The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Grenadier Test drive North America

Local time
10:01 PM
Reaction score
Looking forward to the test drive today in Maryland with the Grenadier and my buddy Robert (another member on this forum) Not expecting much since this will be in a controlled environment. I will have a few questions for them.
1. Since the Grenadier are in production why are they still called prototypes?
2. Can the owners manual (digital copy) be released from other parts of the world that are in production (e.g. UK for US market)?
3. When will the hydrogen car be released into production and will it only be release only in certain markets?
Ill reply latter to the thread with my updates and impression.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Looking forward to the test drive today in Maryland with the Grenadier and my buddy Robert (another member on this forum) Not expecting much since this will be in a controlled environment. I will have a few questions for them.
2. Can the owners manual (digital copy) be released from other parts of the world that are in production (e.g. UK for US market)?
3. When will the hydrogen car be released into production and will it only be release only in certain markets?
1. the cars in North America are still prototypes. There seems to be no production vehicle in the USA for test drives.
2. good question
3. as far as I understood the news from Ineos the hydrogen version is not on priority lane. Everything else seems to be more important as the infrastructure is not really sufficient by now.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think we know the answers to those already. Don't quote me though.
1-The trucks that are at the US drive events are prototypes because they are in fact prototypes. They were built before production versions started to be build.
2-The UK and ROW manuals are downloadable from their respective country's IA website. I believe they are not all the same though as there are some differences between the regions.
3-I think IA has pushed everything back.
From CARSCOOPS "“Fuel-cell electric vehicle for us is the right zero-emission option for this vehicle, but because of the infrastructure problems – there isn’t any – we can’t make a full bet on fuel-cell until we have more confidence that people can fill it up,” he said. “We will have a fuel-cell vehicle running around by mid-year, it has nothing to do with if fuel cell technology is there, it is [but there is no infrastructure].”

Local time
Reaction score
For US market only EPA standards still need to finalized thus we were not able to open the bonnet and look in side.
The owner's manual can be downloaded somewhere on the Internet according to what the instructors provided us.
The hydrogen vehicle is been placed on the back burner for now until they have full infrastructure to support.
As for the drive it was an interesting experience. When were you arrived we find the check in area where you sign legal requirements for driving the vehicle. Omce complete They have a huge tent with refreshments seating as well as a vehicle underneath to view. We were able to look inside at the ones on promise with the exception of not opening up the bonnet. We had a short driver's meeting to set the expectations and what we will be doing and we were assigned to an instructor from Overland Experts . We were allowed to pick which vehicle to go into and began our driving experience. My buddy Robert got to drive 1st due to his time slot. The instructor that he was paired with was a jerk. He kept on interrupting Robert several times while he was explaining his background in off road. Robert was not allowed to put the vehicle in manual shifting Thus the instructor Indicated to keep the RPM's up but the vehicle kept shifting into the next year lowering the RPM's. At the top of the hills there were sharp turns to left and sharp turns to the right thus the instructor indicated to Robert " keep on the gas the road will be there" well if he did we would roll the vehicle by accellerating over and missing the turn. Going downhill on steep descents They didn't allowed for the gearing to be in 1st or 2nd it was in Drive most of the time so you can imagine you're going fast down a very steep hill....keep in mind in low the vehicle goes up to about 35 miles per hour which is in about 7th gear. I would have rather have put it in 1st gear to let the engine and the transmission slow you down before for the next dip.
My test drive was next where I was able to put it in manual mode and shift manually going up-and-down hills and crawling down steep obstacles. My instructor was really cool but still was not able to use the front or rear lockers.
Needless to say not impressed with the driving instructions of Overland Experts.
Overall the vehicle performed extremely well. Very comfortable seats even in the back. Solid feel in the steering wheel. Heading into potholes at 10 miles per hour it didn't pull to the side of the impact it kept its line this is because of the reinforcements that they have put in the front axles in order to prevent torsion and impact twisting. You fortunately get to see this and other goodies where one of the vehicles is on an onramp (Attached). The front and rear skip plates are standard on all vehicles. The steering arms are extremely thick so it looks like it could take a big hit and still be fine. Funny enough we did see a drip of oil on that vehicle that was on the on ramp.
Hope this helps let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• 20230427_151203.jpg
    20230427_151203.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230427_144938.jpg
    20230427_144938.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 37
Local time
Reaction score
For US market only EPA standards still need to finalized thus we were not able to open the bonnet and look in side.
The owner's manual can be downloaded somewhere on the Internet according to what the instructors provided us.
The hydrogen vehicle is been placed on the back burner for now until they have full infrastructure to support.
As for the drive it was an interesting experience. When were you arrived we find the check in area where you sign legal requirements for driving the vehicle. Omce complete They have a huge tent with refreshments seating as well as a vehicle underneath to view. We were able to look inside at the ones on promise with the exception of not opening up the bonnet. We had a short driver's meeting to set the expectations and what we will be doing and we were assigned to an instructor from Overland Experts . We were allowed to pick which vehicle to go into and began our driving experience. My buddy Robert got to drive 1st due to his time slot. The instructor that he was paired with was a jerk. He kept on interrupting Robert several times while he was explaining his background in off road. Robert was not allowed to put the vehicle in manual shifting Thus the instructor Indicated to keep the RPM's up but the vehicle kept shifting into the next year lowering the RPM's. At the top of the hills there were sharp turns to left and sharp turns to the right thus the instructor indicated to Robert " keep on the gas the road will be there" well if he did we would roll the vehicle by accellerating over and missing the turn. Going downhill on steep descents They didn't allowed for the gearing to be in 1st or 2nd it was in Drive most of the time so you can imagine you're going fast down a very steep hill....keep in mind in low the vehicle goes up to about 35 miles per hour which is in about 7th gear. I would have rather have put it in 1st gear to let the engine and the transmission slow you down before for the next dip.
My test drive was next where I was able to put it in manual mode and shift manually going up-and-down hills and crawling down steep obstacles. My instructor was really cool but still was not able to use the front or rear lockers.
Needless to say not impressed with the driving instructions of Overland Experts.
Overall the vehicle performed extremely well. Very comfortable seats even in the back. Solid feel in the steering wheel. Heading into potholes at 10 miles per hour it didn't pull to the side of the impact it kept its line this is because of the reinforcements that they have put in the front axles in order to prevent torsion and impact twisting. You fortunately get to see this and other goodies where one of the vehicles is on an onramp (Attached). The front and rear skip plates are standard on all vehicles. The steering arms are extremely thick so it looks like it could take a big hit and still be fine. Funny enough we did see a drip of oil on that vehicle that was on the on ramp.
Sorry for the typos or wording tuff to do this from my phone via voice texting

