The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
The new LC and GX just have way too much plastic and look goofy with insect-like aftermarket bumpers. Yes, they are a Toyota, but they do not offer the durable build I want and are not where I would spend my money.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Like a little brother to the Landcruiser 300
But on the same frame, and same wheelbase, and same engine/trans... (again, this is all assuming the "new" LC Prado will be based on the GX550)

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If Toyota is smart it will have a removable top.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not likely. Safety reg’s and roof rack loads.
I know, but a man can dream. Jeep needs a real competitor and a convertible Toyota would fit the bill.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
Depends. What size is the body, what motor, got 3 locking diffs, and more questions. I have heard it will have a 4 cylinder engine. I have no desire to have a 4Runner sized LC with a 4 cylinder engine. That is a big step backwards for me. Now a 70’s series cruiser might make a difference.
Twin Turbo 6

Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
My only problem with the Grenadier is the small number of service centers. With the new model and lots of small issues, I've decided to wait a couple of years before picking one up, and hopefully the dealer network will expand by that point and/or the small bugs will be worked out.

I don't mind small issues like the software stuff, but with a dealer 4 hours away, a potential number of trips for small things pushed me to delay. When I reserved in 2021, I was under the impression they'd have Bosch service centers all over, and for now, that does not appear to be the case. The idea of 8 hour round trip service, hotels etc., made me decide to hold off temporarily. Looking forward to getting one in a couple model years.

Toyota has the established footprint and history of quality. Other than a full restoration/rebuild of an old FJ40, I've driven over 2 million miles in Toyotas with only maintenance (tires, fluids, brakes, belts, bulbs, carb upkeep), frozen calipers on a used 03 4Runner, an under-greased wheel bearing out of the factory (warranty), a pushed out cable on a harness that kept wipers on (warranty San Antonio built Tundra), a rattling airbag on a 99 Tacoma covered under warranty (and the Takata issue, but don't blame Toyota for that one) and a cool box fan (2011 200 Series $300 repair at dealer). A history of quality goes along way, especially out of their Japanese plants.

The new U.S. Land Cruiser is basically the same size as the 200 (as in the new GX). Not sure on weight, but it is going to be a good sized vehicle. If it gets the TTV6 and same rear locker as the GX and the Torsen FT-4WD system, it could sell well. If they keep the price point between 50 and 70k (top end full spec), it will be a home run. Hopefully it will also be built in Japan.

It won't have a removable top (Toyota has said for years that they won't do it due to legal liability), and it won't have a solid front axle.

The Heritage late model 200s with low mileage are selling around the $100k mark. And the LX600 is the same. If they can take a very similar frame (TNGA-F) and offer a decent off roader for a much lower price, Toyota will have found a real winner. Will I sell my 200 series for one? Not any time soon.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My only problem with the Grenadier is the small number of service centers. With the new model and lots of small issues, I've decided to wait a couple of years before picking one up, and hopefully the dealer network will expand by that point and/or the small bugs will be worked out.
That is a valid concern, but a Toyota is simply not what I want to own or drive. I've read this forum deeply and not found anything to put my purchase off, but we all have different triggers. I chose my configuration very carefully, plus, with an optimistic 9+ months delivery, Ineos has a lot of time to resolve issues.

I'm really hoping for a few trips for Summer 2024!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
The new U.S. Land Cruiser is basically the same size as the 200 (as in the new GX). Not sure on weight, but it is going to be a good sized vehicle. If it gets the TTV6 and same rear locker as the GX and the Torsen FT-4WD system, it could sell well. If they keep the price point between 50 and 70k (top end full spec), it will be a home run. Hopefully it will also be built in Japan.
I wouldn't bet on that.
I don't think it will be as big as the 300, and that is and feels smaller than the 200.
I'm thinking it will be a bit bigger than the current Prado.
That said, that'll make it about the same size as the Grenadier.

Local time
Reaction score
I wouldn't bet on that.
I don't think it will be as big as the 300, and that is and feels smaller than the 200.
I'm thinking it will be a bit bigger than the current Prado.
That said, that'll make it about the same size as the Grenadier.
They announced the size of the GX and it is as wide and and same wheelbase as the 200.

Local time
Reaction score
The Landcruiser GX in US Spec is the new Prado from Australia from what I read.
That is what has been communicated, and both are much larger than the prior GX, which is the Lexus version of the Prado.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
That is what has been communicated, and both are much larger than the prior GX, which is the Lexus version of the Prado.
Let’s wait and see.

It doesn’t make sense that the GX is the same / bigger size as the 300. What would be the point of having both. And then the Prado would be bigger than the 300 as well (as the 200 is, at least internally it feels).

Local time
Reaction score
Let’s wait and see.

It doesn’t make sense that the GX is the same / bigger size as the 300. What would be the point of having both. And then the Prado would be bigger than the 300 as well (as the 200 is, at least internally it feels).

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For the US market at least, this sounds like bad news/timing for Ineos. 01Aug2023 is the announcement date for the newly redesigned/reintroduced Land Cruiser.

Im assuming it’ll be hard to get one in the beginning but it should be exciting.

Will this affect your Grenadier decision? I guess we’ll know more after the 1st.
Depends on a few things. Its traction control will definitely be better and I wouldn’t be surprised if its ground clearance is, too. I’m sure bang for the buck it’s the better option. However I really don’t like the plastic front ends on everything. My Disco V is the most amazing vehicle I’ve ever owned and I hate the plastic front. Hate that the defender did it. Renders keep showing this with one. It might sound small but it’s where everything starts and I always seem to rub one up.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier is a niche vehicle.
it will never be a huge seller
It will sell like the H1 or the old Defender here.
Soccer moms dont want it, it doesnt have cred yet in the rap/celebrity world, its too expensive for most of the Wrangler/Bronco crowd, and the average well to do man wants a BMW.
I dont think the LC will have that much impact on Grenadier sale, but what do I know?
I don’t really agree, no offense. In Texas people in Houston and Dallas will buy the Grenadier in droves IF they knew about them. I still wouldn’t be surprised if these keep their value. I was never the kid that could keep the toy in a box though.

Back
Top Bottom