The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadiers Towing

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
Could you explain how that might happen ?
What chain of events would cause such a major failure of the towing system ?

You do seem to have a very interesting and vivid imagination.
You don't need any imagination to see the consequences of anything like this happening, if anyone remembers this case...
2738A2B600000578-3023301-image-m-136_1427987507509.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did that come with all 6 holes drilled as the website only shows 4.
Type approval will only be maintained if this method of attachment falls within the type approval scope (sort of stating the obvious); but I only see this being legal for an M1 if it's attached with the 4 x M16(?) bolts it's indicating as needing:
Screenshot_20230711_085301.jpg

And then to fit the 4 x M16 bolts would mean altering the Grenadier's Vertical Towing Interface, which would then invalidate the Type Approval of that element of the overall towing mechanism.

Do 2 of the M12(?) bolts go through M16 holes?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Type approval will only be maintained if this method of attachment falls within the type approval scope (sort of stating the obvious); but I only see this being legal for an M1 if it's attached with the 4 x M16(?) bolts it's indicating as needing:
View attachment 7819655

And then to fit the 4 x M16 bolts would mean altering the Grenadier's Vertical Towing Interface, which would then invalidate the Type Approval of that element of the overall towing mechanism.

I’ve emailed TrailerTek nr Winchester to ask about this issue re M1 vehicles. I’ll let you all know their response

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On Thursday I trailered a very heavy Silver Ghost from North Yorkshire to Suffolk and back last night, 530 miles round trip and very close to the maximum 3.5 tonne limit and it behaved impeccably - 15.5mpg and max speed 50mph. Had to fit a Dixon Bate adjustable drop plate to lower the tow ball. Overall delighted! PS - lots of the normal warnings as usual, eCall predominantly.View attachment 7819522
John can you send link or picture for drop plate I need one and don't want to buy wrong one cheers

Reactions: PBD
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7819655

The Image seems to show 6 bolts used I can't find that variant has someone drilled 2 additional holes in the fixture? Did Bradley go bankrupt in 2019 and got picked up by AL KO?

Local time
Reaction score
You don't need any imagination to see the consequences of anything like this happening, if anyone remembers this case...
View attachment 7819653

That's a 'consequence' not a 'reason'.
The reason it happened is because the towing system failed.

The engineer in me wants to know why the system failed. If indeed it did.

In that photo the trailer stabilisers are deployed.
The jockey wheel is up.
The hitch lock is still attached and empty (so it didn't rip the ball off) and the handbrake is off, so it was possibly being towed (or pulled at least).

The 110 is a late 300tdi or early TD5 (by the snorkle and the style of wing indicator lamps) and is relatively old as that bull bar is ilegal now.
I can't see the safety tie so I assume that is also either stowed or snapped off.
I'd say that was operator error, the hitch wasn't 'snapped' shut on the ball, the driver pulled away and the stabilisers caught on something and flipped the nose up dislocating the trailor from the vehicle.
Either that or some kids took the brake off and pushed it down the hill.

@DCPU what I was looking for was an explanation (from you) of the chain of events that you could imagine that would lead to the PP losing his trailor and Rolls Royce from the back of his Grenny when using an adjustable DB towball.

For example:
Do you think the adjustable plate (which is rated for a 5 tonne pull would rip off ?
Would the Grenny hitch reciever break or pull out of its mounting ?
Would the Avonride hitch fail (it is only held on to the trailers A frame with with 2 x 12mm bolts) ?
Would the 2 pins holding the adjuster plate sympatheicaly snap ?

I asked why do you think the tow system would fail ?
Not, look what happens if and when it does.

How do you go anywhere or do anything ?

Assesment and mitigation of risk with an element of mechanical sympathy sprinkled with common sense.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Too far off topic for me now...this is supposed to be a photo thread of Grenadiers towing, with the odd off topic comment greasing the wheels.

Feel free to take your comments to one of the more technical threads:

Local time
Reaction score
Too far off topic for me now...<snip>

My respose to your post (https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/grenadiers-towing.12411928/post-1333196696) above was to answer the fact that you have been unabler to provide any real reason why you believe that people shouldn't fit 'alternative' tow systems to a Grenny because 'if they do their insurance will be void and their loads will fall off'....
Which IMO is scaremongering.
You have questioned and cast doubt on everything others have said yet seem unable to provide factual/logical information yourself.
When you ewere asked to explain why you thought a trailer/load would fall off you posted a picture of an old(ish) 110 and a trailor stating that this was the 'consequence'.
I asked ... What chain of events would cause such a major failure of the towing system ?

Your answer is ... "Too far off topic for me now.."
I provided my explanation to the 110/trailor pic - what's yours ?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
whats the web of black tape trying to achieve?

Back
Top Bottom