The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Footwell intrusion

Local time
1:07 AM
Reaction score
When I test drove the Grenadier off road the footrest felt odd for about 2 minutes then it actually helped you feel more stable in the seat. For off-road use it the seating position seemed great. I think it will be more irritating on a long road drive when you want to stretch out. I’m 6’4” and I would say I am at the limits of being comfortable in the Grenadier. I will ask to see if the seat rails can be repositioned further back which would solve the issue completely for me.
Hey I am 6'3" the issue with me was not that the seat had to be moved back, I had no support under the leg and moving the seat up or down does jackshit to fix the problem the seat requires the eight movement. It needs to come up at the front I am looking for solutions. One thought was to place a 25 mm block under the front seat mount. Next was eying off the wifes Volvo seats with 8-way adjustment and driver memory.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey I am 6'3" the issue with me was not that the seat had to be moved back, I had no support under the leg and moving the seat up or down does jackshit to fix the problem the seat requires the eight movement. It needs to come up at the front I am looking for solutions. One thought was to place a 25 mm block under the front seat mount. Next was eying off the wifes Volvo seats with 8-way adjustment and driver memory.
Actually - shimming the two forward seat attachments would be a neat way to solve your problem.
Using, say, 1mm shims would give you very precise increments.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
Actually - shimming the two forward seat attachments would be a neat way to solve your problem.
Using, say, 1mm shims would give you very precise increments.
It would be one of bizarre coincidences if something like this fitted:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It would be one of bizarre coincidences if something like this fitted:
I assume the front seats are attached to the floor pan with 4 bolts - so I was thinking the shims could simply be washers placed between the seat frame and the floor pan with the seat bolt going through.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, probably a early morning bad idea.

Need to look at seat fixings to see if it's a simple case of this:
gallery_3162_283_8199.jpg

Or maybe some, appropriately branded, adjustable side rails like this:
recaro-pole-position-steel-sidemount-adaptor_2.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
No, it is not. There's part of the exhaust system on the RHD driver side that prevents the dead pedal from sitting flush. Search the site - there's plenty of conversation and photos on the topic.
Hi, Could you tell me where you found these conversion photos please as i can find them. I test drove the car Thursday and have to say the rest would stop me buying the car as after a 40 min drive it still felt so unnatural to have my left leg pushed higher than my right with no space to straighten my leg. I have a late disc 4 with a rest obviously and to be honest it has a much more comfortable driving position. This is my opinion only and its the only issue that i have that is holding up my order. Many thanks in advance.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, Could you tell me where you found these conversion photos please as i can find them. I test drove the car Thursday and have to say the rest would stop me buying the car as after a 40 min drive it still felt so unnatural to have my left leg pushed higher than my right with no space to straighten my leg. I have a late disc 4 with a rest obviously and to be honest it has a much more comfortable driving position. This is my opinion only and its the only issue that i have that is holding up my order. Many thanks in advance.
Have another test drive and raise the seat higher. This reduces the impact of the raised footrest. This is what I did and I don’t notice it now (1,500 miles in)

Not ideal, but it works for me. Worth a try …..

I think the conversion picture was a wind up

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
Hi Andy - I believe you misread my statement. I said there were many “conversations” about the footrest, not conversions. You’re unfortunately stuck with the toe box as it is. But, as others have said, it’s a non-issue.

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Andy - I believe you misread my statement. I said there were many “conversations” about the footrest, not conversions. You’re unfortunately stuck with the toe box as it is. Bus, as others have said, it’s a non-issue.
Plenty of people have issues with it. Most ignore it as just "a thing". It will annoy some, others will accept poor design, and for some it will be a non issue. To throw flakey statements like "it's a non issue" summising that "everyone will accept" is poor information. In your opinion it may be a non issue - but it is an issue that exists for many.

Edit: as in the view by others that it will be a non issue for everyone else is poor advice.

Local time
Reaction score
Haha. The old RHD footrest issue. In the UK press release reviews no less than 9 of the videos I watched bring up the RHD footrest. It's an oddity, no other "well engineered" vehicle that I have seen for the$100K AUD market has had such a thing exist in design note have I seen it in any modern wagon. But, as ridiculous as the design flaw is, I'll still enjoy my Gren I'm sure, even if I need an extra visit to the Chiro each month! I have photos of the RHD footrest from looking at it side on from a recent test drive. Nothing a 3 inch timber block can't fix.
Done 1800 enjoyable miles, a total non issue to me, but not been driving Aussie distances!!!

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
Done 1800 enjoyable miles, a total non issue to me, but not been driving Aussie distances!!!
Well done...that is a lot of miles if it was in a straight run...Aussie distances are what you feel comfortable with...in 1981 my wife and I drove around Aussie...daytime only and about 350 max kms a day when we moved...take a rest which we still practice every two hours...the seating position in the Gren is similar to driving a bus/truck more upright than lounging in than an SUV...we traveled in the first of the MQ Patrols for 23 thousand ks in the year and would love to do it again...but times have changed, except the want...shorter trips these days.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Plenty of people have issues with it. Most ignore it as just "a thing". It will annoy some, others will accept poor design, and for some it will be a non issue. To throw flakey statements like "it's a non issue" summising that "everyone will accept" is poor information. In your opinion it may be a non issue - but it is an issue that exists for many.

Edit: as in the view by others that it will be a non issue for everyone else is poor advice.
Even though I have no real issues with it and sometimes don’t notice it at all. Would I pay a few hundred pounds to be rid of it? Yes, probably.

Bmac

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
With work boots on it’s slightly more noticeable but still not an issue for me. I did however lift up the floor lining which has a lot of insulation causing the size of the footrest to increase by 25%. I’m even sure the brake pedal could be more offset towards the throttle IMG_5423.jpegIMG_5424.jpegIMG_5418.jpegallowing you to stretch out your left leg on long journeys with the lining fully removed. Maybe the aftermarket will design a rubber mat to replace the lining?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
With work boots on it’s slightly more noticeable but still not an issue for me. I did however lift up the floor lining which has a lot of insulation causing the size of the footrest to increase by 25%. I’m even sure the brake pedal could be more offset towards the throttle View attachment 7814075View attachment 7814076View attachment 7814077allowing you to stretch out your left leg on long journeys with the lining fully removed. Maybe the aftermarket will design a rubber mat to replace the lining?
Hey Bmac, any chance of getting a pic of the underside of the floor lining (in the hump area) so we can understand if it is thick insulation or just an air gap?

Reactions: PBD

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With work boots on it’s slightly more noticeable but still not an issue for me. I did however lift up the floor lining which has a lot of insulation causing the size of the footrest to increase by 25%. I’m even sure the brake pedal could be more offset towards the throttle View attachment 7814075View attachment 7814076View attachment 7814077allowing you to stretch out your left leg on long journeys with the lining fully removed. Maybe the aftermarket will design a rubber mat to replace the lining?
Anybody out there got a carpeted Belstaff version to compare if the matting hugs the hump, so to speak, to produce a "smaller" protrusion

Back
Top Bottom