The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel Gauge Discrepancy

STT22

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar problem with their fuel gauge accuracy?

Here's what happened: After filling up my tank, the fuel gauge system showed a remaining range of over 330 miles, which seemed off compared to the usual estimate of >270 miles I get after a refill. Over a few days, while driving around 50-60 miles, the gauge strangely didn't show any decrease in fuel. Moreover, the estimated remaining range was inconsistent—initially indicating >330 miles, then suddenly dropping to >300 miles (after driving only a few miles) and then 290 miles.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar problem with their fuel gauge accuracy?

Here's what happened: After filling up my tank, the fuel gauge system showed a remaining range of over 330 miles, which seemed off compared to the usual estimate of >270 miles I get after a refill. Over a few days, while driving around 50-60 miles, the gauge strangely didn't show any decrease in fuel. Moreover, the estimated remaining range was inconsistent—initially indicating >330 miles, then suddenly dropping to >300 miles (after driving only a few miles) and then 290 miles.

Yes, the gauge indicates range based on your previous driving fuel consumption. For example if I full up during a long journey on decent roads when I'm getting 27mpg (diesel Fieldmaster) then my range is >400 miles
But if my next journeys are low mileage cold stop start journeys it can drop to 300 miles. Then if I do a long journey with good mpg it will increase the range.
So in effect it is indicating your range available if you were to continue your journey driving at your current style and journey situation.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:17 AM
Reaction score

There are two issues you raise:
The first is the estimated range based on previous driving habits as Eric has explained.
The second relates to the accuracy of the sensor measuring remaining fuel volume in the tank.
The tank is not of a consistent regular shape therefore the amount of fluid which has to be removed (or added) to produce a consistent change in the fuel gauge reading e.g full to 3/4 or say 1/2 to 1/4 will vary depending on the fluid level.
Many vehicles from other brands share this anomaly.
I asked an Ineos engineer recently about this and he said that they had tried all manner of algorithms to resolve it, but at best it's an approximation... however the latest s/w upgrade xxxxx1946 has improved the issue.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Top Cat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
Hi DenisM,
It has caught me out too travelling through the SA outback which is fairly sparsely populated and fuel supply can be an issue with such a small tank, especially out past Mt Dare or the Trans Continental into WA
It starts off as Greater Than then drops down and says I have around 120kms to fill
then it drops to red in minutes with bingo fuel! I am using average speed via gps to work oput how much fuel via the instant usage amnd average
It is concerning, so need to carry a jerry can or two just in case
I am very interested in the second fuel tank being tried in WA in the rear exhaust area. This will fix my problem where I go, so looking forward to further developments
My personal opinion is that in advertising a built on purpose 4x4 adventure vehicle, fuel capacity would have been one of the first must haves on the design criteria!

Vote:
Upvote 0

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's 'range anxiety' at another level altogether! :oops: and especially important with a diesel where the in-tank pump relies on surrounding fuel for cooling...

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score

Yes, from pick up I drove for approx 300kms and fuel gauge did not budge from 50% full. No response from dealer yet (Victoria, Australia)

Vote:
Upvote 0

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Ran my Petrol Fieldmaster close to the line…. The numbers were saying I would reach my destination with 20 miles in the tank. A sudden drop to the system saying I had zero fuel. Drove the last few miles expecting to grind to a halt - no petrol station in sight. Made it. Filled up. Suspect I was ‘running on fumes’ Not good for my blood pressure!

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score

This sounds like every Range Rover I've ever had! If I fill up, then coast down a very long slip road, my range goes to 999mls. I hit the gas and hit up the V8 and a few minutes later... 450mls.
I frankly don't really use it. Once I know the vehicle, I just watch the fuel gauge and know basis its position and my driving style when I am going to need to be filling up. I fill up at passing quarter-full anyway, never does any good to run the level down if you can avoid it.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
This sounds like every Range Rover I've ever had! If I fill up, then coast down a very long slip road, my range goes to 999mls. I hit the gas and hit up the V8 and a few minutes later... 450mls.
I frankly don't really use it. Once I know the vehicle, I just watch the fuel gauge and know basis its position and my driving style when I am going to need to be filling up. I fill up at passing quarter-full anyway, never does any good to run the level down if you can avoid it.

Surely you or rather the car is quoting instant MPG rather than average MPG there. My Amarok has both available, and like you say, coast down a hill and I am easily doing 999mpg on the instant reading.

I have never took any notice of range if I am honest on any car. I do play a game where I drive and try to get the range to go up (little things 😃). All the IG is doing is just working out how far you can go based on how you are driving over a few miles and how you are consuming fuel. I have always taken more interest in what the fuel gauge is saying tbh, however on the IG (I have not had the software update yet), the gauge and the range calculator do seem to be erratic to say the least.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
Surely you or rather the car is quoting instant MPG rather than average MPG there. My Amarok has both available, and like you say, coast down a hill and I am easily doing 999mpg on the instant reading.

I have never took any notice of range if I am honest on any car. I do play a game where I drive and try to get the range to go up (little things 😃). All the IG is doing is just working out how far you can go based on how you are driving over a few miles and how you are consuming fuel. I have always taken more interest in what the fuel gauge is saying tbh, however on the IG (I have not had the software update yet), the gauge and the range calculator do seem to be erratic to say the least.
Yes totally, I am sure the computer is using the MPG from the current trip, or the MPG of some previous set period of time, then just using that value against the reading from the tank sensor. I would doubt it's being smart enough to calculate some sort of combined figure based on predicted driving style, but maybe.
The fact I get a material increase when driving gently, suggests the former. Anyways, I just know I'm not going to get more than 500 miles out of a tank, and I refill 25% anyway.
The miles left is only any use if you're thinking "do I fill up here, or leave it another 60 miles because it's cheaper there" sort of thing.

Vote:
Upvote 0

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Like most vehicles it works out the remaining range based on your average fuel economy.
This will change greatly depending on your current and recent driving characteristics.
My vehicle is a diesel and after filling last week it showed >560 kms remaining
Then I drove in some twisty uphill roads and it dropped to 420 kms.
After coasting down the other side it went back up to >560 kms.
It seems to draw the line at 560 kms.
I am averaging around 12 Litres per 100 kms so in theory 750 kms per tank.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Sarven

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I'm having similar problems
I don't thing the fuel gauge is accurate;
after a fill up, the fuel gauge and distance to empty does not change for at least 50 to 60 miles. In addition, at my last fill-up, my check engine light came on. I checked the codes with a scanner which produced code P0461 (fuel level sensor performance issue). I re-set the codes, all looks well, I'll keep you posted when I go for my next fill-up. I'm hoping someone from Ineos will respond to mine and other posts. I haven' seen them chime in yet and it would be really helpful if they would.
Finally, I'm also finding the altimeter is off by 100ft roughly. I'm hoping a software update will fix it, but I don't know of any such update out yet.

Vote:
Upvote 0

rbarsk

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm having similar problems
I don't thing the fuel gauge is accurate;
after a fill up, the fuel gauge and distance to empty does not change for at least 50 to 60 miles. In addition, at my last fill-up, my check engine light came on. I checked the codes with a scanner which produced code P0461 (fuel level sensor performance issue). I re-set the codes, all looks well, I'll keep you posted when I go for my next fill-up. I'm hoping someone from Ineos will respond to mine and other posts. I haven' seen them chime in yet and it would be really helpful if they would.
Finally, I'm also finding the altimeter is off by 100ft roughly. I'm hoping a software update will fix it, but I don't know of any such update out yet.
I am having the same issue. My fuel gauge is at 260 miles and won’t change until after 100 miles of driving.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom