The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
it will never be a huge seller
Soccer moms dont want it, it doesnt have cred yet in the rap/celebrity world, its too expensive for most of the Wrangler/Bronco crowd, and the average well to do man wants a BMW.
The first line, totally agree, it is specifically not intended to be a huge seller (in terms of actual unit numbers)

The second, you'd be surprised. I can't even try to quantify the number of spouses of reservation holders that jumped in to drive on the PTO2 tour and by the end of the lap were sold on it. One enjoyed part of the LA course so much that I used her descriptor of an obstacle for the rest of the events (the "Mall Parking Lot Escape").

As far as the rap/celebrity world, completely agree, so far.

The Wrangler/Bronco crowd I think you're wrong on. I don't think a single day of the PTO2 tour went by that I didn't have at least one or two clients who either owned a Bronco or had a Bronco on order. And a well spec'd Wrangler Rubicon isn't that far off in pricing, especially with a few comfort modifications done it it, especially when you're talking about 2021-era hyper inflated West Coast pricing.

The average well-to-do man, based on reservation holders and their associates that they brought as plus ones, would want either a Ranger Rover, or, now, want a Grenadier specifically because none of their other friends/acquaintances have one, and to the uninformed person, looks vaguely similar to a G-wagen for a fraction of the cost.
I hate the plastic front. Hate that the defender did it. Renders keep showing this with one.
I'm as close to 100% as I can be with saying the LC Prado (or whatever moniker it will have in the US), will have plastic bumpers. As far as I know the only Toyota truck that still has a metal front bumper might be a 70 series? Unless they have switched to plastic as well.

Local time
10:44 AM
Reaction score
The first line, totally agree, it is specifically not intended to be a huge seller (in terms of actual unit numbers)

The second, you'd be surprised. I can't even try to quantify the number of spouses of reservation holders that jumped in to drive on the PTO2 tour and by the end of the lap were sold on it. One enjoyed part of the LA course so much that I used her descriptor of an obstacle for the rest of the events (the "Mall Parking Lot Escape").

The Wrangler/Bronco crowd I think you're wrong on. I don't think a single day of the PTO2 tour went by that I didn't have at least one or two clients who either owned a Bronco or had a Bronco on order. And a well spec'd Wrangler Rubicon isn't that far off in pricing, especially with a few comfort modifications done it it, especially when you're talking about 2021-era hyper inflated West Coast pricing.

The average well-to-do man, based on reservation holders and their associates that they brought as plus ones, would want either a Ranger Rover, or, now, want a Grenadier specifically because none of their other friends/acquaintances have one, and to the uninformed person, looks vaguely similar to a G-wagen for a fraction of the cost.

I'm as close to 100% as I can be with saying the LC Prado (or whatever moniker it will have in the US), will have plastic bumpers. As far as I know the only Toyota truck that still has a metal front bumper might be a 70 series? Unless they have switched to plastic as well.
The new Tacoma (at least two trims) will have an ARB steel rear bumper from the factory but plastic front. Although there is generally a ton of aftermarket options for Tacos.

Will be interesting to see if the U.S. Land Cruiser follows suit.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Let’s wait and see.

It doesn’t make sense that the GX is the same / bigger size as the 300. What would be the point of having both. And then the Prado would be bigger than the 300 as well (as the 200 is, at least internally it feels).
Don't forget the 4runner still needs to be released. So you havee the gx, the LC and 4 runner.

Local time
Reaction score

There is a big difference between loving the test drive and plunking down 85k and actually owning it. NOT "I cant wait to drive my husbands Grenadier."
There is a difference.

Ok, upper spec Bronco, like the Raptor or the 392 Rubicon can probably afford the Grenadier, but there are only a handful of those running around.
95% of the Bronco/Wrangler crowd your looking at a 25 to 35k difference.
C'mon.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Depends on a few things. Its traction control will definitely be better and I wouldn’t be surprised if its ground clearance is, too. I’m sure bang for the buck it’s the better option. However I really don’t like the plastic front ends on everything. My Disco V is the most amazing vehicle I’ve ever owned and I hate the plastic front. Hate that the defender did it. Renders keep showing this with one. It might sound small but it’s where everything starts and I always seem to rub one up.
I agree regarding the heavy use of plastics these days. Speaking of small points, one of the things that sold me on the IG was the fact that the checker plating on the front fenders are load bearing and functional vs. the fake a$$ plastic fender checkering on the new Defender.

Will I ever climb up on the fender, IDK but I like that they’re real and functional vs. a poser decoration. 😂😜

LIke others here, what worries me is the IG support infrastructure that’s yet to be announced. I think that’s where Toyota really shines…that and their reputation for reliability.

I never cared for the looks of the Toyota 4x4s…not unless it had a bed mounted DSHK on the back😂😂

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Will I ever climb up on the fender, IDK but I like that they’re real and functional vs. a poser decoratio😂😂

Yeah, they sure are. When I was obviously craning to see the top of the roof and safari windows and gutters at the test drive event here, one of the organizers casually said, "just jump up on the bumper and stand on the fenders if you want to ... that's what they're for". Well you don't have to invite me twice! Scrambled up, shuffled about. So did the organizer, onto the other fender. As you say, maybe I won't use that "feature" but you know it's there and that means the truck is well built in ways that are apparently uncommon today. (y)

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
People might want a Grenadier , but their work/spouse etc won't allow them. So they'll buy something else , not necessarily a direct competitor.
They're totally different , vehicles for a start.

My partner wouldn't let me buy a 4Runner so...

Will I ever climb up on the fender, IDK but I like that they’re real and functional vs. a poser decoration. 😂😜

I use the flat fenders of Jeeps and FJ40s to put my tools on. The fenders are a real plus on the Grenadier as well. If I can stand on them to make strapping gear to the roof easier I will. Tell me I'm not the only one?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
The fenders are a real plus on the Grenadier as well. If I can stand on them to make strapping gear to the roof easier I will. Tell me I'm not the only one?
There's not much foot/gear room and a bit of a stretch to tie things/ get to things.
Hence I skipped that option and spent my money in the spare wheel box.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There's not much foot/gear room and a bit of a stretch to tie things/ get to things.
That and I didn't want holes drilled through these body panels.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was admittedly on the fence, but once I realized they were dealer install and not from factory, I passed.

Local time
Reaction score
I was admittedly on the fence, but once I realized they were dealer install and not from factory, I passed.
I did not know that.
I probably would not have ordered them had I known.
I would suppose I can pass on having them actually installed?

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

I've got a pretty wide wingspan so for me it likely won't be an issue. Example: Pulling a canoe forward will be much easier from the fenders. The tires are just too far under the flares for comfortable footing.

That and I didn't want holes drilled through these body panels.
We didn't order them for this reason. I will examine and see if it's possible to glue them in place using something reversible like RTV, polyurethane, or silicone before I consider drilling. It's not like the plates will take heavy glancing blows as they would on the side of the vehicle. I'll likely use a material of my own choosing anyway. There's always the option of having someone tig weld the plates on - or weld up any holes that get drilled later on.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
I've got a pretty wide wingspan so for me it likely won't be an issue. Example: Pulling a canoe forward will be much easier from the fenders. The tires are just too far under the flares for comfortable footing.

We didn't order them for this reason. I will examine and see if it's possible to glue them in place using something reversible like RTV, polyurethane, or silicone before I consider drilling. It's not like the plates will take heavy glancing blows as they would on the side of the vehicle. I'll likely use a material of my own choosing anyway. There's always the option of having someone tig weld the plates on - or weld up any holes that get drilled later on.
I ordered the checker plates to protect the wings from damage when someone rests or places something on top of them.
They are wide flat surfaces and I can guarantee a bag, cup or small child will be placed on them sooner or later.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I ordered the checker plates to protect the wings from damage when someone rests or places something on top of them.
They are wide flat surfaces and I can guarantee a bag, cup or small child will be placed on them sooner or later.
That is where you can have a piece of ppf added.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:44 PM
Reaction score
Four or six cylinders: a v6 will never be able to hold a candle to a straight six.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree regarding the heavy use of plastics these days. Speaking of small points, one of the things that sold me on the IG was the fact that the checker plating on the front fenders are load bearing and functional vs. the fake a$$ plastic fender checkering on the new Defender.

LIke others here, what worries me is the IG support infrastructure that’s yet to be announced. I think that’s where Toyota really shines…that and their reputation for reliability.

I never cared for the looks of the Toyota 4x4s…not unless it had a bed mounted DSHK on the back😂😂
I’ll be on the fenders all the time. I’m always standing in the back bead of a truck when hunting or fishing. I’ll do the same. That front left one is going to have wear marks on it lol

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Problem is you’re at the mercy of the paint.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Another thing on this is the Toyota reliability is basically based on the engine and the BMW is known. The new Toyota hybrids aren’t and while I like the idea of a land cruiser I don’t see how a battery hybrid can last as long. I’m 41 yrs old and the Grenadier could last me the rest of my years (with a backup vehicle). I just don’t have faith in long term ownership of hybrids. I really hope I’m wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom