The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fridge

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
How far back is that pushed toward the seats @YIPPE ?? Is there still room behind it?
Yes still room. Ill measure later today. But I think enough room for a battery. That's actually all the way forward clearing handle of the door. I went base spec and added what I needed. I thought it still had a rear cig socket but it doesn't. So my idea is to use my baintech battery box behind fridge. Will confirm this today.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The compressor is a critical part, but only one part. I use a Unique fridge (name brand - they are available at Costco from time to time and Home Depot). It's a fantastic fridge that uses the same Danfoss compressor common in the Engels/ARBs/SnoMasters. It's Bluetooth controlled so it's easy to adjust temperatures and such, and can go from fridge temps to -30 C if I ask it to. It's a bit heavy on the power - about 30 Amp Hours for 24 hours in 25 degree weather - but it's a nice, big, dual-zone unit and it came at the right price (under $800).

However, the best compressor in the world is irrelevant if the electronics that control the compressor go on the fritz. In my case, I had a voltage spike (man-made - I flipped my master disconnect on, then off, too quickly) and as a result I caused some kind of an issue in the fridge's control board. The folks at Unique were great - they sent out a replacement right away and even rushed the shipping - and it wasn't too expensive at $140.00 for the repair. The tough thing about this electronic failure is that the fridge didn't stop working - it just wouldn't stay on its set temperature. I'd set it at 4 degrees, and wake up to it being -25. I'd set it for -25, and wake up to it being +10. The compressor cycled on an off as it should, but it became impossible to set the temp reliably.

But, I suspect that a lot of the stories you are hearing about these fridges that have lasted 20 or 30 years may not be the norm now, as so many manufactures are introducing things like bluetooth and fancier control modules, and I suspect that is a likely common failure area. So, another consideration for you beyond compressor: Who stocks the control boards? You will have better luck with an ARB or Engel, just because of the volume they sell means parts are more accessible, than you will with a more niche brand.
The Engel uses a different compressor which is what they claim makes them more reliable, not reciprocating like the type used on most portable refrigeration units. Their swing compressor appears to be an early version of a linear compressor.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes still room. Ill measure later today. But I think enough room for a battery. That's actually all the way forward clearing handle of the door. I went base spec and added what I needed. I thought it still had a rear cig socket but it doesn't. So my idea is to use my baintech battery box behind fridge. Will confirm this today.
If you've got the tape out, could you take two measurements please.
Putting the Bushman in the position you normally would (thinking just behind the plastic exit floor trim so there is a little room between it and the closed door and in line with where a set of drawers would be) how far is it from:
a) the bottom of the fridge from the bottom of the rear seat, and
b) how far is the fridge handle (assuming that's the closest part) from the seat at that level.

I'm pretty sure there will be lots of room at the floor level, just keen to know how much the seat angle effects it. I'm assuming the bushman's 690mm length becomes 710mm+ with both handles fitted?

Sorry to be a PITA. Thanks!!

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you've got the tape out, could you take two measurements please.
Putting the Bushman in the position you normally would (thinking just behind the plastic exit floor trim so there is a little room between it and the closed door and in line with where a set of drawers would be) how far is it from:
a) the bottom of the fridge from the bottom of the rear seat, and
b) how far is the fridge handle (assuming that's the closest part) from the seat at that level.

I'm pretty sure there will be lots of room at the floor level, just keen to know how much the seat angle effects it. I'm assuming the bushman's 690mm length becomes 710mm+ with both handles fitted?

Sorry to be a PITA. Thanks!!

All good. I saw your message after I removed it.

As you see it the main fridge unit was about 40mm off the door. But you can really it squeeze right upto the door. The fridges handle actually sits just above the second rear door handle. If you removed handle but not tie downs you will gain 30mm.
But as is, I think seat to handle was about 150mm.
Also without the cover it goes well with magic mushroom..
After mocking up, I won't be placing my aux battery back there. But it gives you an idea of space.

