The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadiers Towing

Local time
4:49 AM
Reaction score
The Dixon boat on my 110 required for fixing bolts and to stay bars to the rear chassis rails. So how are you managed to get it fitted on a Grenadier I don’t know

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:49 PM
Reaction score
I had this height adjustable towbar on my Defender. My trailers had different drawbar heights. So in that respect I was very satisfied.

However, it has one major disadvantage. Whenever I drove off the road up a steep embankment onto my field, it scraped the tarmac and made two ruts. That certainly did neither the trailer coupling nor the entire suspension any good in the long run.
I will not mount it again.

Reactions: PBD
Local time
Reaction score
I had this height adjustable towbar on my Defender. My trailers had different drawbar heights. So in that respect I was very satisfied.

However, it has one major disadvantage. Whenever I drove off the road up a steep embankment onto my field, it scraped the tarmac and made two ruts. That certainly did neither the trailer coupling nor the entire suspension any good in the long run.
I will not mount it again.
But it had the supports to the chassis members didn't it .

Local time
Reaction score
The Dixon boat on my 110 required for fixing bolts and to stay bars to the rear chassis rails. So how are you managed to get it fitted on a Grenadier I don’t know

Eh ?
Are you thinking that the existing tow plate on a Grenny isn't already connected to the chassis ?
What's it bolted to then ?
The undertray or the 'boot' floor ??

Local time
Reaction score
How do you get over the conformity/emark issues with the drop plate what would the insurance say if the Ghost dropped off the back??

Could you explain how that might happen ?
What chain of events would cause such a major failure of the towing system ?

You do seem to have a very interesting and vivid imagination.

Local time
Reaction score
Eh ?
Are you thinking that the existing tow plate on a Grenny isn't already connected to the chassis ?
What's it bolted to then ?
The undertray or the 'boot' floor ??
It is connected to the rear crossmember but the bending moment is large hence the "stays " on the 110 old version for triangulation /load distribution.

Local time
Reaction score
It is connected to the rear crossmember but the bending moment is large hence the "stays " on the 110 old version for triangulation /load distribution.

The S factor is almost double that of a 110 (Mk1) landrover so the actual shear point is likely be well above the tensile strength offered by the 2mm thick box section chassis and x-member of the 110.
2mm was new, most 110's i've seen (and worked on) are less than that and the rear x-member can often be bent out of shape with an 18" adjustable wrench as it (like the chassis) is a real tin-worm magnet.

The Grenny advertises a 3.5mm thick chassis, so has a significant advantage over an old 110.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It does doesn't it - I will phone Denton Cars in the morning and ask ...
I take it that must be a class N1 Grenny ?
No I thought his vehicle was a Fieldmaster

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Could you explain how that might happen ?
What chain of events would cause such a major failure of the towing system ?

You do seem to have a very interesting and vivid imagination.
That's irrelevant it is either certified (lawful) or it's not.

Local time
Reaction score
That's irrelevant it is either certified (lawful) or it's not.
Yes Eric even if it does not fail it it does not have the right ticket and the vehicle is in an accident (blow out or roll over) the insurance company will walk away and you may be liable to prosecution
as you say its right or not.

Back
Top Bottom