windshield nice and toasty to help with melt. I like driving in ‘shirtsleeve’ conditions for comfort and flexibility, though getting in and out is a pain then- but then if you are out, you can scrape the window.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
Have you guys ever had a Land Rover with the tiny wires in the windshield? They work great!

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
My friend has one, an aftermarket installation.
You are right it works really well and defrosts in just a couple of minutes.
I would definitely have one in a Grenny.

Local time
Reaction score

There is no heated screen on any model

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
That does seem a bit remiss.

Not for a low volume vehicle that may get windscreens damaged often. $$$$!

I keep my windshield nice and toasty to help with melt. I like driving in ‘shirtsleeve’ conditions for comfort and flexibility, though getting in and out is a pain then- but then if you are out, you can scrape the window.

As long as you're not wearing flip-flops in sub freezing conditions. I just shake my head when I see people obviously miles from home doing this in the middle of winter. They're usually the first to complain about the cold as well.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is no heated screen on any model
So the front demist button on the centre console just puts, fan max + screen vents + air con. Similar to what the discovery 4 max button without the heated screen

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So the front demist button on the centre console just puts, fan max + screen vents + air con. Similar to what the discovery 4 max button without the heated screen
Similar to every vehicle in the modern era with a similar button....

Local time
Reaction score

Yes.
I've never had a car that doesn't do that or that has the same icon next to the button/knob/dial that controls the air direction and force.
Mind you, my 1994 landrover doesn't have one but, as has been mentioned, for about £200 one can get a heated screen ...

I think my mates BMW touring motorcycle had one, it had everything else ...

Sloany

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone had a remote start retrofitted to a vehicle? I don't fancy scrapping the windscreen at 5am on a cold morning. I have a factory one on the Range Rover & it's nice & warmed up by the time I've had a cup of tea.

Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone had a remote start retrofitted to a vehicle? I don't fancy scrapping the windscreen at 5am on a cold morning. I have a factory one on the Range Rover & it's nice & warmed up by the time I've had a cup of tea.

I don't own a Grenny, but I can't imagine that will be that easy to impliment.

There are companies that do provide such a thing ... https://remotestarts.co.uk/ ... for example but I think that would need a full understanding of the ECU, which given the Grenny is brand new, I can't envidsage that it has become available yet.
If you want to chat with them and offer your vehicle for examination they are in Walton on Thames 250 miles SSE of you not far from the M3/M26 junction.

Sloany

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't own a Grenny, but I can't imagine that will be that easy to impliment.

There are companies that do provide such a thing ... https://remotestarts.co.uk/ ... for example but I think that would need a full understanding of the ECU, which given the Grenny is brand new, I can't envidsage that it has become available yet.
If you want to chat with them and offer your vehicle for examination they are in Walton on Thames 250 miles SSE of you not far from the M3/M26 junction.
Thanks Miki, I have emailed them. Another option might be a night heater with a timer/app. I think Black Sheep innovations have developed one.

Back
Top Bottom