Took plenty of measurements for base plate to make a secure platform but taking my time to come up with overall design.

Attachments

• PXL_20230717_043524895.jpg
    PXL_20230717_043524895.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20230717_043530360.jpg
    PXL_20230717_043530360.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20230717_043646194.jpg
    PXL_20230717_043646194.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20230717_043635739.jpg
    PXL_20230717_043635739.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20230717_061315598.jpg
    PXL_20230717_061315598.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20230717_044135636.jpg
    PXL_20230717_044135636.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20230717_044105022.jpg
    PXL_20230717_044105022.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 75

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Reason?
Where else to mount it?
Ideally I want the battery under the seat like the factory aux. However I use that battery between cars and also can just pull it out and leave at camp if needed or in the garage with solar charge. Problem is, It's a mission to put in and out each time under the seat. I need to look into it more as it is the best spot with the weight down low.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Ideally I want the battery under the seat like the factory aux. However I use that battery between cars and also can just pull it out and leave at camp if needed or in the garage with solar charge. Problem is, It's a mission to put in and out each time under the seat. I need to look into it more as it is the best spot with the weight down low.
I've specced the aux battery but want to also carry my portable battery box , so thinking along the same lines as you.
It's heavy , but one day I'll upgrade to Lithium.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

As you see it the main fridge unit was about 40mm off the door. But you can really it squeeze right upto the door. The fridges handle actually sits just above the second rear door handle. If you removed handle but not tie downs you will gain 30mm.
After mocking up, I won't be placing my aux battery back there. But it gives you an idea of space.

Took plenty of measurements for base plate to make a secure platform but taking my time to come up with overall design.
Wow, thanks, there really isn’t much depth in the Grenadier boot at all is there. Realistically you couldn’t put anything bigger in there at all rhe way the seat rakes back like that.. might be lucky to make it fit sitting on a small drawer with top slider, but not much margin for error.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've specced the aux battery but want to also carry my portable battery box , so thinking along the same lines as you.
It's heavy , but one day I'll upgrade to Lithium.
Yes extremely heavy, once I have completed my base plate I'll have a better idea. Custom lithium in Qld do a good size battery box I plan to put under the seat possibly

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wow, thanks, there really isn’t much depth in the Grenadier boot at all is there. Realistically you couldn’t put anything bigger in there at all rhe way the seat rakes back like that.. might be lucky to make it fit sitting on a small drawer with top slider, but not much margin for error.
I believe the smallest distance is 800mm. Back of seat to doors. That's at 600mm tall. However handles and catch mechanism will shorten that. From cargo barrier to door is about 770.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score

Great information & photos! I also never thought to position the fridge on the small door side.
👍

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
You guys in Australia have a great choice of fridges and Australian made to, everything I look at here is made in China.

Must room to import your brands by someone.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great information & photos! I also never thought to position the fridge on the small door side.
👍
If you want to use the cigarette plug you kind of have to because it is on that side. I am going to use the spare circuit under the seats (compressor/dust gun) and feed a cable into the back with an Anderson plug on it.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you want to use the cigarette plug you kind of have to because it is on that side. I am going to use the spare circuit under the seats (compressor/dust gun) and feed a cable into the back with an Anderson plug on it.
That's my plan too. Wish it was switched too though

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's my plan too. Wish it was switched too though
Not an electrical expert but I think it’s probably pretty easy to install a relay and jump the relay trigger wire off one of the other switched circuits? Maybe @TheDocAUS
Has ideas.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not an electrical expert but I think it’s probably pretty easy to install a relay and jump the relay trigger wire off one of the other switched circuits? Maybe @TheDocAUS
Has ideas.
The other potential which may actually be better is to take it off the Ctek so it will shut it off if the battery gets too low.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has ideas.
Yeh true will just listen to what relay clicks off certain switches. No ctek or dual battery in mine for now. But will sort it all out. The build and working it all out is the best part.

Back
Top Bottom