The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Has anyone added a towing hitch after?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
I don’t have trailer stability control or any of that, but I was able to wire up all the lights to work correctly and I don’t get error codes. I used a Bronco trailer wiring harness. My point is, it can be done without running it through the Grenadier system.

Nobody is saying you can't do that or that it would cause issues.

SQF1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t have trailer stability control or any of that, but I was able to wire up all the lights to work correctly and I don’t get error codes. I used a Bronco trailer wiring harness. My point is, it can be done without running it through the Grenadier system.
I'd love more details. When I asked the dealer about adding the ability to tow to mine they said sure no problem, I just noticed this morning (picked up last Friday) that they added the hitch but not the wiring. I'm not afraid of digging in but also no sense in re-inventing the wheel if you've already done it.

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm bit unsure why but my order doesn't have the towing hitch. I'm pretty shocked by that I must have accidentally not selected it when running other options. Anyone do the same and add one after the fact? I guess so long as the framing is there it's not that hard. Just wire a harness into the rear tail lights.
So my understanding is you can slap the hitch right on, its the 7 pins plug and how it communicates with the ABS and sway mitigation in the vehicle software and that is the rub. I am digging in to see if i can wire a 4 pin so i can at a minimum do dump runs and maybe a small boat with a trailer not needing its owns breaks…TBD…. Would love to hear if anyone has has success. Talked to two dealers both said it has to be done at time of order which seems wild….

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Talked to two dealers both said it has to be done at time of order which seems wild….
Their view on this is for factory/OEM integration.

You can absolutely wire a 4 pin (or even a 7 pin) with a universal wiring kit and tap off the taillights for the required signals

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Their view on this is for factory/OEM integration.

You can absolutely wire a 4 pin (or even a 7 pin) with a universal wiring kit and tap off the taillights for the required signals
Anyone have any pictures of where theyve tapped in to the tail lights youve come across? Ive been digging and havent had luck finding any but would prefer to copy a successful process than just wing it on my own….

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone have any pictures of where theyve tapped in to the tail lights youve come across? Ive been digging and havent had luck finding any but would prefer to copy a successful process than just wing it on my own….

That thread may help you

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
I think this one will go down on the list of "WTF were we thinking" for Ineos engineers. They should all just simply come with the hitch and wiring from the factory like ALL other trucks on the road. The costs of adding the stupid warning, fielding endless questions on how to add one, dealers butchering later installs, wiring vehicles 2 different ways on the assembly line....pretty dumb if you ask me.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think this one will go down on the list of "WTF were we thinking" for Ineos engineers. They should all just simply come with the hitch and wiring from the factory like ALL other trucks on the road. The costs of adding the stupid warning, fielding endless questions on how to add one, dealers butchering later installs, wiring vehicles 2 different ways on the assembly line....pretty dumb if you ask me.
Globally, towing is not a huge expectation of a vehicle, the RoW cares more about payload (one of the key reasons why the RoW gets the payload-focused Hilux and we get the towing-focused Tacoma). Was this an oversight? Possibly. But in the grand scheme of sales, a fairly small number of people have an "issue" of not having the hitch when they wanted one, and a good chunk of those people have no interest in the hitch for towing, but instead for accessories, which simply requires purchasing the hitch and bolting it on.

There's nothing for a dealer to butcher, as there is no factory approved way of adding everything else required. The wiring differences on the assembly line are only from the towing control module to the rear bumper; less invasive of an assembly line alteration than adding the NATO plug that comes with the high amperage switch panel

Jackschrammcox

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd love more details. When I asked the dealer about adding the ability to tow to mine they said sure no problem, I just noticed this morning (picked up last Friday) that they added the hitch but not the wiring. I'm not afraid of digging in but also no sense in re-inventing the wheel if you've already done it.
My situation is very similar to yours. Neither the dealer that I bought the car from nor the dealer closest to my home wants anything to do with providing a trailer hitch receiver or trailer wiring harnesses. One of those dealers told me that there are liability issues and that they are not installing either receivers or wiring. I was able to buy a receiver from a third-party vendor. So all I need now is the wiring harness. I've seen two posts where they mention "jeep" harness and where they mention "Bronco" harness. It would be very helpful to know which one, where they got it and what's the part number.
All the best.

rayhol

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My situation is very similar to yours. Neither the dealer that I bought the car from nor the dealer closest to my home wants anything to do with providing a trailer hitch receiver or trailer wiring harnesses. One of those dealers told me that there are liability issues and that they are not installing either receivers or wiring. I was able to buy a receiver from a third-party vendor. So all I need now is the wiring harness. I've seen two posts where they mention "jeep" harness and where they mention "Bronco" harness. It would be very helpful to know which one, where they got it and what's the part number.
All the best.
I am having a issue just trying to source hitch receiver. Dealer is not cooperating. Would you have the information where you got your receiver? I really want it for accessories (bikes, gear etc.) Thanks

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Dealer is not cooperating.
Meaning they refuse to sell you the part?

The part number for the hitch itself is EI-0000009968, then you'll need the bolts, which they should be able to source/order as well. After that it is as simple as popping off the cover and installing the hitch and 4 bolts and you're good to go for racks/etc

Reactions: PBD

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
The issue is most of these WILL get used to tow at some point. Sure, many will rarely tow. But with a 7700lb tow rating it will get used. Its the ONLY off road SUV that can tow much. Let me be clear the ONLY ONE. Not Bronco, not Jeep, not 4 runner, not Landcruiser.......They all are 5K or less. That was on the list of reasons we went for a Grenadier.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The issue is most of these WILL get used to tow at some point. Sure, many will rarely tow. But with a 7700lb tow rating it will get used. Its the ONLY off road SUV that can tow much. Let me be clear the ONLY ONE. Not Bronco, not Jeep, not 4 runner, not Landcruiser.......They all are 5K or less. That was on the list of reasons we went for a Grenadier.
To be fair here, the LC250 and 6th gen 4Runner are 6,000lbs, GX550 is 8,000-9,000lbs depending on config (LC200 was 8,100), and the current Defender 110 is 7,700-8,100lbs. So while the Grenadier is no slouch in the towing department, it isn't the only one on the spectrum

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am having a issue just trying to source hitch receiver. Dealer is not cooperating. Would you have the information where you got your receiver? I really want it for accessories (bikes, gear etc.) Thanks
Thats weird…hit up RDS Grenadier in PA if you still havent been able to get one. They sent me one immediately…

Back
Top Bottom