The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
If I was born into the Toyota Landcruiser culture it would be a hard thing for me to swing away but fortunately, I am not and wasn't even thinking of purchasing a new car until I started hearing the Ineos conversation. I am an old Landrover owner, so hearing of Jim's idea of a new chapter of an old idea appealed to my heart, brain, and curiosity. It is a modern take on the old and make it better. That unfortunately came at a price when we had to cater to the regulators, safety? and the list is long but I am happy with the decision I made and did not compare it to any other car because I was enthralled in the vision and the actions taken with styling and engineering in the six years or so to produce what is a modern take and retro of an old school vehicle. Call me a sucker for the new but when you look at it, not much is, all the workings have proven records but not without issues...the warranties are good and the vehicle is brilliant...The Trialmaster B57 (y)

reauxheaux

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
For the US market at least, this sounds like bad news/timing for Ineos. 01Aug2023 is the announcement date for the newly redesigned/reintroduced Land Cruiser.

Im assuming it’ll be hard to get one in the beginning but it should be exciting.

Will this affect your Grenadier decision? I guess we’ll know more after the 1st.
People who are buying a Grenadier already had plenty of luxury options to choose from. Some will cross shop, but the Grenadier is a niche vehicle that the Toyota doesn't fill.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wow, very underwhelming. I thought at least the 1st edition would have some FJ Cruiser Ironman, or 4Runner TRD Pro type vibes to it.
I have never been super wowed by the LC250, but having the configurator/pricing online has furthered my "meh" feeling about it. I understand that plenty of people will be all over it, and it will definitely be interesting to see how the actual pricing works out when they hit dealers, especially the First Edition units

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have never been super wowed by the LC250, but having the configurator/pricing online has furthered my "meh" feeling about it. I understand that plenty of people will be all over it, and it will definitely be interesting to see how the actual pricing works out when they hit dealers, especially the First Edition units
Are you suggesting Toyota dealers will add some "market adjustments?" 🤣

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you suggesting Toyota dealers will add some "market adjustments?" 🤣
Of course not, that's never something they've been known to do!

For what it's worth, I've purchased 3 Toyotas over the past 5 years, all of which were substantially below MSRP, all of which were also purchased before this overlanding/truck craze took off 3 years ago haha

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, they have not released GVW yet. Towing capacity is a whopping 6,000 pounds.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, they have not released GVW yet. Towing capacity is a whopping 6,000 pounds.
GVWR is listed in the spec section of the Toyota website. 6,725lbs for 1958 or base, 6,835lbs for First Edition. They only list "minimum" curb weight (which I would guess is a 1958 with no options) of 5,037.5lbs. Very odd that they are specific down to the half pound.

Oddly, they list 8.0" of ground clearance for all LC250 trim levels, despite them having different tire sizes

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
GVWR is listed in the spec section of the Toyota website. 6,725lbs for 1958 or base, 6,835lbs for First Edition. They only list "minimum" curb weight (which I would guess is a 1958 with no options) of 5,037.5lbs. Very odd that they are specific down to the half pound.

Oddly, they list 8.0" of ground clearance for all LC250 trim levels, despite them having different tire sizes
anand - would you mind putting a link here to that information as I am unable to find it on the Toyota Webiste.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:05 PM
Reaction score
Here is a interesting outside comparison between the Lexus GX and the Grenadier. It's all superficial but you see how massive the Grenadier really is.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/4hFONzKO2dM?si=ErzleiN_GTYY4iEq
Bah
Again, a comparison of a SUV with a UV. It's not the same. Other purpose and other market in my opinion. I don't see me putting all my tools in the back of a Lexus and driving off to a client in my work-gear and safety shoes to go and fix something, deliver something or doing a montage at a muddy building site.
Just the same that I don't want to do this with a New Defender. I could do it with my old original Defender, but than I have problems with the low emission zone's.

It's also a matter of perception from the client to your company. I need a workhorse, not a fancy yuppie car or mall crawler. The cost of the vehicle could be the same, or the Grenadier cost maybe even more, but the perception and appreciation of your client will be completely different.

Local time
Reaction score
If you ask the question, "What does the Gren do that the LC 250 can't", That answer doesn't go Ienos's way in any objective sense. And then you throw in 20g cheaper WITH modern electronic comfort and conveniences, well, that doesn't help.

The irony being of course, the initial appeal of the Gren was "back to cheap simplicity" and "function before form", and "gonna be 10,000 cheaper than the Defender" and now the strongest reason to buy the Gren isn't objective, it's emotional appeal. If the extra mass of the Gren translated into 500 more pounds of payload and the ability to pull the ubiquitous 10,000lb car trailer, this would not even be a post. The Gren would be a work truck for the civilized man. But, if the LC/GX units have basically the same load/tow/cuft, and they are mall crawlers, then really so is a gren. :/

Local time
Reaction score
Of course not, that's never something they've been known to do!

For what it's worth, I've purchased 3 Toyotas over the past 5 years, all of which were substantially below MSRP, all of which were also purchased before this overlanding/truck craze took off 3 years ago haha
Ah, a different world today. On the main Toyota site today, if you click on any trim level (1958 or First edition) and then inventory, two vehicles come up. At a Manhattan dealer... $22,000 markup for paint protection plus "Dealer Price Adjustment" for $97,000 total

Local time
Reaction score
Apropos of not much, but since we were comparing, I was curious about the last true work SUV in the US. Looking I think that was the 2014 3/4 ton Yukon . 6400 curb weight, 10000lg towing, 2500lb payload, gas sucking v8 which looks oddly close to the gren in mpg. hm. :/

Local time
Reaction score
Ah, a different world today. On the main Toyota site today, if you click on any trim level (1958 or First edition) and then inventory, two vehicles come up. At a Manhattan dealer... $22,000 markup for paint protection plus "Dealer Price Adjustment" for $97,000 total
ZOIKS

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
There is a lot of talk about the extra mass of the Grenadier, but has anyone stopped to consider where it is and why?

Check out the axels, the (wax filled) chassis, feel those body panels. These are all larger, heavier components than the other tin cans on wheels irrespect of ability, that weight is a level of toughness we wanted. But obviously it comes at a price.

There is a design check box list, some items on the list are diametrically opposed, each choice impacts another and often times you cannot tick both. Which is the one you want. To me, they ticked the right boxes

Back
Top Bottom