The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel gauge

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if IA will be recalibration the fuel gauge as part of the software update?
My experience with both the petrol and the diesel is that the low fuel warning (60-70 miles left) comes on with about 30 litres still in the tank. The range 000 warning comes on with about 20 litres in the tank. The gauge itself reads pretty accurately, ie at 000 miles it still shows 3-4 bars.

I find this annoying for a couple of reasons. Firstly the low fuel warnings obscure other data on the screen. Secondly once the remaining range goes to 000 you are relying on memory and just the gauge to calculate your actual range. For me 000 (or - - - as it actually appears) should be an empty tank. On numerous occasions I reached - - - or just a few miles range only to discover that I could get 70 litres in the tank max. If the tank is 90 litres why deprive us of the last 20?

I know that in modern engines running out of fuel is bad for the pump, especially diesels, and the misfires can also damage the engine. But leaving 20 litres in the tank is excessive. 5-10 would be a better buffer..

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
Notice this myself, but without repeating what you have eloquently put, it is annoying that even the red warning comes on when there seems to be plenty of fuel still left in the tank.

gkhaldi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
I think the lead software developer at IA is shouting in the office right now “ it works as designed. It’s a feature not a bug. We want to be sure our clients don’t run out of fuel” 🤣

Just kidding. I do hope they fix it because I’m experiencing the same thing and I hate red permanent messages that obscure the actual information you need.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My low level warning indicates when around 20 litres are left in the tank!

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I already complained about this in this thread: fuel economy

I think they exaggerate with their unnecessarily early warnings! I have now another warning of this style: "Service in 22 days", also posted in another thread with my complaint. I don't understand the logic of this! This means that in the next three weeks, while on Holidays, I will get this warning. Curious what happens when I will reach 0 days! 😨

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In my opinion this is more an information than a warning. Nothing will happen if you do no service. If you would go on holiday in 18 days it might be a relevant information as you would have time to service the car before you departure tp Timbuktu.

Barttraeger

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
4:42 PM
Reaction score
My remaining range dropped to - - - - at about 50 km to go. I filled up around 2km later and was able to add 81 liters of diesel. Personally I would prefer a count down to zero range because as Tom says, the current set up leaves you working on memory about how far you can go. Perhaps I accidentally chose the ‘remaining range panic’ option ; )

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know if IA will be recalibration the fuel gauge as part of the software update?
My experience with both the petrol and the diesel is that the low fuel warning (60-70 miles left) comes on with about 30 litres still in the tank. The range 000 warning comes on with about 20 litres in the tank. The gauge itself reads pretty accurately, ie at 000 miles it still shows 3-4 bars.

I find this annoying for a couple of reasons. Firstly the low fuel warnings obscure other data on the screen. Secondly once the remaining range goes to 000 you are relying on memory and just the gauge to calculate your actual range. For me 000 (or - - - as it actually appears) should be an empty tank. On numerous occasions I reached - - - or just a few miles range only to discover that I could get 70 litres in the tank max. If the tank is 90 litres why deprive us of the last 20?

I know that in modern engines running out of fuel is bad for the pump, especially diesels, and the misfires can also damage the engine. But leaving 20 litres in the tank is excessive. 5-10 would be a better buffer..
That suits me to be on the safe side, fuel stations are few and far between around were I live. And E5 petrol is like hens teeth or rocking horse shit. Nearest 15 miles away.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
My remaining range dropped to - - - - at about 50 km to go. I filled up around 2km later and was able to add 81 liters of diesel. Personally I would prefer a count down to zero range because as Tom says, the current set up leaves you working on memory about how far you can go. Perhaps I accidentally chose the ‘remaining range panic’ option ; )
My current vehicle comes up with a warning to refill and that I am on the reserve tank.
It asks if I want to be directed to the nearest service station to fill up.
If you fill up straight away it will take about 58 litres of diesel.
It has a 69 litre tank and uses less than 5L/100km on the motorway.
So that last 10 litres would be good for about 200kms before you run out.

1693681753222.png

Barttraeger

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
4:42 PM
Reaction score
I am getting around 12ltr per 100km out of the Grenadier so assuming all of the remaining 9 liters were accessible (which I doubt) that would be 75 km. In other words the 50km warning seems about right!

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well today we went to Cragside. When I started the car I had an amber 67 miles remaining. Then as I reversed out the remaining miles dropped to - - - ( it on a slope so the fuel must have run to the back) on the journey the range never changed from- - - . After 25 miles I stopped and filled her up. 67 litres. So if you live somewhere really flat, @Jean Mercier maybe the gauge will read more true? But round here it can go to zero with a bit of a hill climb.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well today we went to Cragside. When I started the car I had an amber 67 miles remaining. Then as I reversed out the remaining miles dropped to - - - ( it on a slope so the fuel must have run to the back) on the journey the range never changed from- - - . After 25 miles I stopped and filled her up. 67 litres. So if you live somewhere really flat, @Jean Mercier maybe the gauge will read more true? But round here it can go to zero with a bit of a hill climb.
I experienced exactly the same. When it moves from zero red stripes to 4 back and forth, I know I still have ⛽️. When it stays on the lowest red stripe without moving I get scared 😱. It happened once; I did put about 87.5 liter in the tank.

nzmark

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
I've been told that the software update will address this. I am (apparently) getting the software updates this week. It would be great if we could configure the warnings ourselves so when around town, give yourself (say) 20km, but on a big trip, give yourself whatever margin you want.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I already complained about this in this thread: fuel economy

I think they exaggerate with their unnecessarily early warnings! I have now another warning of this style: "Service in 22 days", also posted in another thread with my complaint. I don't understand the logic of this! This means that in the next three weeks, while on Holidays, I will get this warning. Curious what happens when I will reach 0 days! 😨
I have a warning today telling me my service is overdue 2,230 days!

I took delivery 4 days ago

Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
I experienced exactly the same. When it moves from zero red stripes to 4 back and forth, I know I still have ⛽️. When it stays on the lowest red stripe without moving I get scared 😱. It happened once; I did put about 87.5 liter in the tank.
Christ that was cutting it close :p 2.5 liters :O

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Honestly, the fuel gauge is a mystery! Just over a quarter of a tank left and 111 range. I don’t trust it! I have the latest software update also so it’s not addressed with that.
Filled up recently at exactly half way - it took 62 ltrs 🤷‍♂️
IMG_6073.jpeg

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully the tank is actually 93 litres, or something like that. Anyone know?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Honestly, the fuel gauge is a mystery! Just over a quarter of a tank left and 111 range. I don’t trust it! I have the latest software update also so it’s not addressed with that.
Filled up recently at exactly half way - it took 62 ltrs 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 7828155
The algorithm or whatever they use to calculate remaining distance is dependent on overall consumption thus far for a given distance. The system "knows" exactly how much fuel is delivered by the pump and calculates distance by wheel rotation. No doubt it takes a conservative estimate to ensure you don't run short. The in-tank pump is kept cool by the surrounding fuel. Running v. low is a risk and thus a trade-off I guess between need/ circumstances.
The half way mark on mine is way less than an assumed 45L. The 3/4 mark is about 45 +/- 5L.. at the pump. !
Sadly, I don't have the space/facilities any more to drain the tank and refill it using a measuring container to calibrate the levels on the fuel gauge.

Back
Top Bottom