The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hard shell rooftop tent

jert

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
Was thinking of a roof rack + RTT in the beginning but changed my mind to Grenadier + off-road trailer (w/ tent).
Why ? Basically because the Grenadier is too heavy. Mine had exactly 2.900kg when I picked it up and filled up the tank.

It has a winch but was still missing the rock sliders and the roof bars at that time. Including this equipment + wife, dog and myself
it will be like 3.100kg.

Roof rack (50) + RTT (90) + 3.100 = 3.240 kg - leaving us w/ 260kg
At that time we don't have any food, drinks, clothes, water, extra fuel, chairs, table, ...
Based on experience this will not work for us also because regulations (fees) get stricter over here in Europe every year.

Some other Pros/Cons for the off-road trailer:
Pros:
- tent at 1m height, not 2.2m - built up in 2 minutes
- more weatherproof space
- lighter car when really going off-road (trailer stays in camp)

Cons:
- speed limit, 100km/h (130km/h)
- extra cost
- flexibility

trailer.png

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have their iKamper or equivalent mounted on the factory roof rack? Curious how you’ve mounted with the verticals orientation of the bars vs horizontal? Changed my order to the 3/4 each (have safari windows).

The other option is using the factory cross bars that can be easily added and removed. Just a matter of deciding if this will provide enough support for the tent.

Or do I go with something like the roof rack option from BlackSheep? Finalizing my order now that our Grenadier will be here in the next few weeks and having a case or paralysis by analysis…

Last edited:

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have the large iKamper on the roof rack from BlackSheep.
I’m thinking I may go this route. Doing the math I’m just 1-2 cm’s from fitting in the garage with the iKamper mounted using the Ineos rack. Any chance I could trouble you to measure the height of your setup with the tent mounted?

MarkusN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
I’m thinking I may go this route. Doing the math I’m just 1-2 cm’s from fitting in the garage with the iKamper mounted using the Ineos rack. Any chance I could trouble you to measure the height of your setup with the tent mounted?

Hi Andiamo
The roof rack from BlackSheep including mounting parts rests directly on the rubber roof rails of the Grenadier.
This is 36 mm high. The height of the iKamper Skycamp 3.0 is specified as 35 cm. This results in a total height from the rubber roof rails of 39 cm (rounded up).

Kaj

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
I have the large iKamper on the roof rack from BlackSheep.
Can I ask which specific model of the SkyCamp3.0 you have? I’m trying to get an RTT that will work with the Leitner 3/4 roof rack and keep the use of my safari windows, like you have done. It looks like maybe you have the Skycamp 3.0 Mini, but can’t tell for certain. Thanks!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
Can I ask which specific model of the SkyCamp3.0 you have? I’m trying to get an RTT that will work with the Leitner 3/4 roof rack and keep the use of my safari windows, like you have done. It looks like maybe you have the Skycamp 3.0 Mini, but can’t tell for certain. Thanks!
Hmm… is the ARB Esperance an option?

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was finally able to test fit my iKamper with the Leitner roof bars (vs full rack). They offer some custom brackets to make installing and removing the tent much quicker, but first I needed to make sure it would make it back out of the garage. This is the full size iKamper for reference and clears the safari windows.

Attachments

• IMG_8018.jpeg
    IMG_8018.jpeg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8012.jpeg
    IMG_8012.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 32

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was finally able to test fit my iKamper with the Leitner roof bars (vs full rack). They offer some custom brackets to make installing and removing the tent much quicker, but first I needed to make sure it would make it back out of the garage. This is the full size iKamper for reference and clears the safari windows.
The height fits well in the garage! :)

Kaj

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
Very nice! Is it the full size two person sky camp 3.0 (“skycamp 3.0 2x”)?

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Very nice! Is it the full size two person sky camp 3.0 (“skycamp 3.0 2x”)?
It’s the previous generation full size. Folds out into the equivalent of a king size mattress. I joke that it’s like a Harry Potter tent with as much room as it has when folded out.

Back
Top Bottom