The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel System Problems

subhunterG9

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys, I wanted to share my recent challenges with my Grenadier. Not to complain but to inform and seek out any similar problems. I bought my 2024 Grenadier in February. Due to travel, I only drove it 400 miles the first two months. A month ago, while driving on a very busy residential street, the car died and check engine light came on. I was stuck in the street….so I tried to get it going. Long story short, it would not run. So, I had it towed up to the Dallas/Plano dealership.
The dealership has been awesome. The first diagnosis was that I had water in the fuel. So they emptied it, dried it and refueled. They also replaced the “sending Unit” ( fuel pump). After doing that, they test drove it for around 30 miles, all good. So they delivered it back to me. The next morning when I first drove it, I made it about 50 feet and it died again. Same symptoms.
So, the dealer is picking it back up to see what they can find.
Has anyone else had any fuel related problems? (other than the topping off problem)
I love this rig…..but this is concerning. Besides this issue the car is amazing…..
I will update this as we progress.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
Ok guys, I wanted to share my recent challenges with my Grenadier. Not to complain but to inform and seek out any similar problems. I bought my 2024 Grenadier in February. Due to travel, I only drove it 400 miles the first two months. A month ago, while driving on a very busy residential street, the car died and check engine light came on. I was stuck in the street….so I tried to get it going. Long story short, it would not run. So, I had it towed up to the Dallas/Plano dealership.
The dealership has been awesome. The first diagnosis was that I had water in the fuel. So they emptied it, dried it and refueled. They also replaced the “sending Unit” ( fuel pump). After doing that, they test drove it for around 30 miles, all good. So they delivered it back to me. The next morning when I first drove it, I made it about 50 feet and it died again. Same symptoms.
So, the dealer is picking it back up to see what they can find.
Has anyone else had any fuel related problems? (other than the topping off problem)
I love this rig…..but this is concerning. Besides this issue the car is amazing…..
I will update this as we progress.
Interesting
Not sure how you would get water in your fuel when the fuel is in the tank.
Water in fuel before putting it in the vehicle is a relatively common problem.
Particularly diesel which is why it comes with a diesel water separator.
1715978456724.jpg

Vote:
Upvote 0

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:51 PM
Reaction score
Interesting
Not sure how you would get water in your fuel when the fuel is in the tank.
Water in fuel before putting it in the vehicle is a relatively common problem.
Particularly diesel which is why it comes with a diesel water separator.
View attachment 7857206
I guess it’s a petrol vehicle as in the USA 🤔

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
It will be most certainly a low battery due to low usage. Put it on a trickle charger overnight.
Surely once the vehicle has actually started, it wouldn't break down due to a low battery as the alternator would be supplying charge?

l've jump started vehicles with a flat battery, and unless the battery is completely flat they'll carry on running once started.
If the battery is completely flat, as in the headlights won't come on, then the starter pack or jump leads needs to be left in place for a few minutes after the engine is running, but after that it will run on its own.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Surely once the vehicle has actually started, it wouldn't break down due to a low battery as the alternator would be supplying charge?

l've jump started vehicles with a flat battery, and unless the battery is completely flat they'll carry on running once started.
If the battery is completely flat, as in the headlights won't come on, then the starter pack or jump leads needs to be left in place for a few minutes after the engine is running, but after that it will run on its own.
You’re probably right. I didn’t read it properly. With all the electronics and sensors in the car, with little usage and some (not all) grenadier not charging properly due to software issues. One of the first things to eliminate is charging it up and take it from there. I had another new vehicle with same Bosch software and battery issues. I kid you not, the new cars now come with a trickle charger.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Mercedes throws all sorts of fault codes if battery not topped up. Wouldn’t surprise me if the problem boiled down to battery condition

Vote:
Upvote 0

subhunterG9

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well it is petrol. Clearly not electrical related as everything works electrically. It cuts out and when it does run it is not steady. So clearly fuel related. Not sure what codes are popping. I am not buying the water in the fuel cause….but we will see.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Chrismox

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Saw a YouTube video of a guy that took his for the Mexican 1000 in Baja and it would not start after he finished and had to get it trucked all the way back to California. Have not seen resolution video yet.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score
Saw a YouTube video of a guy that took his for the Mexican 1000 in Baja and it would not start after he finished and had to get it trucked all the way back to California. Have not seen resolution video yet.
He’s a member here. Poke around and you can find his story.

Vote:
Upvote 0

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Still being looked at….
Any conclusion here? Water in the fuel for a petrol is NOT very common, but with the high pressure direct injection, like the diesel models, having a fuel/water separator would be a good idea. Curious to see what the dealer says this time around.

Vote:
Upvote 0

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:51 AM
Reaction score
Got to be something ignition related. Water in fuel isn't a terrible thesis but it sounds like that has been ruled out by recent service work.

Do you have a scanner? I wonder what a scan tool would say in terms of error codes. I bought a cheap one on Amazon which I use to read codes off the odb port. It may give you some hints.

Since it is ignition a bmw tech should be able to scan the car and give a pointer to what they think it is. I wouldnt let them service the car, is under warranty, but i think getting a second quick diagnosis would be helpful. An independent bmw shop may do that for cheap. Sometimes parts stores does that for free. But the car needs to get there which sounds like yours doesn't.

Grounding problem?

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom