The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fridge

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
A Platinum Commander?

Happy with it?
Not a Platinum, just a Commander "S" up speced with long draw bar, air suspension (IMO a must) twin lithium sirocco fans etc etc, hands down the best off road camper I've had (my old 390 comes close but this is a big step up) would recommend one to anyone looking for a solid, simple easy to modify off road trailer. I personally don't see the value in the newer models as not a lot has changed apart form the pop top which goes straight up now instead of hinged from the back, new models are either from SA or China, electrics are crap and it's the first stop for many owners, but once they are where you want them they are fantastic.

Attachments

• 334899314_944643376656996_2910560815074931909_n.jpg
    334899314_944643376656996_2910560815074931909_n.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 82

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
My 40ltr Engel is approx 35 years old. Been on every day in vehicle and out. Do many desert trips with lots of corrogations.
looks beaten up but works as good as the day I bought it.
"They don't build 'em like they used to"
We're still using the microwave we bought in 1986. Got the radiation burns to prove it 😁

Reactions: PBD

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
My 40ltr Engel is approx 35 years old. Been on every day in vehicle and out. Do many desert trips with lots of corrogations.
looks beaten up but works as good as the day I bought it.
They are bullet prove foreshore and my money is going on the 30 litre draw but I do have a 60 litre EvaCool for the bigger trip.

Reactions: PBD

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"They don't build 'em like they used to"
We're still using the microwave we bought in 1986. Got the radiation burns to prove it 😁
To that point though, are the Engels presently on sale of the quality they once were?
Or have these also seen the slow erosion we see in any other product one might think of? (Fällkniven excluded)

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
We have been trying out packing the Grenadier And wired in the ARB fridge socket. Nothing fancy just an easy solution. The cable for the fridge goes through a gap into the battery compartment by right side passenger door on two seat commerciaL and ARB socket bolted to framework inside battery compartment. Fridge has yet to be fixed in place IMG_1691.jpeg

IMG_1690.jpegIMG_1688.jpegIMG_1692.jpeg

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To that point though, are the Engels presently on sale of the quality they once were?
Or have these also seen the slow erosion we see in any other product one might think of? (Fällkniven excluded)
My EvaCool tech claims they(Engels) are still up there and believes there product is along side of them…as you would but it just so happens for me to be a little large in the draw fridge side of things…I will be sourcing the Engels 30 Lt

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am also curious to the reliability of modern brands. I can’t exactly purchase a well-made 30-year-old Engle, so how well do these new boxes stack up on reliability, and power-consumption/performance???
  • National Luna 50L Legacy Smart
  • Dometic CFX3 55IM
  • ARB ???
This will be slide-mounted in a dual-battery Gren loadspace, solar top-up or 120v at home.

(I am leaning toward one of the first two).

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am also curious to the reliability of modern brands. I can’t exactly purchase a well-made 30-year-old Engle, so how well do these new boxes stack up on reliability, and power-consumption/performance???
  • National Luna 50L Legacy Smart
  • Dometic CFX3 55IM
  • ARB ???
This will be slide-mounted in a dual-battery Gren loadspace, solar top-up or 120v at home.

(I am leaning toward one of the first two).
What about a new Engel? They still use the same compressor design which is they key to their reliability.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
I’d add Waeco to the consider-list. I have a 15-20y old (can’t remember exactly) 40L Waeco that has seen a lot of abuse, and some laps of Australia. Used to sleep with my head near it in the campervan, very quiet. Currently on semi-permanent beer cooling duty in the garage.

Slightly more compact than comparable size Engle IIRC from time of purchasing.

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Ive had Engel since they started with a yellow painted lid ...and still have an Engel today. The robustness has not changed one little bit as far as Im aware. tried some of the other brands once but quickly returned to Engel, ...lesson learnt.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Love my engel 60L but it’s too big for the IG. 😢
If I go another chest fridge it’ll be a smaller engel again, or the Bushman 35-52L that people here have given huge raps to. Not sure if Bushman export to the US.
I have a number of mates with the older ARB fridges and they all rate them as well.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Love my engel 60L but it’s too big for the IG. 😢
If I go another chest fridge it’ll be a smaller engel again, or the Bushman 35-52L that people here have given huge raps to. Not sure if Bushman export to the US.
I have a number of mates with the older ARB fridges and they all rate them as well.
The 60L will fit if you remove the handles?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The 60L will fit if you remove the handles?
Yeah I’m not sure it will sitting on a small drawer slide going by my measurements. I’ll wait to see before selling and buying again though. The floor is long enough just, but the seat angling up stuffs it up I think. And stupidly the seat is fixed at one position only, so not even the option to have the rear seat sitting more upright.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
The floor is long enough just, but the seat angling up stuffs it up I think. And stupidly the seat is fixed at one position only, so not even the option to have the rear seat sitting more upright.

If you have an M1 then you can put the seat back more upright.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What about a new Engel? They still use the same compressor design which is they key to their reliability.
I will certainly add Engel. Ive just begun to investigate options, starting with a relatively recent fridge test in overland journal. They did a cool-down, warm-up, extensive amp-draw analysis. I’ll need to dig a little further on compressor types…

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
The compressor is a critical part, but only one part. I use a Unique fridge (name brand - they are available at Costco from time to time and Home Depot). It's a fantastic fridge that uses the same Danfoss compressor common in the Engels/ARBs/SnoMasters. It's Bluetooth controlled so it's easy to adjust temperatures and such, and can go from fridge temps to -30 C if I ask it to. It's a bit heavy on the power - about 30 Amp Hours for 24 hours in 25 degree weather - but it's a nice, big, dual-zone unit and it came at the right price (under $800).

However, the best compressor in the world is irrelevant if the electronics that control the compressor go on the fritz. In my case, I had a voltage spike (man-made - I flipped my master disconnect on, then off, too quickly) and as a result I caused some kind of an issue in the fridge's control board. The folks at Unique were great - they sent out a replacement right away and even rushed the shipping - and it wasn't too expensive at $140.00 for the repair. The tough thing about this electronic failure is that the fridge didn't stop working - it just wouldn't stay on its set temperature. I'd set it at 4 degrees, and wake up to it being -25. I'd set it for -25, and wake up to it being +10. The compressor cycled on an off as it should, but it became impossible to set the temp reliably.

But, I suspect that a lot of the stories you are hearing about these fridges that have lasted 20 or 30 years may not be the norm now, as so many manufactures are introducing things like bluetooth and fancier control modules, and I suspect that is a likely common failure area. So, another consideration for you beyond compressor: Who stocks the control boards? You will have better luck with an ARB or Engel, just because of the volume they sell means parts are more accessible, than you will with a more niche brand.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
For reference. This is the bushman fridge running in 52L spec.
We got the Bushman on reputation , versatility , componentry (relatively simple) and in particular the superb after sales service.
I have never read an adverse review.

Back
Top Bottom