The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Grenadier Test drive North America

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
Even though I was privileged to drive the truck in LA with Stu and Greg Clark, I am going to RDS tomorrow for a test drive and look around. Plan is to take some pics and maybe some measurements.

If there is anything specific someone would like a photo or dimension of please let me know. I’m leaving home at 8:30 so reach out before then.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And if the full amount… suggest they should charge less 😬
make cant refuse GIF

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Krabby how was the test drive?
The drive was great - as was sitting down and chatting with @Michael Juliana from RDS.

I drove a TM (which is what I have on order) and it rides great; I did not drive on the highway, but 40-50 mph on windy roads that went up and down hills. Smooth, sure footed, and solid are understatements! The steering thing is a non-issue and won't take long to master and in many ways, it steers like my Disco II and my 80 Series LC.

Besides again reaffirming my decision to buy an IG, I walked away with a few other things. Not a shock to anyone, but for those who haven't driven one yet - the view out the back is really bad. Between the spare tire, headrests, and barn doors, it's pretty useless TBH and I am going to seriously consider one of the video rear view mirror/camera things. I just think it's a good move that can easily be returned to stock should it be more frustrating than useful. I am also hoping that a headrest delete kit (something like tidy like THIS )becomes available because it will help.

The IA sidesteps are very usable to get in, but not really great for getting out. I did not order the factory ones because I knew I want a slider/step combo like the ones from @buzzspecialvehicles and @Black Sheep but I think most folks will want something regardless - it's a high entryway.

The build quality is as solid as others say but there are still questionable things like the cuts around the seats on the floor liner and some wonky plastic stuff (ie, had trouble getting the jack cover panel to pop off). The piano black trim bits look nice but I will definitely be wrapping them as I feel they will get scratched up in no time. I have not made any decisions on what I'll do, it might just be an addition of clear or matte ppf, but I am leaning towards getting away from black into something warmer since I specd the saddle leather.

I noticed that the selector dial appears to be easily scratched up too - at the very least I would put a piece of clear wrap in there, but more likely than not, I'll get with @Stu_Barnes and maybe design an insert with the club logo or something.

Again, I am more confident in my decision to purchase a Grenadier and as I said to Stu, the wait is getting harder and harder!

Local time
Reaction score
The IA sidesteps are very usable to get in, but not really great for getting out.
That was my experience with the sidesteps on a PTO2: easy in, not so easy out.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:04 PM
Reaction score
That was my experience with the sidesteps on a PTO2: easy in, not so easy out.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!
I have the rock sliders; I grab the roof gutter with one hand , one foot in the vehicle and project/hoist myself in.
Getting out you have to drop down over the seat bolster, whether you have steps or not,
That bolster is going to wear on everyone's vehicles.
What I do is hold the gutter with fingers of hands (chin up position) and lift my arse up and over the bolster as I drop to the ground.
I do not hang off with full bodyweight.
This method may not work for everyone , but it does for me!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The drive was great - as was sitting down and chatting with @Michael Juliana from RDS.

I drove a TM (which is what I have on order) and it rides great; I did not drive on the highway, but 40-50 mph on windy roads that went up and down hills. Smooth, sure footed, and solid are understatements! The steering thing is a non-issue and won't take long to master and in many ways, it steers like my Disco II and my 80 Series LC.

Besides again reaffirming my decision to buy an IG, I walked away with a few other things. Not a shock to anyone, but for those who haven't driven one yet - the view out the back is really bad. Between the spare tire, headrests, and barn doors, it's pretty useless TBH and I am going to seriously consider one of the video rear view mirror/camera things. I just think it's a good move that can easily be returned to stock should it be more frustrating than useful. I am also hoping that a headrest delete kit (something like tidy like THIS )becomes available because it will help.

The IA sidesteps are very usable to get in, but not really great for getting out. I did not order the factory ones because I knew I want a slider/step combo like the ones from @buzzspecialvehicles and @Black Sheep but I think most folks will want something regardless - it's a high entryway.

The build quality is as solid as others say but there are still questionable things like the cuts around the seats on the floor liner and some wonky plastic stuff (ie, had trouble getting the jack cover panel to pop off). The piano black trim bits look nice but I will definitely be wrapping them as I feel they will get scratched up in no time. I have not made any decisions on what I'll do, it might just be an addition of clear or matte ppf, but I am leaning towards getting away from black into something warmer since I specd the saddle leather.

I noticed that the selector dial appears to be easily scratched up too - at the very least I would put a piece of clear wrap in there, but more likely than not, I'll get with @Stu_Barnes and maybe design an insert with the club logo or something.

Again, I am more confident in my decision to purchase a Grenadier and as I said to Stu, the wait is getting harder and harder!
Here’s a few photos.

IMG_8936.jpegIMG_8943.jpegIMG_8947.jpeg

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did you ask about the inverter? 2400W? Do all NA Gren's get it, or only those that specified the Power Take-off 400W?

Reactions: jwb

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did you ask about the inverter? 2400W? Do all NA Gren's get it, or only those that specified the Power Take-off 400W?
Did not ask - but there are two plugs (which I did not know). One is on the back of the cubby and the other by the jack opening.

I'll be honest, even if I asked, I am not confident he would have know the answer.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did not ask - but there are two plugs (which I did not know). One is on the back of the cubby and the other by the jack opening.

I'll be honest, even if I asked, I am not confident he would have know the answer.
@Tom109 based on what the plug says, that is a 2400W inverter

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It would have been nice if the NA configurator had correctly stated 2400W instead of 400W inverter…
Initially (before a configurator was available, even for MY23), the plan was 2400W; when the NA configurator came online, this was modified to a 400W (more inline with other similar vehicles).

I would imagine, and this is assuming the MY24 NA vehicles have the same 2kw inverter included, it was a last minute availability change. Of course, this could all change once the actual MY24 vehicles arrive

Local time
Reaction score
Did you not spec because of that?
Yup. I included the inverter in my original build but dropped it from my pre-order when I realized how useless a 400W inverter would be (for me).

Initially (before a configurator was available, even for MY23), the plan was 2400W; when the NA configurator came online, this was modified to a 400W (more inline with other similar vehicles).

I would imagine, and this is assuming the MY24 NA vehicles have the same 2kw inverter included, it was a last minute availability change. Of course, this could all change once the actual MY24 vehicles arrive
I just checked--the NA configurator still shows 400W (not 2400W). I personally wouldn't roll the dice on selecting the 400W inverter on the off chance IA calls a factory audible and installs a 2400W inverter.

Back
Top Bottom