Local time
Reaction score
@kramrover I had a similar experience yesterday. I drove entirely in 4L and wasn't allowed to test 4H or lockers. But halfway through the course, the OEX rep let me switch to manual because the prototype's 4L wasn't functioning properly. The course definitely had a couple pucker-inducing blind summit turns :ROFLMAO:

Local time
Reaction score

let us know how the foot well is and if your shoulder is bothered from the positioning of everything. that seemed to be a distraction from the rhd models

Local time
Reaction score
let us know how the foot well is and if your shoulder is bothered from the positioning of everything. that seemed to be a distraction from the rhd models
The foot well seemed fine with a shoe size of 14 (47 europe) . Everyone seems to complain about how close the peddles are to each other i had no problem. As for the seating, it was fine too. Seems i can drive very comfortably...no pain.

Local time
7:01 PM
Reaction score
So I go for the test drive Thursday the 4th in NY. Any info about pricing, delivery, ordering etc...at this event? I will also post my thoughts.

Probably not - pricing info is supposed to be released during the week of the 15th (I heard May 17th).

Have fun!

Local time
Reaction score
So I go for the test drive Thursday the 4th in NY. Any info about pricing, delivery, ordering etc...at this event? I will also post my thoughts.
I was going to go to this. it's not that far from me. ask about dealer network and honoring msrp

Local time
Reaction score
bonnet?!

Local time
Reaction score
Simple question - are these guys coming back to dc? (Missed this event) and - do I need to sign up advanced booking to get access to the vehicle if they show up?

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:01 PM
Reaction score
Simple question - are these guys coming back to dc? (Missed this event) and - do I need to sign up advanced booking to get access to the vehicle if they show up?
My understanding is it was a one-way trip. They're headed to Chicagoland and then to Canada (Toronto?).

Screenshot_20230310-080343.jpg

Invitation only for early "hand raisers" who paid the $450 placeholder deposit. Check your spam folder for email from Ineos if you didn't get it. If you've paid, and haven't gotten emails, call them and make sure the info they have is correct and that you're opted IN to all communications / emails. The registration process uses your email address from the existing database to verify that you're on the list of paid reservation holders.

Last edited:
Local time
9:01 PM
Reaction score
I tried to get an appointment in Chicago/Joilet for 2 weeks and never even got an email or call back. What the hell is going on here? I reserved a year ago and heard NOTHING.

mdg

Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So I never wrote my thoughts on the test drive in NY. I own now '93 Defender NAS and '13 Jeep 4DR Wrangler, I am qualified to judge. First of all (being an auto dealer myself) I had to remind myself that these were prototypes. Lots of different laws in every State not allowing a non-certified vehicle as that was the reason we drove on private land, I'm guessing. As a non production vehicle I thought the fit and finish was great inside and out. Good: Comfortable, rugged interior look, liked the control placement and really no squeaks or rattles. Driving was impressive as it was wet, slick and muddy. Yes, we just crawled along but no slippage and no gripes about how it performed. The room inside was better and bigger than expected and the ease of getting in and out excellent. Back seat room good too. I will not be using this vehicle in that way so my positives or negatives my not be useful to you. I like the exterior look, but needs bigger wheels and tires. Bad: 3 1/2 turns lock to lock, 1st turn almost hit a tree, there should be no reason for that as the radius is average. Rear visibility with spare not good, but who cares whats behind you! Also exterior color choice limited and not USA conducive, no bright white, no colorful colors. Do not know how it will perform on the road as I will use it for minimal road use and beach driving. I get nervous with a vehicle produce in France as my experience has not been pleasureful with that. A US$92K list for my spec order is pricey, but the first US production vehicles will tell the tale on ride, quality, fit, finish and performance. I think the US dealer network will be key and as a limited upscale customer should be treated as such. Valet service, parts availability, attention to detail, immediate servicing, service loaners and delivering a detailed service completed vehicle is what is expected so do not let us down. Finally, I believe Ineos factory communications have been good with me through email, but the NY test drive offered no new additional information. Communication is a big key to success. Open mind until I receive, After market accessory companies have an open book with the Grenadier and will report when mine arrives. I put my order in September of 2021 so I presume mine will be one of the first.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:01 PM
Reaction score
So I never wrote my thoughts on the test drive in NY. I own now '93 Defender NAS and '13 Jeep 4DR Wrangler, I am qualified to judge. First of all (being an auto dealer myself) I had to remind myself that these were prototypes. Lots of different laws in every State not allowing a non-certified vehicle as that was the reason we drove on private land, I'm guessing. As a non production vehicle I thought the fit and finish was great inside and out. Good: Comfortable, rugged interior look, liked the control placement and really no squeaks or rattles. Driving was impressive as it was wet, slick and muddy. Yes, we just crawled along but no slippage and no gripes about how it performed. The room inside was better and bigger than expected and the ease of getting in and out excellent. Back seat room good too. I will not be using this vehicle in that way so my positives or negatives my not be useful to you. I like the exterior look, but needs bigger wheels and tires. Bad: 3 1/2 turns lock to lock, 1st turn almost hit a tree, there should be no reason for that as the radius is average. Rear visibility with spare not good, but who cares whats behind you! Also exterior color choice limited and not USA conducive, no bright white, no colorful colors. Do not know how it will perform on the road as I will use it for minimal road use and beach driving. I get nervous with a vehicle produce in France as my experience has not been pleasureful with that. A US$92K list for my spec order is pricey, but the first US production vehicles will tell the tale on ride, quality, fit, finish and performance. I think the US dealer network will be key and as a limited upscale customer should be treated as such. Valet service, parts availability, attention to detail, immediate servicing, service loaners and delivering a detailed service completed vehicle is what is expected so do not let us down. Finally, I believe Ineos factory communications have been good with me through email, but the NY test drive offered no new additional information. Communication is a big key to success. Open mind until I receive, After market accessory companies have an open book with the Grenadier and will report when mine arrives. I put my order in September of 2021 so I presume mine will be one of the first.
How did you put your order in September 2021?
They didn't start taking orders outside US until May 2022 and inside US May 2023.

Back
Top Bottom