The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:20 PM
Reaction score
Im wondering if a tune would improve mpgs
I'm running a chipyourcar.com chip in my Grenadier for a BMW X4 twin turbo and (if the center display is to be believed) I'm seeing 19+ mpg in the city.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
I'm running a chipyourcar.com chip in my Grenadier for a BMW X4 twin turbo and (if the center display is to be believed) I'm seeing 19+ mpg in the city.
Whoa. Is that safe? Isn’t the X4 a 4-cylinder?

Local time
Reaction score
Computer mpg or notebook, pencil, and calculator mpg? I figure it's possible auto CPU's utilize more advanced math based on non euclidean geometry and imaginary numbers, to bend space time and add 15% to every reading I've gotten... either that or they lie. It could be one or the other, I'm not sure. I've been too busy trying to tune the mathamatical bagpipe and come with the same answers as the cpu. .

Local time
Reaction score
Certainly not safe enough to post on a public forum 🫤 that IA looks at daily.
Outside of them actually having to prove the action taken for any case, (he could just say he's bullshitting), I think you may be overestimating their level of customer "give a shit".

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Outside of them actually having to prove the action taken for any case, (he could just say he's bullshitting), I think you may be overestimating their level of customer "give a shit".
You would hope, but there's been a good number of news stories where social media posts (mainly videos though) have been used by manufacturers against warranty claims. Here's ONE I pulled basically at random.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would venture to say that the actual gains are non-existent with this style programmer, especially seeing how many cars they offer it for, there is (almost) no way they are keeping up with ECU encryption and updated base calibrations for all those vehicles, specifically for how inexpensive it is

Edit: I say this based on 15+ years of doing performance engine and/or transmission flashes almost daily on a wide array of European vehicles and being personally involved with testing of calibrations for a number of my personal vehicles; including "piggyback" and plug & play programmers, in-car and on-the-bench flashing, standalone engine management tuning, and even sold school socketed and soldered ECU chips. The sheer number of hours that go into getting a calibration correct for a specific ECU/DME code (and not just the ECU part number, but also the OEM revision number) can be maddening. Not in getting power numbers, as that is the quick and easy part; but in fine tuning part throttle and drivability and reliability. I've spent dozens (probably into the hundreds) of hours on a dyno, and certainly hundreds on the road doing countless data logs to ensure OEM style (or usually better) drivability from a non-factory calibration; you can't make that financial outflow back at $75/ea.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
I've chipped my diesel....when it comes to the crunch these are best20240325_223142.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
You would hope, but there's been a good number of news stories where social media posts (mainly videos though) have been used by manufacturers against warranty claims. Here's ONE I pulled basically at random.
well... read this... "When he spoke to someone at the dealer the next morning, Luke said he told them what happened and noted he had a video of what happened."

When I wrote "prove" I meant. "Dont leave evidence", let alone, "See? Here's me racing the car when I blew it up".

And we're not talking BS reasons to turn down a claim, like hayundai does with their 2l turbos with soft rings. We're taking gumshoe work here. Every time someone comes in for a warranty claim, there isn't a service manager scouring the internet for fake avatar aliases trying to cross reverence them to a person or location to see if a VIN will match a post. Not to mention they would STILL have to prove he actually did something. I mean, all he has to do to claim he was blowing smoke up our ass, is point out he claimed a legit 37% increase in MPG with a chip tune.. :)

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I have been admiring the Land Cruiser 2024 UK model. The Prado I believe most people would know it as.

The First Edition with the two tone paintwork and round retro headlights looks very smart.

HOWEVER…I saw yesterday that the pricing structure has been released, and I would say it’s popped a few people’s bubbles, after the usual Internet and YouTube experts said it would only cost £50-55K I think I saw Carwow raised the steaks to £60k. So when I saw the first two models are £75k and £80k respectively, any thought of possibly buying one turned into….f**k that !!.

I know this might upset some but I paid £63k (early adopter) for my fully loaded Trialmaster, and I certainly wouldn’t pay anymore for either vehicle.

Will be interesting to see how popular it is at that price.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
People might want a Grenadier , but their work/spouse etc won't allow them. So they'll buy something else , not necessarily a direct competitor.
They're totally different , vehicles for a start.
Hi Tazzieman, I happened to see a New Land Cruiser when driving to Ventura the other day. It looks amazing. Just as the Grenadier had me at Hello, many will have the exact same experience on their first viewing of the New Land Cruiser. I predict it will be extremely successful. It's wonderful to see great design, whether it's a New Grenadier, New Land Cruiser, New Defender or for that matter any great vehicle! The more the merrier! DaBull

Local time
12:20 AM
Reaction score
These vehicles are so expensive they are out of reach for many people. £80,000 is a lot of money for a "normal" person.

The only way to make it more affordable is to put it though a business like l did with my Defender Commercial, straightaway l received £14,000 tax rebate and if l was VAT registered (which sadly l am not) l could have claimed that back as well.

FlyingTrotter

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hoping to get one - yes it’s a good £10k above most estimates I saw in the UK - have an expression of interest down and the dealer will know his allocation in 2nd week of May

You might be right that the price will make it easier to secure a vehicle - not sure how many of the 3k are coming to the UK

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
Interesting pricing for the Landcruiser in the UK. In North America the Landcruiser and the new Lexus GX have starting prices below the Grenadier. The GX 550 Overtrail starts at US$69,250 and the Grenadier US$71,500. In Alaska these are selling for a US$5500 Dealer premium over MSRP, and will probably stay that way for awhile throughout the USA.
Toyota will sell TONS of these…

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting the pricing for the Landcruiser in the UK. In North America the Landcruiser and the new Lexus GX have starting prices below the Grenadier. Toyota will sell TONS of these…
And even if those twins eat into the 4Runner sales, between the three name plates Toyota will struggle to keep up!

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I have been admiring the Land Cruiser 2024 UK model. The Prado I believe most people would know it as.

The First Edition with the two tone paintwork and round retro headlights looks very smart.

HOWEVER…I saw yesterday that the pricing structure has been released, and I would say it’s popped a few people’s bubbles, after the usual Internet and YouTube experts said it would only cost £50-55K I think I saw Carwow raised the steaks to £60k. So when I saw the first two models are £75k and £80k respectively, any thought of possibly buying one turned into….f**k that !!.

I know this might upset some but I paid £63k (early adopter) for my fully loaded Trialmaster, and I certainly wouldn’t pay anymore for either vehicle.

Will be interesting to see how popular it is at that price.
And the B57 Grenadier engine is in a different class to the Toyota 2.8.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
And the B57 Grenadier engine is in a different class to the Toyota 2.8.
And the Lexus is not a 4-cylinder hybrid like the new 4 Runner and Landcruiser. The GX Lexus engine:
“twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, port and direct fuel injection
Displacement: 210 in3, 3445 cm3
Power: 349 hp @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 479 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm”

I’d prefer a compacted graphite iron block (CGI) like BMW uses, but I wouldn’t doubt the durability of a Toyota powerplant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom