The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel gauge

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:46 AM
Reaction score
And according to GC it (and its mpg calculations) get more accurate with time.

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
My fuel gauge is accurate and the range is reasonably accurate. The only annoying thing is the early warning about low fuel (I get it with 70kms to go), its loud as a loud thing and freaks me out.
Not sure but can you adjust the volume by going to
SETTINGS/ ACOUSTIC SETTINGS / WARNING SOUNDS (or maybe Notification volume). since I have a full tank at the moment I can’t test but this might work.

moosetown

Production/Transit
Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
And according to GC it (and its mpg calculations) get more accurate with time.
Why should the full gauge need time to become accurate, or calibration, or software updates? It's a friggin fuel gauge. My '90 Cherokee could tell me the fuel level accurately. This isn't hard INEOS.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why should the full gauge need time to become accurate, or calibration, or software updates? It's a friggin fuel gauge. My '90 Cherokee could tell me the fuel level accurately. This isn't hard INEOS.
It’s not the fuel guage, this is precise and accurate including the Remaining Fuel percentage shown on the Vehicle Information screen. AdBlue guage in the diesel is likewise accurate, noting that it can be overfilled ~1.5 litres.

The inaccuracy is with the remaining range calculation. This is obviously an algorithm in the software that calculates a distance to empty based on fuel remaining and current or average fuel consumption, at a minimum.

After 17,000kms I have not seen the accuracy improve.

A bit of mental arithmetic substitutes though due to the fuel level being available as a percentage as mentioned above.

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:46 PM
Reaction score
My range gauge and compass went nuts yesterday. I had returned home and was at idle and the compass was going around in circles while the range was counting up and down rapidly.

Never had before. Maybe doesn't like being left for ten days on a battery charger.

Also got ecall error, heating coil error.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Don’t shoot the messenger 😁

I was referring to the calculation of mpg and dte, but I don’t disagree with your frustration. Not unlike my take on the HVAC controls, KISS makes the most sense and I think in an effort to justify the pricing, IA missed the boat some.

@Jean Mercier KISS - keep it simple, stupid

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
Don’t shoot the messenger 😁

I was referring to the calculation of mpg and dte, but I don’t disagree with your frustration. Not unlike my take on the HVAC controls, KISS makes the most sense and I think in an effort to justify the pricing, IA missed the boat some.

@Jean Mercier KISS - keep it simple, stupid
You forgot quite some other abbreviations: mpg, dte, HVAC, IA. :devilish:
Only dte I had to look up :unsure:, but found it: Distance To Empty. :)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You forgot quite some other abbreviations: mpg, dte, HVAC, IA. :devilish:
Only dte I had to look up :unsure:, but found it: Distance To Empty. :)
Once covered elsewhere we do not review acronyms. It’s your responsibility to prepare for the final exam - there is no review session. The professors are very busy. 🤣🤣🤣

Local time
Reaction score
Not sure but can you adjust the volume by going to
SETTINGS/ ACOUSTIC SETTINGS / WARNING SOUNDS (or maybe Notification volume). since I have a full tank at the moment I can’t test but this might work.
Did you figure out how to turn down the volume on the low fuel warning, bc just like you, it scare the sh+t out of me...everything I've tried hasn't worked.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Estimated remaining range was 163km
Went for a 2km test in the new van ; it dropped to 53km.
Drove 15km to refuel ; range dropped to 51km.
Filled up with 69.5 L...
Trust the gauge not the algorithm?
I still don't know but based on the above , yes.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Our Subaru Impreza, even with Brisbane's record of 60 days in a row where the overnight temp. hasn't dropped below 20deg C, still gobbles fuel at a great rate when doing short runs from a cold start (13.5 L/100km) approx 21mpgUK. Once it's warmed up and has been cruising at 95kmh for 30 -40km the consumption on the display drops to 5.8L/100km. Takes ages for the distance to empty algorithm to adjust accordingly. The algorithm is quick to "punish" when the loud pedal is used occasionally.. say overtaking.... and slow to "forgive" when an economical driving style is resumed...!

My Trialmaster diesel received the latest s/w version yesterday (xxxxx1946). The tech. lads said the fuel gauge should be more 'linear' now. Need to go for a drive!!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My Trialmaster diesel received the latest s/w version yesterday (xxxxx1946). The tech. lads said the fuel gauge should be more 'linear' now. Need to go for a drive!!
Mine has had xxxxx1946 since delivery October!

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Our Subaru Impreza, even with Brisbane's record of 60 days in a row where the overnight temp. hasn't dropped below 20deg C, still gobbles fuel at a great rate when doing short runs from a cold start (13.5 L/100km) approx 21mpgUK. Once it's warmed up and has been cruising at 95kmh for 30 -40km the consumption on the display drops to 5.8L/100km. Takes ages for the distance to empty algorithm to adjust accordingly. The algorithm is quick to "punish" when the loud pedal is used occasionally.. say overtaking.... and slow to "forgive" when an economical driving style is resumed...!

' Punish' and 'forgive': Excellent analogy @DenisM. The finance market puts it thusly: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Let's just acknowledge that it's a dumb trip computer looking back in time to guess the future. It's not AI. It will attempt to predict what the range for the next period of operation might be based on the average of what the last period of operation was. We don't know how long the 'period' is to understand how quickly the trip computer recalibrates after a change in driving conditions; i.e. traffic, load, speed, loud pedal, etc.

Back
Top Bottom